Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interactive Fiction/Text Adventures for newcomers

Silentstorm

Learned
Yeah, i am going to admit it, all adventure games i played had graphics in them and the closest i came to playing text adventure games were adventure games with Parsers and that's about it.

It's a part of gaming that has absolutely skipped me by but i hear there are a ton of games and competitions being made all the time, some really clever and amazing games having come out of it...which i know nothing about, but reading the thread about first adventure games people played and seeing Zork being mentioned made me want to finally try them.

All i know are the Infocom games which...i will want to try, i just have heard enough about how tough they are that i fear i would need a walkthrough for some of them if i don't want to spend weeks stuck in a game, and these days i don't have the time or will for that.

Not that i don't want to play them, they just funnily enough seem to not be newcomer friendly these days.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Disagree. The Legend Entertainment games may have "quality of life" features, but they strike me as exactly the kind of content-overload that causes people trained on modern games to become overwhelmed:
1548691294-687859387.jpg

I think the first question is: what kind of games do you enjoy? Generally, I think Adam Cadre's Photopia is a pretty good entry point. It may have been the first text adventure I finished. Extraordinarily easy, quite linear, nicely written, and a few clever uses of the medium. It's a good way to (re)familiarize yourself with the basic parser commands and shortcuts (e(x)amine an object, (l)ook at a room, etc.).

Almost any more open text adventure is easy to drown in if you're unfamiliar with the genre. So working outward from Photopia, I would go to some of the quite small modern games -- Emily Short's Metamorphoses, Ian Finley's Babel, "Admiral Jota's" Lost Pig, perhaps Lynnea Glasser's Coloratura or Star Foster and David Ravipinto's Slouching Toward Bedlam. There are some others I could try to think of. Those all have puzzles, but the puzzles are pretty forgiving and logical, and they'll ease you toward larger games. The important thing is that they don't have 100 rooms, 500 items, NPCs moving around everywhere, etc. -- it requires (at least for me) a particular mental framework for dealing with games like that. Then I would do Michael Gentry's Anchorhead (a larger but still quite straightforward title), Andrew Plotkin's Spider & Web (actually a decent introductory game, but quite challenging, and it will be more fun once you're more familiar), and Emily Short's Counterfeit Monkey (pretty large game with an amazing conceit).

If you want to later circle back to the older games, you'll be more equipped to deal with them if you start with the modern stuff. Even the easiest old text adventures -- like, say, A Mind Forever Voyaging -- are easy to get overwhelmed by.

That said, if you told me that what you loved are puzzle-fests with simulationist elements, I'd steer you elsewhere, maybe Plotkin's Dreamhold or Short's Metamorphoses as the entry point, then moving to games like Short's Savoir Faire, Plotkin's Hadean Lands, etc.

I should add that my views of IF are shaped by having become interested in the genre in the late 1990s early 2000s, and then having lost interest in the mid-to-late 2000s, so I have a very Inform (and to a less extent TADS) oriented view of the genre. Twine, etc. doesn't really interest me.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Adam Cadre's Varicella is also very good, and not linear like Photopia.

But the IF I remember best are nearly all AIF:/

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Varicella is not a good entry point; it's all one very complicated puzzle that's supposed to be solved with meta-knowledge and replaying, which is a hard introduction to the genre. It's a clever game though!

Silentstorm

Learned
Hmm, story based games i like?

Well, i am a big fan of Lucasarts games, have a big soft spot for the Monkey Island series, Sierra games are great too.

Got every single Wadjet Eye game, got into them because of Blackwell, Dropsy ended up cementing my interest in indie games, Sam And Max is absolutely my favorite of the Telltale games...not that anything based on classics is automatically good, wasn't as big a fan of Guard Duty as i hoped to be, and Thimbleweed Park's 4th wall breaking twist ending was one i found really dumb and already broken by characters breaking said wall much earlier in the game...though i still enjoy the game.

Non-adventure game wise, well, Disco Elysium is one i really enjoyed, last series i played for story were the Yakuza series, not that they have deep stories, but hey, Majima being wacky and the substories helped, some cutscenes were pretty good and i enjoyed the last game the most just because it's a Yakuza/Government Conspirancy story seen through the eyes of a delusional man imagining things based on fantasy stories so all the enemies having red eyes or wacky costumes and attacks.

Though my favorite cutscene ended up being a political speech from the main character so make of that what you will:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seconding Legend games, Photopia and Thaumistry.

And speaking of IF, I just finished Anchorhead today. Decent game, but there's some moon logic there. There's no way in hell I'd have finished it without a walkthrough.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I would suggest staying away from Infocom for your earlier games. That's nothing against them, but most of them are quite unforgiving, and the ones that aren't, are in my humble opinion, bad. I remember Moonmist being one of the easier ones and yet it wasn't very good. I those unfortunate experiences tended to sour me a bit on the better aspects of the genre for a while.

Manny

Educated
Silentstorm, in addition to the suggestions mentioned, if you like horror stories, I highly recommend The King of Shreds and Patches (Jimmy Maher, 2009): it has a short guided start and the puzzles, without being obvious, are fair and none extremely complex . I also think that Theatre (Brendoy Wyver, 1995) is another good entry (it was for me at least) to the horror genre that doesn't have puzzles that difficult.

Since you mentioned that you like Lucasarts games, of the comedy genre, Violet (Jeremy Freese, 2008) is quite good. The premise is that you are a student who has to eliminate distractions from the room he is in in order to finish his thesis.

And finally, if you like fantasy, you may like The Lost Mountain (Greg Frost, 2021). The game takes place in the world of Planescape and, although the puzzles are a little too simple (at least for my taste), the rest is excellent: clear and evocative prose, good setting and atmosphere, and several possible endings.

Silentstorm

Learned
Going with Photopia, tried Adam Cadre's tutorial and what the hell, i have unlocked the door so many times with a satistying "THUNK" and it's always closed...i sure hope that was somehow the end of the tutorial or i may be too stupid for this kind of game.

But i think i got the gist of it so far.

Neuromancer

Augur
The Legend Entertainment games may have "quality of life" features, but they strike me as exactly the kind of content-overload that causes people trained on modern games to become overwhelmed:
I guess that pretty much depends on the Legend game in question and of course the generation of their adventure game engine.

If you had never played a parser game before, the later Legend games like Deathgate with their mix of Point&Click and (clickable) Parser IMHO offer an excellent introduction or transition into the more text-heavy and real parser games.

Of the older generation, I think that Gateway is also more friendly to "modern" gamers because it has lots of graphics and cutscenes for a parser adventure, is not too difficult, has smaller locations with not too many rooms at the same time - and of course is an excellent game. :)

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I played a little bit of Zork and AMFV as a kid and spent a while playing MUDs as a teenager (and in fact made a couple of text adventures in BASIC and Turbo Pascal), but tended to bounce of IF despite being a huge adventure game fan. The reason was not a keyboard interface and lack of graphics (I was very comfortable with DOS, or BBS doors, or, as noted MUDs), but the difference in design philosophy between text adventures and graphical adventures in the Sierra/Lucas vein. Pretty sure even the oldest and most rudimentary text adventures (Adventure, Colossal Cave, Zork) all had more rooms and items than pretty much any graphical adventure -- and other text adventures got larger, and larger still.

A general rule of a graphical adventure game is "can means must." If you can pick up an item, you are likely to need it; if you can interact with an object, you probably have to do so in some way in order to advance. Sometimes there are red herrings, sometimes there are bad choices that lead to immediate or delayed fail states, and sometimes there are flavor items or flavor interactions. (The more modern the graphical adventure, the fewer of these there are.) But, again, I think the general rule holds.

A general rule of text adventures is "plus ultra" -- as many rooms, items, verbs, NPCs, etc. as the code can support, you should have. This leads to truly amazing games. But it is total overload for someone trained on graphical adventures because you immediately start overloading your inventory (often limited) or going on pointless diversions and then getting frustrated that you can't resolve them. The scale of the world and its focus on compass-based mapping (with a tendency toward mischievously curving passages) can be very hard to navigate. Even the typical adventure game dialogue system (distinguishing among say, tell, and ask, and permitting any words submitted into each) can be overwhelming.

What I would basically say is that early graphical adventures had to cut all the way to the bone in order to fit both "adventure" and "graphics"; then the genre took this slimming down and made it an ethos. So even though one can draw a direct line from Colossal Cave -> Mystery House -> Wizard and the Princess -> King's Quest I -> Entire Graphical Adventure Genre, that line went in a very different direction from the one that went Colossal Cave -> Zork -> Other Infocom Titles -> "Interactive Fiction."

When a (graphical) adventure game fan wants to try out text adventures, to me the key is to find a game that still embodies the slimmed-down ethos of graphical adventures. That the player wants to play a text adventure at all means he's ready to put up with the parser interface and lack of graphics. So it's the design ethos where you need a gradual transition.

Silentstorm

Learned
I will be honest, as someone who is interested in gaming and adventure gaming, i have read horror stories of Infocom and old text games, heard some good things about them, but hearing about mazes and some puzzles really put me off for quite a while.

I recall reading Digital Antiquarian stating about how a big focus was basically cartography and hearing about how you could go back one direction and end up somewhere completely different without notice made me recall some mazes in RPG's which generally aren't my favorite parts of those games...only without graphics.

But they are still adventure games and a big part of gaming history, and i am aware that people still make IF games a lot, i noticed before i made this thread, another thread about an IF Competition of 2020 and i just got to thinking, well, i like adventure games, and games with plot, and IF naturally will have some plot and some of those will be adventure games, so why not...just a bit wary of Infocom still because of the mazes and hearing about how they are like the worst of Sierra times eleven where one bad action will royally screw you over without notice all the time.

I read one interview asking Adam Douglas about the Hitchiker's game and him proudly stating he made the game as obtuse and hard as he could, which he felt was Infocom's strength anyways, which is...you know, like the worst parts of Sierra adventure games but without graphics and all the time, even including timers which gives King's Quest III flashbacks.

Still, i hear modern IF games, unless they really go for a retro appeal, are less mazey and harsh.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pretty much. To play Infocom games you have to put up with some bullshit, but it tends to be worth it.

Neuromancer

Augur
And, you have to make notes and draw maps.
That is also something, that is rarely necessary in modern adventure games.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I recall reading Digital Antiquarian stating about how a big focus was basically cartography and hearing about how you could go back one direction and end up somewhere completely different without notice made me recall some mazes in RPG's which generally aren't my favorite parts of those games...only without graphics.
This made perfect sense in Colossal Cave. Whether it makes for good gameplay, who knows, but it is mimetic when the game is about spelunking. Subsequent games sometimes had clever(ish) jokes about this, sometimes just included mazes for no good reason, and sometimes included things that were not mazes, but might as well have been -- it gets very hard for me to mentally map space when a "room" has no defined scale, and an "exit" has no defined distance. Like you have a "town square" that has exit "up" and "ne" both leading up a hill to a promenade, "north" leading into a bakery, "east" leading "toward the eastern gate," "west" leading "into the western part of the town square," etc. I've never been able to make a mental map of that. Even adventure games that use different camera angles, scales, etc., are much easier for me to navigate.

The reason I propose starting with smaller text games is that you will start to develop the basic ability to "navigate" the game (geographically, but also in terms of how you interact with things) on a scale that is easier to manage if it's unfamiliar.

just a bit wary of Infocom still because of the mazes and hearing about how they are like the worst of Sierra times eleven where one bad action will royally screw you over without notice all the time.
It's not even a lack of notice or the presence of designer malice or anything like that. Just very different conventions. I'll give you an example: the idea that significant areas should be dark, requiring a light source, and that light sources should only work for a given number of rounds before they run out of fuel, is like foundational to text adventures. It never became a meaningful part of graphical adventures, which is why the Kyrandia cave sequence provokes so much outrage -- it's something that would be unremarkable in a text adventure, but sticks out in a graphical adventure. When I started working in Inform and TADS, one thing that jumped out to me is that there are features like object weight (for encumbrance), containers (for handling number of items allowed in inventory), light sources (as noted) that were set up to be super easy to implement because the basic expectation was, of course the player would have to juggle items in his inventory to satisfy limits, of course he would have to make sure he didn't burn up all his lamp oil while navigating the cave maze, etc. Those were features that every designer would expect to be able to quickly implement.

The problem is that unless you grew up with those conventions (which I didn't), they might as well be bullshit malice rather than just the local adventure game dialect. Which is why, again, I would ease in with modern games.

Photopia is good because it is so easy, even the dumbest player (e.g., me) can finish it, while learning the basics of how to play a text adventure. I found its writing to be quite evocative and moving, and perhaps you will, too. (Many players love it, a minority thinks it is maudlin.)

Then Metamorphoses is good because it actually shows why text adventures are so cool -- you can simulate a ton of stuff that would be impossible to depict visually but is pretty easy to describe verbally. It's also very well written. It does a good job of introducing the different way you have to approach text adventure puzzles. Even when graphical adventures had a lot of verbs, they really didn't; you seldom actually had to figure out the right way to manipulate an objection. But text adventures are very much not just about what but how. A typical graphical adventure sentence might be, "Use knife with bread." A text adventure would probably not accept that sentence -- it might even literally ask, "How?" So you might say "slice bread with knife" or "cut crust off bread with knife" or "poke hole in bread with knife" or whatever. Getting used to this more open form of interaction takes time. That kind of interaction is basically absent from Photopia (which is why it's easier as an introduction), but it's very present in Metamorphoses, which thus does a good job of introducing you to the mode.

The other games I mentioned are all in some ways more like graphical adventures -- limited number of rooms, objects, NPCs, more of a focus on storytelling, a presumption of usefulness when you find something, limited failure states, etc. So playing them will help you build up your familiarity with the genre conventions. Once you're familiar with them, I don't think Zork would be hard to play.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
All I know are the Infocom games which...I will want to try, I just have heard enough about how tough they are that I fear I would need a walkthrough for some of them if I don't want to spend weeks stuck in a game, and these days I don't have the time or will for that.
In order to play older text adventures, you first need to shift away from the mindset instilled by more recent games in which it is expected that the player will eventually "win", or at least complete, the game on their first playthrough. Early text adventures are meant to be gradually explored, with their puzzles unraveled one-by-one, while the player restarts time and again, until with enough perseverance and creativity, they eventually solve everything --- or more likely, still need to consult a guide, magazine, friend, or help-line for the last few puzzles that remain stubbornly unsolvable. I suggest starting with Zork I: The Great Underground Empire, because it will swiftly break you of this other mindset and give you the skills needed for these older games, even if you never finish it.

Map of the original, mainframe version of Zork:
1qtgtf.jpg

Silentstorm

Learned
Started Photopia and also looked around and saw Emily Short is quite liked and played a bit of Alabaster even though it wasn't talked about here, got an ending there after exorcising a demon.

Still getting used to parsers, needed to learn that you have to ask "What happened to you?" in Alabaster because "me" "myself" or "I" aren't accepted, in Photopia, have gotten to another planet, i am not trying to look at or use the spacesuit, shut up about it(seriously, i wasn't even trying to look at the spacesuit, the things i typed just seemed to randomly draw attention to it), still got out and then came back to Earth and the random stories keep happening.

Silentstorm

Learned
Maybe it's later on, anyways, what program does anyone recommend i use, i was using what was recommended by Adam Cadre but when i got to the blue planet, i had to stop, i saved the game, but i can't read what happened before and if i undo, i go back another section entirely, maybe there is a way to just read previous text and i forgot how to do it but it feels odd even if the red planet is easy, it just feels odd that i have to do it again and then another section on Earth again to get back to where i was.

And the game wouldn't let me save without going through a few paragraphs i didn't read as i thought i could just get back into it, it's not the worst thing in the world, but it's still odd and it's making me wonder if there isn't anything i can use in the future that works better.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
This page provides various builds and directs you to various software you can use to play those builds. (You can use that site to get all the other games I mentioned, too.) I do not believe that any IF build lets you save, quit, reload, and then view the prior text buffer, but perhaps I'm mistaken. However, most do not require paragraphs that you had to read in order to save, at least not to my memory.

Silentstorm

Learned
Beat Photopia, the part about flying took quite a bit long even if the spacesuit was starting to go bad.

Going with Zork now because of suggestions and i learned i don't quite like mazes that much in IF games at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom