Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Rafidur

Learned
Lloyd's beacon, town portal, flight

Arulan

Cipher
mm0025zkjpn.png

I'm continuing to explore Varn. My party is now level 5, which means I can cast Fly. I randomly decide to fly to A2, and I'm soon welcomed by this Red Dragon, who proceeds to kill my whole party with a Fire Breath...

:negative:

mm0024utk2h.png

I also came across the town of Portsmith. This isn't going to work out very well... The Jump spell helps though. Now that I'm thinking about it, I didn't try to see if Levitate would work here.

I have a lead on where to find Dusk. I should have looked at the included map this whole time. It would have helped me find Eriquim before as well.

Last edited:

DaveO

Erudite
Looks like not much interest in my proposed LP of the M&M Merge mod. Not a surprise given that the game itself is old and folks have moved on to other games.

Piotrovitz

Savant
MM6 itself requires shitload amount of time to complete - combine those three and you get something like what, >200 hours of gameplay?

Not many have luxury to piss away entire days of their lives on a games that they've already finished, probably few times already.

Anyway, it's an ambitious project and kudos for working on that.

Efe

Erudite
honestly so far from what I see, if you focus on one first then the other two become either a snoozefest where you blaster everything or a borefest where adjustment script makes everything hp sponges

DaveO

Erudite
My best chance for M&M merge is to transport into MM7 and work my way back to 6. I really don't like MM7 so I might as well start on the one that I dislike the most. Then go to MM6 to avoid things being super easy. It's all going to be Bolstered for the enemy for them to have a chance. The Dragon may not be the "newbie" class with bolstered enemies. Or it could still be a curb stomp.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Completed majority of mm7 quests, in mm6 cleaned almost all dungeons and quests, haven't touched mm8 quests/dungeons yet. Still interested in finishing all three games.

People complaining about uneven difficulty scaling and stuff, but hear me out.
I played mm6, mm7 and mm8 several years ago and there some things I remember from original games:

1) MM6 - majority of spells is useless, enemies resistant to everything except psychical/energy (sequels had tough enemies too, but at least they had a working wide array of resistances, rather than "magic resistance" that automatically transmutes 99% spells into garbage). Maybe I am exaggerating right now, but this how I felt while playing original.

2) MM7 - "Ah, I am really exited to use these grandmaster spells now...wait, what do you mean this is last location where I can use it?" Game feels much smaller than previous, not much room for playing around with all wide array of skills/spells that this game has to offer. In my first walkthrough, I have done big chunk of content before even gaining access to light magic. And gatekeeping skills behind main quest does not help.

3) MM8 - better balanced spellbook, but you are restricted to make only one character and hire created by devs companions (without mods). I am not big fan of this approach at all, so I installed mod on creating your own party(when played first time), but still. Races as classes are cool and all, but it would be cool if mm6-7 classes were in game.

Yes, mod is unbalanced, but at least it solves problems mentioned above( well maybe partially in mm7 content), at least for me.

As Grampy_Bone said, it would be better if masters would be separated from grandmasters (though I don't think that all gms should live in remote locations, their locations should be logical and no GM of identification items would want to live in some shithole)
And ability to equip blaster as missile weapon is awesome idea.

Now, about global problems:
When I started to playing, my original plan was to play mm6-mm7-mm8 in chronological order, like band of immortal murderhobos, which kicks ass through centuries (Or how much years passed between games? I don't remember) But after playing it for some time, I realized that in the end, this mod is basically three games stitched together and requires player to hope around, even if you don't need mm7 class promotions, because if you manage to handle mm6 endgame - nobody will be able to stop you in other games. Basically, IMO this mod is three games stitched together and every one of them has end game that makes starting content of other games to fall apart. To achieve an experience that I imagined (when started playing) there should be more thorough redesign of locations and monster placement in world with fixed starting point in one of the games. And some quests should be added on all continents, particularly class promotions.

However this mod do achieve some pretty impressive things, even if it's flawed.

Efe

Erudite
yea if they made main quests require specific items received from other games main quests, they could reduce sudden difficulty dive
players being directed to world hop would also alleviate being a class from another world that cant promote.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Not much more than 20 years.
Hmm, I guess possibility to design mod in a way, which allows beating in original order without "time travel" and other bullshit. But it would require redesign enemies in Enroth (gotta figure out on what replace titans/dragons/demons) and locations in Antagarich, Jadame (need more space for dragons and titans). A work of truly gigantic proportion. So I understand why modders decided do stuff in the way they did.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
players being directed to world hop would also alleviate being a class from another world that cant promote.
You mean, "directed" in a sense of giant portal accessible without town portal or something? Because I was annoyed mostly by the fact that rest of the party should drop EVERYTHING, and rush to another continent just to allow thief learn disarm at more high rank. Yes town portal is useful spell, but I was a bit irritated still.

Efe

Erudite
no I meant weaving main quests together. Think of it like instead of dragon egg you find a note which directs you to tatalia dragon cave.
by the way did seer always duplicate items? hes giving away completed quests items and connector gems

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
by the way did seer always duplicate items? hes giving away completed quests items and connector gems
I have not remember how it was in originals, but I think it's a bug, because I completed statues quest in MM6 and visited his shitty cabin for pilgrimage and accidentally clicked on dialogue about lost items. In result he gave me statuette that I just placed correctly.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Btw, does anyone remember a effective skill cap for mm6-8 games? Was it 40 or 60? And do bonuses from items count after this cap? Like if you have 30 dark magic, will bonus +32 count?

Efe

Erudite
mod page mentioned increased caps 80-90. should work but cant remember where i saw it

Efe

Erudite
at your 60 total I dont see much point.
ultimately your choice but you could gm another skill instead of 2 more points in dark

does enchantments on blasters work? not being able to see character damage text really throws me off

jungl

Augur
combining 6-8 seems dumb to me. The games are so similar that it is really easy to burn yourself out after just beating one of them especially if you are using the same party for all 3 games.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
at your 60 total I dont see much point.
ultimately your choice but you could gm another skill instead of 2 more points in dark

does enchantments on blasters work? not being able to see character damage text really throws me off
I tried to enchant blaster with water school spell and they all "not high enough quality", lol. And what do you mean you "not seeing damage text"? You mean text : "x done y damage" above portraits or in "stats menu"? It's works perfectly fine for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom