Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game has the best dungeons?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
After a really disappointing thread about coop-dungeoneering and a run of Enderal I am experiencing Dungeoneering Blue Balls. There are so few games that have dungeons designed the way a PnP TTRPG would have, with ecosystems, factions, exploration and puzzles. Most are focused around encounters, trash mobs, or would play like a boardgame.

Before I open felipepepe's book and start searching, I was wondering what game the Codex would recommend, either modern or classic.

is there any action or action RPG game that can give you the experience that you're exploring a dungeon, cooperating to solve puzzles and traps, discover secrets and has decent-to-good combat and itemisation? I don't care about story or simulation, just have some good environment design. I'm having trouble thinking just about single player games that are good at this, I cannot even think of online coop ones.

Geckabor

Savant
Icewind Dale sounds like a good fit, you can even play it with friends online via stuff like GameRanger.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Depends on whether your yardstick is production value or that more hard to define quality of making a lasting impression on the player.

For the first, I'd probably say Watcher's Keep in BG2 ToB. It still holds up as one of the most interesting and layered dungeons around. For the second, I'd say the Glow in Fallout 1. There is just something about the atmosphere of that place that sticks with you.

Edit: If all you are looking for is an endless coop dungeon crawl, then I agree with Geckabor that IWD is a good bet. I enjoyed playing through Grim Dawn coop, but that's moving over into arpg territory.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do these have to be action RPGs as well? Because if not my nomination is Dark Heart of Uukrul, which has tremendous dungeons. If that's not the sort of thing you're looking for, Knights of the Chalice has cool dungeons with factions, exploration and puzzles in them (no idea what you mean by ecosystems).

Divinity: Original Sin
would've been my suggestion for co-op if the action requirement weren't there.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
If it has to be an action RPG, then Ultima Underworld or Arx Fatalis. Otherwise, Dark Heart of Uukrul, Grimoire, Wizardry 7.

V_K

Arcane
Most games in the Dungeon Master lineage have great dungeons: DM and CSB themselves, The Summoning, Anvil of Dawn, Grimrock 2, to name a few highlights.
In turn-based games, D.W. Bradley's dungeons are hardly surpassed, but especially Wizards&Warriors has some of the best dungeons ever, combining everything you'd expect in a classic blobber with Daggerfall-style verticality and Ultima-style interactivity (which, unlike Ultima, features prominently in puzzles).
Speaking, of Daggerfall, it's main quest dungeons are pretty neat and sprawling AF - and even procedurally generated ones are a lot more exciting than you'd expect from procedurally generated dungeons (I'd recommend using DF Unity with smaller dungeons feature turned on though).
And speaking of procedural generation, Unexplored is a roguelite that uses some advanced algorithms and simulations to produce levels that are actually fun to explore, with puzzles, hazards, environmental interactions, monster ecosystems and multiple floor-spanning sidequests.
Finally, freeware games Dark Disciples 1&2 also have some great dungeons, made even better by there being lots of different paths through them.

DaveO

Erudite
Perhaps Drakensang? It is action and RPG. Although I've heard of enemy exploits against you. It does have the advantage of not being well known.

Otherwise...

Realms of Arkania(not remake)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Perhaps Drakensang? It is action and RPG. Although I've heard of enemy exploits against you. It does have the advantage of not being well known.

Otherwise...
The original Drakensang has nothing noteworthy in its dungeons that I can recall.
pakoito you're better off giving Dungeons of Naheulbeuk a gander.

Calthaer

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So...it has no traps or puzzles, but the most intense dungeon experience I can recall is the original EverQuest (currently embodied pretty well in Project 1999). You go into a set of crowded corridors and you and your team have to be on your game - there's danger all around. Crowd control is key...it's perilous and you could lose your stuff, so you have to pick the right party for the more dangerous places, of the right level, and of sufficient skill at their class. Have to have a plan of escape as well as a plan for how you're going to retrieve your corpse if you die. The co-op combat is pretty balanced if you pick the right spot and getting loot feels good.

Somehow the single player stuff never felt quite that intense - not as dangerous (you can just reload if you die), not as exciting. Even if you do have traps and stuff.

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
this is an amateurish response i'm giving, so i apologize in advance, but Nethergate: Resurrection had a smashing opening dungeon. That leads me to believe Jeff Vogel crafted some nice dungeons in that game. The opening dungeon has a bit of everything - meaningful, hand-placed encounters, resource management to overcome the challenges, hidden loot and secret encounters, advanced encounters that are the toughest opponents there but guarding the best loot, and so on. I need to get back to that game sometime!

J1M

Arcane
The first Legacy of Kain game, Blood Omen. The dungeons are extremely well designed. They put you in situations that expose a gap in your character's skillset. Then you earn a new item that fills that gap and are put in situations that are instructive on how to utilize that new tool. Unlike modern games that attempt this formula, the design does the work. There are no intrusive characters or messages telling you to press specific buttons.

For JRPGs the dungeons peaked with Lufia 2.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ravenloft: Stone Prophet. Dungeons are way better than Strahd's Possession. Lots of puzzles and riddles to seek. It also helps they didn't flood every area with lame teleporters and spinners - I never want to see a spinner ever again!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
KPdeSpj.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Other than CSB my favourite dungeons are in
Dungeon Master
Wizardry 4
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Bard's Tale 2
Ultima Underworld
Might&Magic 6

Of these only UU feels "real" and not like something made by some diabolical dungeon designer.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Let's not forget King's Field. Any of them. 3 (2 in the states) is the best one, though.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are so few games that have dungeons designed the way a PnP TTRPG would have, with ecosystems, factions, exploration and puzzles. Most are focused around encounters, trash mobs, or would play like a boardgame.

I wouldn't say it has anything like ecosystems and factions, but recently i played Wizards & Warriors which does have some good exploration (you can even place notes on the maps) and puzzles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom