Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Siege of Avalon Anthology bursts forth

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Siege of Avalon Anthology

Siege of Avalon Anthology is now out on both GOG for the DRM free version or Steam. Both offer a release discount of 20% off. Wow, this thing takes me back. I remember playing this decades ago. Anyway, here's some juice:

BUILD YOUR OWN CHARACTER
Play as a fighter, scout, or mage, and choose from hundreds of pieces of weaponry and armor to customize your character's appearance and abilities. Learn different skills and spells to try various play styles. Add members to your Party or drop them as you advance through the game.
PLAYED ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?
Dive into the story of deception, treachery, and heroism through rich dialogues and in-game tomes. The game was designed with the idea of being a new type of book that gives a feeling of full immersion into its fantasy world.​

There's a "remaster" I can get behind.

Last edited by a moderator:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I liked the setting of being trapped inside a castle under siege, and it had a cool armor system, full of layers, but only the first chapter is worth playing... after that it abandons most of the NPCs & storytelling and turns into an extremely shitty Diablo clone :/

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I liked the setting of being trapped inside a castle under siege, and it had a cool armor system, full of layers, but only the first chapter is worth playing... after that it abandons most of the NPCs & storytelling and turns into an extremely shitty Diablo clone :/

You accuse the game cause it's not the storyfag adventure that Disco Elysium is and at the same time, you praise like a little girl, Chinese autism like Tale of Immortal which guess what? It's a 2d bullethell Diablo clone shitty roguelike.
Has anyone serious here played this to give us a serious opinion? Is it worth the time? I don't trust this fake idiot above.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Might be my memory, and nostalgia googles, but when I played this about 15 years ago I don't remember the later chapters being that bad.

I was always disappointed they never made a sequel.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I played it when it originally came out. I remember enjoying it, but you're talking nearly 20 years ago so I don't remember specifics. It honestly wasn't until I read the "Played any good books" tagline that I remembered getting it and playing it.

Elex

Arbiter
I remember how much i loved the layer armor system at the time.

Elex

Arbiter
well i tried it and it aged really bad, today there is too many alternative options. Still the armor sistem is interesting: armor pieces that can go in different layer, you can wear 2 pants, etc etc.. cool stuff, but hardly the reason for replay it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Holy fuck. I didn't know Bjorn Lynne had music composed in this game.

Well, I see two long playthroughs and a quick review:

Just a random part of playthrough; albeit a 2017 old one

JRIz

Augur
Definitely does not feel like a Diablo clone. This is like saying Divine Divinity is a Diablo clone, only even less in this case. All chapters are great. The first two are an introduction into the setting. Third, fourth and fifth focus on the three character classes, respectively (e.g., third chapter is most fun with a warrior). Sixth chapter is the finale. There are several plotlines which extend through multiple chapters and there are always new characters to talk to. In fact, always talking to everyone is a central part of the gameplay loop because it's not always clear how to advance some quests. Probably not a storyfag game per se but it has a great setting and the dialogues are functional. The in-game main character has three separate journals, one of them illustrated, where he interprets what's happening around him. Very enjoyable to read after something important has happened. Combat is in real-time but fun. Not much C&C as far as I remember.

Zeriel

Arcane

You accuse the game cause it's not the storyfag adventure that Disco Elysium is and at the same time, you praise like a little girl, Chinese autism like Tale of Immortal which guess what? It's a 2d bullethell Diablo clone shitty roguelike.
Has anyone serious here played this to give us a serious opinion? Is it worth the time? I don't trust this fake idiot above.

I played multiple chapters back when it released and you had to choose which ones you wanted. It was ala carte, and each later chapter was aimed at a different archetype. i.e, the mage path was much more magical and focused on that aspect than the others. The whole game was very experimental and they were clearly figuring it out as they went along. I enjoyed it as a whole and I disagree somewhat, there were storybeats in later chapters and I didn't find it to be false advertising or anything, they were fairly cheap as far as I remember so maybe he was disappointed by the scale of the chapters.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about getting it now, but it was highly enjoyable for me back then. Also, I can say, the music is AMAZING if you're into that comfy oldschool feel. Reminds me of Betrayal at Krondor's lo-fi medieval "warmth". If nothing else, listen to the soundtrack.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I recently found my boxed copy of this game. Seeing "anthology" in the title I faintly hoped there were some sequels or expansions, but it seems like this is the same content that was released previously. Still, good release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom