Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's settle this once and for all: Fallout 2 or Underrail?

Choose wisely

• Total voters
Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
All of these places are BORING SHIT (cept maybe New Reno, which is cartoonish)
3PJ1FST.png

even Underrail is betta

sgs - ARROYO
bugs compound
junkyard - DEN
gang war and depot a dungeon
rail crossing - VAULTCITY vs GECKO
faceless incursion vs village, plot start
camp hathor - KLAMATH
king of traps
foundry - BROKENHILLS + REDDING
more bugs
core city - NEW RENO
factions pick, faceless, bunch of shit
tchortist - SAN FRANCISCO
endgame gate
protectorate/drones - ALL ENCLAVE LOCATIONS
too long didnt play lol

Underrail has also about 3 times as much content, maps, locations, etc.
If it had a little bit more of larpy quests like Fallout Nevada, and your imaginary friends like Sulik, it would blow F2 out of the water - for larper faggots that is...
Underrail even has the stats and mechanics in the engine to actually write and implement all kinds of cute larper shit. Far more than F2. It just isnt done.
There is hope for Expansion2 but Expansion1 has proven that the devs are actually morons - so there is that...

Looking back at F2, there is actually nothing in there that I liked...
- getting a car
- cleansing New Reno in a gang war
and there is a lot of shit I didnt like

jungl

Augur
The problem with underrail its a game with builds that doesnt actually have any builds. Every character you make is going be 10 stat this or 10 stat at creation. With fallout 2 however you going feel the impact of every stat spread. A 4 agility, 7 int, 8 charisma throughout the course of the game. Only thing you notice in underrail is a damage modifier going up with stats for whatever is your main stat.

If i play Underrail with Expedition on hard difficulty, until what margin of error does it allow me to play or punish the player without knowing anything about the rule system?.

What about the xp system?. Classic or Oddity?. Which is better and why?.

I don't remember where i read that oddity is the "default" system that the was designed for.

jackofshadows

Magister
If i play Underrail with Expedition on hard difficulty, until what margin of error does it allow me to play or punish the player without knowing anything about the rule system?.

What about the xp system?. Classic or Oddity?. Which is better and why?.

I don't remember where i read that oddity is the "default" system that the was designed for.
It depends on your experience with RPGs in general and on build you come up with. But completing Underrail on hard blindly is absolutely possible. Additionally, as you may've heared, there's a certain some sort of choke point early on so if you'll come up with something really non-viable you'll feel it soon enough. Much less likely you will suddenly stuck somewhere towards the end.

Yes, the game was designed with oddity system in mind first and it shows. I'd recommend it for the first playthrough. 'Classic' allows to skip various places and gain missing experience by killing more mobs - it is more suited for subsequent playthroughs.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You mean that here, on Codex, where in the TOP70, Planescape comes in 1st place despite admittedly having bad/trash combat, people care about things like "setting", "atmosphere", "dialogues/writting" and "choices and consequences"???
Underrail does those things better than Fallout 2 as well. My point is that people will only cite those things when trying to say FO2 is better because they know it's a lot harder to call them on their bullshit.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Underrail does those things better than Fallout 2 as well. My point is that people will only cite those things when trying to say FO2 is better because they know it's a lot harder to call them on their bullshit.

Ping me when Underrail is party-based and has overworld exploration (run wouldn't hurt either)

Drowed

Arcane
(run wouldn't hurt either)

But you can 'run', even if not literally. Just press +.

EDIT
rating_citation.png
:

1.png

Have you guys really never used / don't know about the + key? WTF? I basically always leave the game at max speed except in specific parts where I am exploring or sneaking around.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
(run wouldn't hurt either)

But you can 'run', even if not literally. Just press +.

EDIT
rating_citation.png
:

1.png

Have you guys really never used / don't know about the + key? WTF? I basically always leave the game at max speed except in specific parts where I am exploring or sneaking around.
This feature wasn't advertised anywhere in game for a really long time.

Drowed

Arcane
that was added long after release afaik

Yeah, it was, and the map too. It pains me to remember the time when Underrail didn't even had a map, and how many people thought that it was great that way. To each his own, I guess.

But it was in the game before the Expedition DLC, which was released in Jul/2019. It's not exactly a new feature. But unlike the map, "fast-forward" wasn't so widely publicized, that is true.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm replaying Fallout 2 right after coming off Fallout and Underrail, and what stands out the most is how terrible the early game is. If you don't have Gambling, there's no way to afford anything for the first 4 hours unless you farm random encounters. I feel like I'm constantly wandering between settlements looking for the easiest sources of XP so I can proceed to Vault City where the game finally gets good. I know how to do a Navarro run, but you might as well not even play the game if you're going to break it open that wide.

flushfire

Augur
What would you trade for before VC anyway? If you go in/restrict yourself to play blind the only other significant (xp and item/cash wise) settlement available is Redding, and there's nothing to buy there... very good free items that early though. IDK I've just never had the same problem, it's actually pretty nice to at least struggle early on.

laclongquan

Arcane
Modoc has some pretty good loot, particular the Farm's quest can net you an assault rifle, and the tanner give you the best armor up to that point.
The usual, and easiest, way to harvest loots and xp is travel to Redding and join a caravan.
You have to waste time a bit until the time they arrive and start hiring.
You travel with some combatant NPC so even your low level characters can have someone to hide behind.
You can loot the corpses they killed.
If you take the VC caravan: there you go.
If you take the New Reno caravan: you can pick up a lot of things and can buy good stuffs, better than the shop in VC.
If you take the NCR caravan: you are stuck in danger zone. The only way for low level chars to get out of that is to take the brahmin drive quest to do a caravan trip back at the safe zones.
Brahmin drive is explicitly designed to do such thing: it's instantly available. There's plenty of meatshields for you to hide behind until the guards kill attackers. And it's a one time thing so you dont have to worry about the bad result of letting everyone die, unlike caravans.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The usual, and easiest, way to harvest loots and xp is travel to Redding and join a caravan.
You have to waste time a bit until the time they arrive and start hiring.
You travel with some combatant NPC so even your low level characters can have someone to hide behind.
You can loot the corpses they killed.
If you take the VC caravan: there you go.
If you take the New Reno caravan: you can pick up a lot of things and can buy good stuffs, better than the shop in VC.
If you take the NCR caravan: you are stuck in danger zone. The only way for low level chars to get out of that is to take the brahmin drive quest to do a caravan trip back at the safe zones.
That's functionally equivalent to farming the patrol vs slaver encounters between the Den and Modoc.

What would you trade for before VC anyway? If you go in/restrict yourself to play blind the only other significant (xp and item/cash wise) settlement available is Redding, and there's nothing to buy there... very good free items that early though. IDK I've just never had the same problem, it's actually pretty nice to at least struggle early on.
Freeing Vic, freeing Sulik, having armor and stimpaks.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I'm replaying Fallout 2 right after coming off Fallout and Underrail, and what stands out the most is how terrible the early game is. If you don't have Gambling, there's no way to afford anything for the first 4 hours unless you farm random encounters. I feel like I'm constantly wandering between settlements looking for the easiest sources of XP so I can proceed to Vault City where the game finally gets good. I know how to do a Navarro run, but you might as well not even play the game if you're going to break it open that wide.
Tag steal and spec it up to 100 quickly - possible to do around lvl 3. Finish Arroyo and Klamath, get some non-combat XP in Den and go to New Reno. There, steal yourself as much weapons and ammo as needed. If you play RP, you can access Sierra and get even more stuff. From there on, it's a cakewalk.

jackofshadows

Magister
Just murder Flick in Den, it's very easy. No one gives a shit about his demise. And he's carrying a lot of stuff which can be traded for leather armor and/or 10mm SMG from Tubby, the other vendor in that area. You can murder him as well, it's just harder because he have some guards. With that gear you can kill slavers for lots of XP and more gear even w/o stealing psycho beforehand, just use corners and doors as an advantage. With psycho it's piss easy.

If you've invested in lockpicking, after getting to New Reno you can aquire there electronic lockpicks, few pulse grenades, return to the toxic caves and loot combat armor/bozar there... which is enough to do all the content prior to Navarro.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just murder Flick in Den, it's very easy. No one gives a shit about his demise. And he's carrying a lot of stuff which can be traded for leather armor and/or 10mm SMG from Tubby, the other vendor in that area.
^This.
"But I'm playing as a good samaritan! That would go against my build!!"
If you want to make the early game easier, and you've already changed combat difficulty, doing the following will help you survive the first hours:
Create a female Chosen One, name her "Buffy".
Travel to Klamath, and enter Buckner's hotel (technically incorect, but Ardin does rent you a room), and look for a shirtless dude. Steal his leather jacket, and wear it.
Immediately leave the town. Go to the nearby town, "The Den".
Enter Becky's bar. Talk with Rebecca while wearing the Sulik's armor you stole at Klamath.

Rebecca: Here you go. [Becky hands you $1000, 5 Stimpaks, Metal Armor, an Uzi, 5 clips of ammo, a Plasma Grenade, and flower]

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
I basically softlocked myself in fallout 2 at the den recently

I wasn't strong enough to progress to where I needed to go didn't really want to grind xp in some monotonous way just to get that little edge I needed

so I killed that minor gang in the west area right outside the transition zone in the middle of the street, then I killed that merchant who sells a 10mm smg, and no one cared, took all his stuff

I really appreciated this dynamic world I was able to experience

both games you can make a pile of bodies in a doorway

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom