Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any game like Ragnarok Online but single-player?

flushfire

Augur
I'm asking here because I'm confident of my knowledge of crpgs but not jrpgs. I don't really care what subgenre it is though as long as it has similarities with RO.

-branching job/class system. I recently played FFT because it's one of the few games I remember having one, but I don't like the way you can be good at almost everything if you just grind enough. I also like the way RO does it's class promotion where you have to do some kind of quest. DA:O had something like that but I still remember my last playthrough.

-you're a nobody for a long time. You start as a novice who can even die fighting slimes. I know a lot of rpgs are like that, but most of that phase is gone in an hour or two.

-open world. I think this is uncommon with JRPGs, would be nice though.

-lighthearted atmosphere. Just lighthearted but not too cringey like a 13 year old old protag who giggles every 5 minutes. Can't stand too emo stuff like xenogears either. But I love that game just want something different.

I'm not particular in what combat style it has but a more subdued style would be nice. Someone recommended Ys games and it was a little fast and flashy.

Any game like this? I don't mind if it doesn't tick everything. TYVM codex for any help.

Last edited:

flushfire

Augur
Any specific game or are all of them like that? Anyway, thanks I'll go check them out.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Sounds like

It's not open-world and the power curve is okay...maybe start on higher difficulties.

Lincolnberry

Educated
I'm asking here because I'm confident of my knowledge of crpgs but not jrpgs. I don't really care what subgenre it is though as long as it has similarities with RO.

-branching job/class system. I recently played FFT because it's one of the few games I remember having one, but I don't like the way you can be good at almost everything if you just grind enough. I also like the way RO does it's class promotion where you have to do some kind of quest. DA:O had something like that but I still remember my last playthrough.

-you're a nobody for a long time. You start as a novice who can even die fighting slimes. I know a lot of rpgs are like that, but most of that phase is gone in an hour or two.

-open world. I think this is uncommon with JRPGs, would be nice though.

-lighthearted atmosphere. Just lighthearted but not too cringey like a 13 year old old protag who giggles every 5 minutes. Can't stand too emo stuff like xenogears either. But I love that game just want something different.

I'm not particular in what combat style it has but a more subdued style would be nice. Someone recommended Ys games and it was a little fast and flashy.

Any game like this? I don't mind if it doesn't tick everything. TYVM codex for any help.

I haven't played RO so I don't know for sure if this will be exactly what you want but I'd recommend Dragon Quest (Warrior in the Western Release) 7. There is the OG PS1 version that I have played several times, and a more recent remake on 3DS that I have not tried.

Most (arguably all) of the DQ games are lighthearted, and 7 is no exception. It's very long, told thru a vignette structure (each town has it's own story/problem to solve, there are roughly 20 in the game). The game is from early 2000s so while "open world" in a sense with a world map that you spend a lot of time on, it's probably not exactly how you think of it in a modern context.

You are indeed a nobody initially but as w many JRPGs that changes as you go thru story. In the PS1 version, it can be several hours between the start and your first real battles depending on how good you are at puzzles/figuring things out without a guide, so be warned.

But the main reason I suggest DQ7 is the branching class system. You need to master certain combinations of classes to unlock higher versions. There is also a monster class tree that does the same thing. Typically, you'd be expected to master 2-3 basic classes to unlock an intermediate classs (say warrior + fighter = dragoon unlocked), and then mastering 2 intermediate classes would unlock an advanced or master class (paladin + dragoon = godhand). Again, similar structure on the monster side.

Game is old and it's one of the black sheep DQ entries where it brings out polarization even among fans of the series. I personally love it and it's my favorite DQ7 by a mile (mainly due to the class system), but others much prefer (imo, simpler) structures from the other games. YMMV.

flushfire

Augur
I'd recommend Dragon Quest (Warrior in the Western Release) 7
In my search before making this thread I was leaning towards one entry in the series, 9, because it had character creation. Is 7 so different? I'm also not a huge fan of puzzles, is there a lot? Anyway thanks for the recommendation!

Vorark

Erudite
Within Dragon Quest territory, if you're looking for character creation + job system, then you can hardly go wrong with DQ III -- an absolute classic. Open world? In a way, yes. Being a nobody for a while? Sure, cross the wrong bridge at low level and you're toast. SNES version + translation patch is the way to good, followed by the GBC version. The mobile/Switch ports would've been fine if not for fumbling the monster sprites and animations.

DQ VI and the aforementioned VII are also solid choices but both lack the ability to assemble your own team. IX was (imo) one of the weakest entries although it does fit your needs. My memory is foggy on the details but the vignettes were quite uninspired, performance was deplorable on the DS (constant slowdowns if you had a four member party) and there was an unexpected emphasis on grinding.

Not exactly what you're looking for but might be of interest:
  • Metal Saga (PS2) - open world, lacks a class system but has deep vehicle (tank) customization.
  • Etrian Odyssey III (DS) and IV (3DS) - dungeons crawlers with a class/subclass system and basic overworld map that you explore in a rogue-like fashion. EOIV is regarded as newbie friendly aka easy.

Speaking of Ragnarok Online, the only spinoff game I consider decent is Ragnarok Tactics (PSP). It had a class system and branching storyline from what I remember, gameplay was similar to FFT/Tactics Ogre. Play it on an emulator to speed up the animations.

flushfire

Augur
Within Dragon Quest territory, if you're looking for character creation + job system, then you can hardly go wrong with DQ III
It does look like it'll scratch the itch and I'm a sucker for 16-bit era games. I was actually looking for a game with a beginner adventurer's guild or somesuch where you join up with a party and it looked like it had it, heh. Anyway thanks for that very informative post.

flushfire

Augur
As always the codex never disappoints. I've more games to try now than I have free time, I think. Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

Lincolnberry

Educated
I'd recommend Dragon Quest (Warrior in the Western Release) 7
In my search before making this thread I was leaning towards one entry in the series, 9, because it had character creation. Is 7 so different? I'm also not a huge fan of puzzles, is there a lot? Anyway thanks for the recommendation!

7 has no character creation, there's a set party of 6 rotating characters (up to 4 active) throughout the game, though your hero/starter remains constant. As for puzzles, the opening puzzle is a little infamous but game doesnt have a lot of puzzles as a general rule.

deama

Prophet
I heard arcturus the curse and loss of divinity was made by some ex RO devs, it's got open world-ish, and is lighthearted in the beginning. I forgot how the class system was though.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
arcturus the curse and loss of divinity
Thanks. I remember reading about it years ago but forgot its name.
Buggy translation by yours truly. No class system per se but Arcturus definitely is Ragnarok Offline, for more reasons that you could know without going into spoilers (with some actual character sprites reused from RO too). It's as light-hearted as RO could be indeed.

Also, Ragnarok Battle Offline is a fun game too in the RO universe, even if it's a beat them all and not a RPG at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom