Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game would you want to be made that doesn't exist?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Tactics game set during a mid-C20 African civil/anti-colonial war. eg: Rhodesian Bush War, Simba Rebellion, Angolan Civil War, Algerian War, and maybe even the Second Congo War. These wars captured the public consciousness for mercenaries in the 1960s onwards but are now basically forgotten. These conflicts would be fresh historical material in fresh environments, involve little air/naval power but lots of small arms (in short, perfect for tactis games) and unlike the great project West-vs-Soviet land war actually happened.

It would be great to play as the OAS fighting against De Gaulle aligned military generals or as Robert Mugabe's communist guerillas in Rhodesia. Someone is missing a trick.
This might be the closest thing.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2). Yet another Not-Thief game, but set in a fantastical Pseudo-Middle Eastern Setting than Pseudo-European setting. Dress that shit up in as many tropes as you can lift from Arabian Nights, Ali Baba and the Prince of Persia as you can, and throw in some tasteful fantasy elements in to balance it.

I would love that.

I also want a good Arabian Nights RPG. Either Fallout/Arcanum/Baldur's Gate style isometric RPG, or Elder Scrolls style first person RPG, doesn't matter. Gimme sexy harem girls with cute foot jewelry, sinister jinn making you questionable offers, ancient Mesopotamian ruins containing mysterious artifacts, flourishing oases in the middle of the desert sands, bustling trade hub cities where caravans go in and out...

There are plenty of Arabian Nights stories that can be translated into quests almost verbatim. There's crime investigation stories, adventure stories, even some proto-science fiction with stories like the City of Brass. It would be so fucking cool.

Heck, just turn those old Arabian Nights adventure movies into an RPG and I'll be happy.

golden%20voyage-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

MV5BYzI5MmE4YTktNGY0OC00YzlkLTg2OGQtZDc4ZGY4ZWFlZjYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5NjM0NA@@._V1_.jpg

7e7e4fb0d65d5c2717c0647c9a52da40.jpg

tumblr_mmfwn3314s1snwsxio2_1280.jpg

Deleted member 7219

I'd like to see that sequel to Morrowind we never got. Not because I think it would be an amazing game, but it could be an interesting follow up to the plot lines set up in Morrowind, especially in regards to the intrigue in the Imperial City. I'm not desperate for it by any means - I'm pretty much done with Elder Scrolls at this point, and look back on Morrowind with real fondness.

I'd like to see Alan Wake 2 but some recent rumours indicate that may be a possibility now?

I want to see an RPG from Obsidian that plays to their strengths. Either a Chris Avellone-led KOTOR 3 (or other Star Wars RPG), or a Pillars of Eternity 3 with a reigned back Sawyer, possibly with the fun & design quality that Fallout: New Vegas had, thanks to John Gonzalez. Sawyer is great when he is restrained by something.

A western port of Hajimari no Kiseki, though I'm sure we'll get it.

TIE Fighter 2. This would be pure incline pumped directly into the veins.

CootKeeper

Augur
A pulpy first-person RPG set in Conan the Barbarian's Hyperborea, complete with scantily clad women and 1980s hairstyles. And where you can smack women bottoms noisily just like Conan does.

An RPG set in the waning moments of the Roman Republic. Do you side with the senate, Pompey, Crassus or Ceasar? Be able to participate in or gamble on hippodrome races, wild beast and gladiator fights.

A WW1 trench warfare shooter. No magic, only the full on historical setting with destructible environments.

Last edited:

Vlajdermen

Arcane
A good noir RPG. Not a storyfag RPG like No Truce, but a well-rounded one, that does to noir what Fallout did to post-apo. It's surprising how that hasn't been made yet, considering big urban underbellies where anything can happen are a setting set up right for RPGs.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
In terms of games that were actually going to be made, I'd have like to see Cyberdreams games completed. They had like a dozen games that never came to be, and most of them looked like they were pretty cool. Including a RPG involving Gary Gygax. I'd also have liked to see that one Wes Craven directed survival horror game, don't remember what that was called.
In terms of games that never existed, I'd like to see a game styled after Friday the 13th. Not like the four actual games that are out, an open-ended single player game where you run around killing camp counselors. Pull it off like a deadly assassin never getting seen or just run through them all like a machine. Or the option to do it like the Sleepaway Camp films, where you're a killer, and a counselor.

SoupNazi

Since I was a wee kid, I wanted to see a game that mixes two genres - RTS and (T)FPS. Not like Command & Conquer: Renegade, but actually has the two genres in a single game. You have a mission based campaign just like in Red Alert or Tiberian Sun, but once you build up your base and send your troops out, you can choose a unit to control, any unit, and that's when it becomes Renegade. And it's not like it turns into some singleplayer campaign, story-driven story. It's a sandbox, you can seamlessly go back to the RTS view, order your troops around. You get mostly the capabilities of the unit, its HP and everything, when you go into FPS as the unit has in the RTS. So if you turn into a basic infantry, you're expendable, and the only real difference is the player skill (and you can jump, and avoid enemy fire, take cover etc). If you go for the Mammoth Mk2, you're a slow AT-AT style fortress that obliterates, but has no air defenses. If you go for a stealth bomber, you're that. Obviously, it makes the best game sense to choose the important units that can make a difference, but you can also win by just playing the RTS well and playing basic infantry for fun - it's not a requirement to play the FPS to win the game.

It makes no economic sense, because you'd be making a second game alongside the RTS (or vice versa) that some players will not even see, let alone appreciate. But I would love to see a game like that.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since I was a wee kid, I wanted to see a game that mixes two genres - RTS and (T)FPS. Not like Command & Conquer: Renegade, but actually has the two genres in a single game. You have a mission based campaign just like in Red Alert or Tiberian Sun, but once you build up your base and send your troops out, you can choose a unit to control, any unit, and that's when it becomes Renegade. And it's not like it turns into some singleplayer campaign, story-driven story. It's a sandbox, you can seamlessly go back to the RTS view, order your troops around. You get mostly the capabilities of the unit, its HP and everything, when you go into FPS as the unit has in the RTS. So if you turn into a basic infantry, you're expendable, and the only real difference is the player skill (and you can jump, and avoid enemy fire, take cover etc). If you go for the Mammoth Mk2, you're a slow AT-AT style fortress that obliterates, but has no air defenses. If you go for a stealth bomber, you're that. Obviously, it makes the best game sense to choose the important units that can make a difference, but you can also win by just playing the RTS well and playing basic infantry for fun - it's not a requirement to play the FPS to win the game.

It makes no economic sense, because you'd be making a second game alongside the RTS (or vice versa) that some players will not even see, let alone appreciate. But I would love to see a game like that.
Something like Warshift then.

Dodo1610

Arcane
First-person Hotline Miami,
why has no one made a violent fast pace roguelike that?

Metal Gear Solid 5 without the anime cringe,
Pls Kojima, I want a good open-world stealth game, maybe even add some C&C to the mix.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Impossible Creatures 2

Gemcraft in 3D

Outcast spiritual successor

Battle Realms 2 or spiritual successor

Powerslave with a different ancient culture

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How do you envision it? (perspective, mechanics etc.)

I'm of the mind of keeping it close to the original while adding quality of life changes, limited graphic improvements, and more or new lands, that sort of thing. Keep the list of choices for each scenario you come across and find someone to do nice sketch work and watercolors for backgrounds. Keep RTWP combat even though people will scream, but make some obvious improvements on things like the camera and combat speed, hell maybe even lift some aesthetics from Serpent in the Staglands (which is not a Darklands successor, not even close, but it looks great). Add in the stuff that got cut from the original game like wars, territorial changes, cut quests etc etc you can see a ton of unused stuff in the game files.

zool

Arcane
A proper isometric riot police simulator.

Ideally, there would be several campaigns set in different countries and different times, so you can try out various riot police gear and tactics. Think South Korea in the 80s, 1992 LA riots, 2001 G8 summit in Genoa or more recently the Yellow Vests in France or the Capitol riot in DC. Each campaign would comprise 3 to 5 missions with gradually increasing difficulty. Winning a campaign would unlock other campaigns, a la HoMMIII. The brunt of the gameplay would be to equip your men and then tactically direct your squads of riot police officers in order to achieve your objectives.

The good thing with riots is that there are a lot of very different situations, so your objectives would vary from protecting a building or a landmark to arresting as many people as you can to funneling a street march along a pre-planned route while preventing looters from sacking shops, etc. In some missions, you would start pre-deployed while others would have you arrive at the scene in a more dynamic situation.

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
CRPG with D&D 4e ruleset. I honestly think it would play better than the very bland 5e ruleset, at least for the first 3 levels.

Bloodlines 2.

Another Legacy of Kain game.

Space Opera game set on a space station like the Citadel from Mass Effect where you play as an ambassador of humanity. More political intrigue than combat.

An action game designed around near-complete environment destructibility. Not so much so that you can punch down a skyscraper, but so that you can create creative solutions to problems. Locked door? Holding C4? Make a hole in the wall.
Another good legacy of kain game maybe, all of those puzzle platforms sucked.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Pimp rpg, where you have your girls and need to fight rivals that wanna take them and at same time beat the shit of clients that abused the material too much. Also, you gain good karma by beating feminists that are trying to convince your girls to be fat and gain bad karma by recruiting college christian girls.

sser

Arcane
Developer
2). Yet another Not-Thief game, but set in a fantastical Pseudo-Middle Eastern Setting than Pseudo-European setting. Dress that shit up in as many tropes as you can lift from Arabian Nights, Ali Baba and the Prince of Persia as you can, and throw in some tasteful fantasy elements in to balance it.

I would love that.

I also want a good Arabian Nights RPG. Either Fallout/Arcanum/Baldur's Gate style isometric RPG, or Elder Scrolls style first person RPG, doesn't matter. Gimme sexy harem girls with cute foot jewelry, sinister jinn making you questionable offers, ancient Mesopotamian ruins containing mysterious artifacts, flourishing oases in the middle of the desert sands, bustling trade hub cities where caravans go in and out...

There are plenty of Arabian Nights stories that can be translated into quests almost verbatim. There's crime investigation stories, adventure stories, even some proto-science fiction with stories like the City of Brass. It would be so fucking cool.

Heck, just turn those old Arabian Nights adventure movies into an RPG and I'll be happy.
tumblr_mmfwn3314s1snwsxio2_1280.jpg

Goddammit.

Just reminded me. This past year, I brought a girl over and we were flipping through Netflix and Clash of Titans came up, and I was like oooh shit Harryhausen's stuff! And ended up fastforwarding through it to show her how good the stopmotion animation was and anyway my nerding out stopped a lot of motion if you get what I'm saying. That medusa still looked awesome, though.

Oh and JA3 as some others have been mentioning or hinting at. A game with an improved and updated Silent Storm engine set in a fully realized Jagged Alliance world is my dream game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom