Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
That's not innovative, it's subversive. The game still treats high-INT as book smarts and high-Might as a bruiser.

Want to play a wizard that does a lot of damage? Hope you enjoy your dialogue looking like this:
Exercising makes your spells hit harder in this setting, what's so hard to believe about that? It's fantasy, anything the worldbuilders want goes.

Not that having high Might is even necessary for certain wizards, it depends on the type of spells they want to cast.

Codex Year of the Donut
That's not innovative, it's subversive. The game still treats high-INT as book smarts and high-Might as a bruiser.

Want to play a wizard that does a lot of damage? Hope you enjoy your dialogue looking like this:
Exercising makes your spells hit harder in this setting, what's so hard to believe about that? It's fantasy, anything the worldbuilders want goes.
it's dumb and anyone who supports it is equally dumb

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Rusty just doesn't like Wizards and hates that they can both beat him up and blast him to pieces in the PoE setting.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Might DNE muscle.

Intelligence DNE book smarts.

Rus is pedantically pretending again because butthurt.

If he had a valid critique he’d make it but he’s just running on fumes now.

Desiderius

Patron
It's fantasy, anything goes.

This.

This right there.

This is exactly the reason why all modern fantasy is such a garbage.

It is, but anything doesn’t go in PoE, so that has nothing to do with the present conversation.

If you Max CON and dump INT your Wiz will still suck. And so will a ranged Barb.

Why are you working so hard to make this shitty argument? PoE is ultimately unsatisfying for the same reason Soyer’s Twitter feed is. No reason to back-rationalize shit that makes you look stupid just to try to justify a valid visceral response to the game.

Delterius

Arcane
"we're going to have barbarians except they use intelligence! absolutely nothing else in the game will change and it will play exactly the same as if they used strength!"
that's not innovative
Sure it's not a game-changing innovation, but still, it's a novelty in cRPGs and one has to acknowledge this.

Also, depending on investment in high INT or high STR, you play and gear up your barbarian differently - saying that it doesn't make any difference is huge simplification.

pillars-of-eternity-threaten.jpg
Maybe you lift him using a very complex levers system.
you are obviously using level 0 spell 'rethorical telekinesis'

cr0mag

Novice
I’m saying that all of you newphags who grew up being spoonfed tank, spank, and heal should use that thing between your ears for once in your miserable lives and ask yourselves why Wizards have combat or shapeshifting or control spells in the first place if they’re just DPS.

Maybe consider that we’re in fact living in an age of high INT Barbs all the better to smash calcified low INT institutions that are no longer serving their intended function. If you’d read a fucking book in your lives examples would easily be near at hand.

This is the most retarded shit I've read in awhile. Guess what, I play rogue in tabletop and my mates play fighter, cleric and sorcerer and I want to recreate that group ingame. Whatever stick up your arse about MMOs you have, it has nothing to do with how I want to play this game.

Desiderius

Patron
The stick I have up my ass is the one the idiots crying about Wizards with Might and Barbs with INT put there. Of course you want the different archetypes, but each one performs more than just a narrow function and uses more than one stat. Which is my point dipshit.

Don’t parachute into the middle of a conversation you don’t understand thinking there’s a juicy ankle here for you to bite or you might get kicked upside your unused melon.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The most egregious thing here is that you can play a dumb Barbarian with high Might if you want, so the complaints are totally unnecessary.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
The most egregious thing here is that you can play a dumb Barbarian with high Might if you want, so the complaints are totally unnecessary.
People are only basing their opinion on that star saying "Recommended", they're not reading what the stats actually do.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I can't recall anyone ever getting this upset about

maxresdefault.jpg

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I think Butter has the best argument re attributes. The job of attribute system, shockingly, is so people can spend the attribute points differently and create different builds. And PoE's system does that job better than most, especially in Deadfire all attributes are viable. Sure, you're still going to dump Resolve on a backline dps character, but you're gonna pay for it each time he gets debuffed.

"Yes Nick, but muh roleplay" - who the fuck larps in game from 5 years ago that you're doing a 3rd run of. Just 1111 all the dialogue like a normal person.

cr0mag

Novice
The stick I have up my ass is the one the idiots crying about Wizards with Might and Barbs with INT put there. Of course you want the different archetypes, but each one performs more than just a narrow function and uses more than one stat. Which is my point dipshit.

Don’t parachute into the middle of a conversation you don’t understand thinking there’s a juicy ankle here for you to bite or you might get kicked upside your unused melon.

You are a giant only in your own mind, whatever helps to keep your autism rage in check.

Regardless of that, the stat system in the game is quite good and I've had fun playing around with a few different rogue builds which are part RP and part meta. The more options the merrier

Desiderius

Patron

You are a giant only in your own mind, whatever helps to keep your autism rage in check.

Regardless of that, the stat system in the game is quite good and I've had fun playing around with a few different rogue builds which are part RP and part meta. The more options the merrier

Not a giant at all. You’re in a hole. Stop digging. Admit you made a mistake and stop projecting it on others.

Glad you haven’t let those same delusions get in the way of your enjoyment of the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I was skimming through the manual and i landed on the part where it talks about the races and there's a paragraph explaining how race doesn't matter at the end as a dwarf from such and such area could have more in common with an elf than dwarves from other areas etc.

Ho Soyer, so even race is meaningless lmao.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I was skimming through to manual and i landed on the part where it talks about the races and there's a paragraph explaining how race doesn't matter at the end as a dwarf from such and such area could have more in common with an elf than dwarves from other areas etc.

Pillars is full of separate multiracial societies, so yeah. x-Americans have more in common with other Americans than those in the land of their ancestors.

Lacrymas

Arcane
But is it even true. I mean, mechanically.
Mmm, kinda. I'd say the Godlike races are the most mechanically diverse and can do some fun stuff when taken into account in a build. Most other races, however, are pretty interchangeable and they are there either for RP or mild, straightforward bonuses towards whatever build you are going for.

Codex Year of the Donut
I was skimming through to manual and i landed on the part where it talks about the races and there's a paragraph explaining how race doesn't matter at the end as a dwarf from such and such area could have more in common with an elf than dwarves from other areas etc.

Pillars is full of separate multiracial societies, so yeah. x-Americans have more in common with other Americans than those in the land of their ancestors.
:nocountryforshitposters:
if you think racial problems are bad now imagine if they were completely separate species

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Moon Godlike stands out as the obviously best choice. I don't remember any of the other races having anything half as good.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Moon Godlikes are overrated imo. Yeah, their racial ability is pretty flashy and noticeable, but there are ways to replicate that immediately after getting to Defiance Bay (Consecrated Ground boots), and if you are relying too much on it something somewhere is going wrong with your playstyle. It's a crutch that becomes almost useless once you get used to your party and the way the game plays.

Desiderius

Patron

Our erstwhile rulers are working on that. They’re chafing at that whole sovereignty of the people/consent of the governed thing so are furiously importing Brahmin-Brahmins to install a Caste System while they keep us distracted with divide et impera.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom