Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Anyway, what about the hotwiring kit?

So that people with no lockpick skill can enter jet skis? Just like the crowbar thing. We already have one person here admitting not using Lockpick, Hacking or even Stealth.

People with no lockpicking skill can already enter jet skis, no hotwiring kit required. Some jets do have locked trunks/hoods, but those require skill and lockpicks to open, just like any other lock.

It's all very confusing, isn't it?

498d8b834a.png

As I said, nothing's ever prevented me from driving a jet ski (besides absent motor or battery). It's click and go. In fact, you can accidentally aggro an entire zone/faction that way.

I hucked the keys to the jets I purchased from Ray into a desk in my house, as well as the ones I've pickpocketed or looted—because they serve next to no purpose. I even tried locking my jets the way you can lock doors that you have a key to. You can't.

The keys to Protectorate, Aegis, and some scrap jets with matching keys appear to serve absolutely no purpose other than window dressing, since you don't need them to drive the jets and those jets can't be sold to Ray. The only ones you can sell to Ray are cases of buyer's remorse, with one exception.

I SUPPOSE that, if a jet ski's trunk/hood is locked, you can use the key to open it just like with other pickpocketed keys. I almost forgot about that while trying to think through this pretzel of nonsense.

To sum up, everything related to jet ski keys and hotwiring kits is a hot mess.

CHEMS

Scholar
People with no lockpicking skill can already enter jet skis, no hotwiring kit required. Some jets do have locked trunks/hoods, but those require skill and lockpicks to open, just like any other lock.

Most moored ones require keys to enter. Namely Aegis' and the ones at Ray's.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Most moored ones require keys to enter. Namely Aegis' and the ones at Ray's.

I've just loaded an old save to test that, and you're right. The thing is, there are so many omniscient cameras and turrets placed around moored jet skis that I just never bothered—even if you're able to pickpocket the key and leap aboard, or hotwire the ignition out of sight of white-eye chaperones (although I seriously doubt you'd have time to hotwire any moored Aegis Patroller, even with 400+ effective Stealth and Burglar; guess you'd have to slaughter the screen, then do the hotwiring), you'll then need to deal with "fuck you faction hostile everyone shooting at you."

It's been extremely clear since the release of this expansion that Styg is determined to ensure it isn't worth it to steal skis except from factions you're already at war with, so I gave up before I even began. He doesn't outright prevent it, but you can only ever have Pyrrhic victories that way.

Twiglard said that hotwiring kits exist so that people without lockpicking skill can hotwire jet skis, but when I touched a moored ski, floating text informed me that I required lockpicking skill 100 to hotwire it (which I have, but I was only testing by touch).

So basically, a bunch of keys and hotwiring kits exist that have only extremely limited and somewhat convoluted uses because, well, Styg doesn't really want you to steal skis unless you're willing to trade a faction for them. Which is silly, since Patrollers and Cruisers are mediocre at best, you can't sell them, and only retards can't scrape up 10k for a decent jet.

Maybe the Protectorate waterway outpost jets are an exception, I dunno. I never tried to just take them since that would mean instant hostilities.

CHEMS

Scholar
I've just loaded an old save to test that, and you're right. The thing is, there are so many omniscient cameras and turrets placed around moored jet skis that I just never bothered—even if you're able to pickpocket the key and leap aboard, or hotwire the ignition out of sight of white-eye chaperones (although I seriously doubt you'd have time to hotwire any moored Aegis Patroller, even with 400+ effective Stealth and Burglar; guess you'd have to slaughter the screen, then do the hotwiring), you'll then need to deal with "fuck you faction hostile everyone shooting at you."

I made a tutorial on how to get the aegis patroller on the beggining of the expedition without hostilities

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh yeah, and for everyone who doesn't want to go the chore that is cutting a bloody swathe through Core City for all the new written content; here's a Greatest Hits Collection of the Mutie questline.

20210406120024-1.jpg
20210406120222-1.jpg
20210406121708-1.jpg
20210406121805-1.jpg
20210406122424-1.jpg
20210406122431-1.jpg
20210406122622-1.jpg
20210406131159-1.jpg
20210406131206-1.jpg
20210406131213-1.jpg
20210406131424-1.jpg
20210406131527-1.jpg

Post more, plz.

How much content total, how many extra quests?

Does it lead to secret ending or new lore?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Post more, plz.

Only one, connecting a new subzone in Core City Sewers and a Mysterious Laboratory.

Oh, absolutely.

Wait, I just saw a reference to Kirill. Is that Kirill as in Vovin? That Kirill?
The Hidden Lab you go to for the latter half of the questline is referred to as Kirilll's Lab in the save files. Kharon matches the description pretty well.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Oh yeah, and for everyone who doesn't want to go the chore that is cutting a bloody swathe through Core City for all the new written content; here's a Greatest Hits Collection of the Mutie questline.

20210406120024-1.jpg
20210406120222-1.jpg
20210406121708-1.jpg
20210406121805-1.jpg
20210406122424-1.jpg
20210406122431-1.jpg
20210406122622-1.jpg
20210406131159-1.jpg
20210406131206-1.jpg
20210406131213-1.jpg
20210406131424-1.jpg
20210406131527-1.jpg

Kharon also has some choice reactions when he relieves you of your possessions at the very end. The Green Disc reaction is in the pictures above, but I've yet to see if he has anything to say for the Acorn. Or anything else.

You can't get into a conversation with anyone, but Booth and the Mutie pair in the Praetorian part of the sewers will spare you some words of pity. I've also heard that Wyatt Pear also has something unique to say, or just won't attack you like everyone else.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I made a tutorial on how to get the aegis patroller on the beggining of the expedition without hostilities

Yeah, I remember reading that. Brilliant.

Keep in mind, though, that it's only possible because the zone-control attitudes of Aegis personnel toward traps, caltrops, and explosives are relaxed in order to facilitate their use during native defense sequences. That's why the camp turns hostile if you deploy TNT before the first defense sequence, but not afterward.

In other words, it's an exploit, something Styg didn't intend—which is fine, that's not a condemnation, but an exploit is an exploit.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Post more, plz.

Only one, connecting a new subzone in Core City Sewers and a Mysterious Laboratory.

Oh, absolutely.

Wait, I just saw a reference to Kirill. Is that Kirill as in Vovin? That Kirill?
The Hidden Lab you go to for the latter half of the questline is referred to as Kirilll's Lab in the save files. Kharon matches the description pretty well.

So who's the guy in stasis then? Any hints or ideas?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Dude, I love this game. And yes I also thought Lucius at one point.

Fuck, I almost wish you could see a meet between Vovin and Wight. Still, even more, I would have liked for Vovin to be revealed in the upcoming sequel to Underrail as a man behind the man or someone hiding in plain sight like Ezra.

Looking back, with all that we know, it almost seems obvious the biggest reason Ezra stuck around SGS was because Hadrian Tanner was such an unknown to him, and everyone else, like a mystery begging to be unraveled. Looking back, the discussions that involve Tanner, Ezra, and other SGS councilmembers, it seems almost obvious that Ezra doesn't interact with everyone because he's trying his damnedest to probe Hadrian's mind and find out more. The guy is still a scientist in some ways.

With that in mind, if Kharon is Kirill, then it makes sense as well that he's continuing whatever experiments he can on whatever interests him.

Edit: is Kharon a villain to you, ally, or just a neutral party?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Edit: is Kharon a villain to you, ally, or just a neutral party?
He "helps" you, but only after he forces you to get rid of some renegade muties that've taken over his lab. It's presented in a way that makes him out to be subtly mind-controlling you, and influencing you once you meet with him again. You can talk to more to the head mutie and he alludes to some human experimentation, backed up by the muties outside of the place being called "Test Subjects", and the Psi-Mutie and Hunchback Mutie you can find in the places cells (She's the one talking to herself in my photoset.)

You can actually agree to help the home-invaders, but regardless it ends up the same way; with them zapped to ash and Kharon there to congratulate you. You're given an option to attack him after that, but I think it's another 6 situation. You're a big dumb mutant and he's powerful Psychic, foregone conclusion.

It's also implied he's keeping what mutants come to him looking for passage to the Mutie Refuge as indentured servants, both the ones in the sewers and the home-invaders talk like he's deliberately kept them waiting for years.

He is polite about it though, you and him share a steak dinner once you're done clearing the rabble from his home.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
When the game works, it does so beautifully. You really feel like some post-apocalyptic scavenger who needs to be clever to get by. Being a sneaky asshole is rewarding.
THIS is what I mean with "when it works".
You mean like... clever enough to throw a grenade?

And by sneaky asshole I was always imagined more like someone with traps and silent weapons like melee/xbows/silensed guns along with stealth. Some psionic stuff is also silent or am I forgetting something?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Post more, plz.

Oh, absolutely.

Who is person in stasis? And what interaction you have with him?

CHEMS

Scholar
I started a discussion on Stygian forum about how we can make locations in open-world games as enticing as possible to veteran players (ie, players who know where everything is). It is not getting interest, but I think it is an important discussion. So come over if you have something to say.

https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?topic=6505.0

Know what would be great in underrail? CARAVANS!

I was the scourge of caravans in fallout 2. In underrail you can attack ships, but they carry no loot besides what the guards are carrying. Also, repeatable caravan jobs would be nice.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Just the fact that there are random encounters on the waterways now is an immense improvement. Everything south of the Black Sea was completely static before, whereas now you can occasionally encounter freelooter attacks or just merchant boats to barter with.

They are few and far between, but their presence—the possibility of them, as opposed to nothing at all—is enough. You never know what you might find out there.

You can actually agree to help the home-invaders, but regardless it ends up the same way; with them zapped to ash and Kharon there to congratulate you. You're given an option to attack him after that, but I think it's another 6 situation. You're a big dumb mutant and he's powerful Psychic, foregone conclusion.
You can keep most of them alive if you kill him quickly. But then you and the survivors steal his boat and go to the island so the game ends anyway.

Sheepherder

Augur
Biggest downside of oddity system? Completing Gauntlet gives oddity XP, so I wanna do it, but it's the Gauntlet, so I don't do it, and it bugs me.

Is Gauntlet generally unpopular, I wonder? I always avoid it either until late, or entirely, unlike pretty much all of the rest of the content in the game.

Maybe? Hard to tell, because the people who don't mind or even like the Gauntlet don't complain online like I do, so I might just be a vocal minority. It's not a big deal tho, since it's optional, unlike the labyrinth.

Continuing the shiv run, I did Fort Apogee.

I determine how difficult Apogee is for a build, by the position I use in the main area, when fighting the horde of cans and the three Dreadnoughts:
  • There's the pillar right at the entrance. This isn't even a chokepoint, but a LoS break location reserved almost exclusively for burst weapon builds, with some exceptions. High DPT builds can just kill everyone as they come, superior damage output carrying them.
  • Then there's the store, the shelves in the store and the storeroom. Most builds eventually fall back to the storeroom, due to its doorway chokepoint in order to stall the fight and inability to kill off enemies fast enough.

This Shiv build had to fall back to the storeroom pretty early in the fight. It's poorly suited to fight tincans, but can handle Fort Apogee fairly well. Awful early/mid-game tho.
In hindsight, it's not surprising - Shiv is a knife and knives are among the strongest melee weapons, when used with a glass cannon build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom