Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Sword is fast losing its charm.

Maxie

I've played the sequel before the original game, and I assume this in part may explain why I prefer it to the more commonly revered original, but the fanciful notion of gathering the obsidian stones from around the world, and the sheer fancy of stopping the apocalypse which isn't a bunch of Templars doing Templar stuff, that stuff still manages to entice me after so many years

It takes a really... special... "person" to prefer Emily Ketch murder mystery hour to unravelling a global neo-templar conspiracy while trying and failing to gain entry to a incomprehensibly frigid french woman's pants.
grimdarkness ruins cartoony point & clicks. I prefer fun adventures

please leave this subforum if you intend on bringing with you the malice rampant in other places

Parsifarka

Arcane
I'm astonished by people getting so frustrated with the goat for I was still a child when I first played through the game and Ireland was one of my favourite locations, I don't recall it being any more abstruse than other puzzles (though, as a child, I pretty much ended up stuck in every challenge, taking a few good days in each location). Perhaps it was being so young and having that much spare time so that I wouldn't discard any single option what helped me through the game.
What got on my nerves was the lion gate in the Spanish well as I had a really hard time to realize George just had to run away right after touching it; the vicious beast head was too spooky for me to reason in that uncommon way in the context of the game, and the death state terrified me; added to that, the skeletons of the two missing children in the room beyond gave me the creeps.
Because you know, as a kid a clown murdering some adults with an explosive device is one thing, and rather amusing; breaking the invulnerability of children however is a shocking dose of real life cruelty.
I won't ever forget Broken Sword, the charm and the horror that taught me fear is the mind killer.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I've played the sequel before the original game, and I assume this in part may explain why I prefer it to the more commonly revered original, but the fanciful notion of gathering the obsidian stones from around the world, and the sheer fancy of stopping the apocalypse which isn't a bunch of Templars doing Templar stuff, that stuff still manages to entice me after so many years

It takes a really... special... "person" to prefer Emily Ketch murder mystery hour to unravelling a global neo-templar conspiracy while trying and failing to gain entry to a incomprehensibly frigid french woman's pants.

please leave this subforum if you intend on bringing with you the malice rampant in other places

Apologies, I didn't realise this was your safe space.

In any case, both are great games and the world needs more recognition for both!

Neuromancer

Augur

I think in overall, the second game is way darker than the first one.
The templars just wanted power (and world government) whereas Tetzlaqweqwjrzt (no, I don't know how to pronounce this god correctly and can't be bothered to look it up) wants to destroy the world and humankind.

Even the Emily scene is kind of dark when you realize what happened to her.

Neuromancer

Augur
I'm astonished by people getting so frustrated with the goat
The problem with the goat puzzle is not the puzzle itself, but the fact that the game interface suddenly behaves differently without any hint before (neither in the game nor the manual) that this specific action is possible.
(The rest in spoilers, although I guess most have played the game anyway.)
Only in this scene George can suddenly run. This never happens before or after that.
So you cannot solve this puzzle by thinking about the solution beforehand. You just have to be lucky to click at the right places at the right time.
I got stuck quite some while at that place. When I finally stumbled upon the solution, my reaction just was WTF.
The Dig did actually did a similar thing with the light bridges.
When you know what to do - and what is possible - it is an extremely easy puzzle, but until then...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom