Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

ADL

Prophet
Molyneux has more misses than anyone else I can think of. What was his last well received game? The original Black & White? That was over twenty years ago at this point. Fable was overhyped but the end result was decent if you don't know the backstory of what was promised.

At least with Chris Roberts you can fantasize about what he could've done without publisher restrictions and meddling, hence Star Citizen.

Perkel

Arcane
The reason why they get so much money is accumulation of different things:

- Chris himself - being lead on good space games
- ambitions goal - people are not willing to fund just another space game, they want total game changer, something new.
- "I am PC game" - chasing PC exclusivity, there are shitload of guys who felt like shit that consoles "stole" limelight when it comes to technology and graphics.
- transparent development - as much as people shit on delays and missing features there isn't any project in game world which has more interaction with community than SC. Literally 1000s of hours of videologs starting from 2012.
- progress - another controversial. Yes delays, yes missing features but at the end of the day people see progress. Since end of 2018 also it became effectively a game and since 2020 it is very playable game. If they will deliver this year server meshing then those 350mln will probably double next year
- targeting flight sim fans - we are talking about people who can easily spend $1000s of bucks on their flight sim rigs sometimes 10 000s bucks.

Imho the most important is that they are trying to build something truly never before seen and ambitious and unlike every other kickstarter or promised game they show slowly but steadfastly progress.

Imho it is kind of a project much like Everquest Next. It was so ambicious that would probably take devs 10 years to finish maybe more but everyone including me would love to see that game finished and try it.

Myobi

Liturgist
Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
They finally added rest of their teams including engine team to those roadmap progress tracker. Seems like Both Vulcan and server meshing will be coming shortly because they are both planned to finish work on them by end of may. So if there won't be delays (lol) it should come with 3.14 patch which should be around summer and about the time leaks said it will.

unknown.png

GreyViper

Prophet
CIG is still at it. They haven't given up. They have however said that old-timer backers - typically concierges - doesn't need to keep spending. There are enough new players coming in. Think about that. We are providing 650 people with jobs. I have fun playing as it is.
We saw with Cyberpunk that these big new games are much, much, much more difficult to develop than anybody had antecipated. Google gave up on their Stadia efforts. Amazon are struggling with their releases.
CIG is doing their best. They might not be the most effectively run company in the world, but they are definitely making progress. Their development efforts are a beacon of hope for OASIS-scale projects in the future. If they some day get to a successful release other studios will see that it is possible and maybe attempt something similar. But unless technology like server meshing kan be open-sourced and shared, these new projects will take equally long time.
We are looking at 10-years development as a new normal for larger projects. Having "players" as "testers" during development is probably a way this can work without excorbitant investor capital.

I develop myself, and I am just begtinning to understand how massive this undertaking is. By all means - do vent your frustrations every now and then. I do so myself, but don't point the scam finger at CIG. That is really unfair. It's OK to be impatient, but not to spread rumours about the motives and intentions of the employyes at CIG. They are obviously invested in this project as both future players and believers in what can be achieved.

Remember - server meshing might not work. It's a theory. A possible solution. It might have to be scrapped and a new solution invented. Which might easily add another 5 years of development time. This is the soone age of computing and lartge scale VR-worlds still. Don't knock it. It kinda already works.
You do bring up an interesting point with Stadia and Amazon. I also want to point out that for Roberts it might be the last chance to reach for fame. Because if he gives up or takes off with the money, hes done for permanently, since the internet has a long memory and people will not let him off so easilly. And let's be honest, this is him wanting to prove himself that the original WC franchise was not a fluke and his Hollywood venture was just a temporary fluke. I think his going to be either remembered as one of the ballsiest guys to pull off a project over such a long time or laughingstock used as a cautonery tale for future generations.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Myobi

Liturgist
generations.

Y'all realize I copy-pasted that from their forums, right?

Why would we?
Not the first time he's dropped a copypasta.

Bold of you to assume that I know him, or that I would remember him.
I mean, I remembered.

That's great mate! But I don't know, maybe if you don't want people assuming you wrote the dumb shit you are sharing, maybe just use quotation marks next time?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
generations.

Y'all realize I copy-pasted that from their forums, right?

Why would we?
Not the first time he's dropped a copypasta.

Bold of you to assume that I know him, or that I would remember him.
I mean, I remembered.

That's great mate! But I don't know, maybe if you don't want people assuming you wrote the dumb shit you are sharing, maybe just use quotation marks next time?
Why would I want people to assume I did not write the dumb shit I wrote?

Anyway, nevermind brother. This is neither here nor there.

Myobi

Liturgist
Why would I want people to assume I did not write the dumb shit I wrote?

Anyway, nevermind brother. This is neither here nor there.

I mean, “you”, as hypothetically speaking.

As in, IF you are going to post something that someone else wrote, and IF you have a problem with people believing that you were the one who wrote it, then you should just use quotation marks and/or source the damn thing, otherwise don’t act surprised when a bunch of people just start assuming that it was you who wrote the damn thing =/

Now, if the entire point was to fucking troll us by making us believe that he was the one who actually wrote that damn thing, then he should feel ashamed for the lack of commitment to it, because it clearly worked.

Syl

Cipher
Not that I want to brag or make anyone feel stupid, but it was pretty obvious to me that it was a copypaste.

Apart from the fact that no one is really defending Star Citizen in this thread, I think the timing of the post made me think something was off.
SerratedBiz posted right after Myobi linked to a external thread.

I assume the original post is in the same thread, but I didn't even bother checking. ;)

Since it was a good troll post but I didn't fall for it, I can rate it MEDIUM TROLLEY (still in stock).

Myobi

Liturgist
Not that I want to brag or make anyone feel stupid, but it was pretty obvious to me that it was a copypaste.

Apart from the fact that no one is really defending Star Citizen in this thread, I think the timing of the post made me think something was off.
SerratedBiz posted right after Myobi linked to a external thread.

I assume the original post is in the same thread, but I didn't even bother checking. ;)

Since it was a good troll post but I didn't fall for it, I can rate it MEDIUM TROLLEY (still in stock).

Well, now THAT's a very good fucking point.

Fuck maybe it's just me then, well, if that's the case, please do warn me next time when copypasting dumb shit from other places just so that my dumb ass doesn't waste time making fun of it for nothing! thx ;D

Also, I just don’t know anymore, I’ve been following too many shitshows like this one, Greed Monger, Trials of Ascension, Day of Dragons… I’ve seen so many people legitimately saying the most astonishing sort of shit in order to defend the lying cunts taking their money, that I’ve set the bar way to fucking low…

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Apart from the fact that no one is really defending Star Citizen in this thread
I do!
:)

I don't give a fuck if Chris Robert it's "stealing" people's money, selling jpegs or whatever the fuck he's doing!
SC it's cool shit and if it takes morons with too much cash on their hands to become something real, so be it!

If it takes 30 years instead of 10 years, who gives a fuck? Only morons would be butthurt about that and cunts with too of a shallow life that feel the need to fill it with some Star Citizen banter or praise.
If it crashes next year, good riddance!

Enjoy the circus and leave Star Citizen alone!!!
upload_2021-4-22_22-23-49.png

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
Yeah, it’s pretty much a win-win situation, either you get a great space video game to play, or get to laugh at the idiots backed this shit for the rest of your life.

ADL

Prophet
3.13 is pretty cool so far. I like the reputation system they added and it's running well and stable on my system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom