Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Seeker
In My Safe Space
They are adding controller support instead.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Gregz citation needed bro? Really? A week into the launch the trannyzon WILL be replaced by anything from Ciri to some cat-eared loli, you know that.

Not all games are easily moddable, mod support in this case can mean things like level design and loot tables but no editing of character models. I might be wrong but I dont recall any mod for previous Diablo game having mods that alters character models or add new ones.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Gregz citation needed bro? Really? A week into the launch the trannyzon WILL be replaced by anything from Ciri to some cat-eared loli, you know that.

Not all games are easily moddable, mod support in this case can mean things like level design and loot tables but no editing of character models. I might be wrong but I dont recall any mod for previous Diablo game having mods that alters character models or add new ones.

Dunno how strict Blizz anti-whatever protection is, last Blizz game I bought is SC2 ten years ago. I naturally assume cosmetic mods aren't gonna be a problem. But this is triple A, I might be horribly naive.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Dunno how strict Blizz anti-whatever protection is, last Blizz game I bought is SC2 ten years ago. I naturally assume cosmetic mods aren't gonna be a problem. But this is triple A, I might be horribly naive.

Its not really about the game files being protected its just that some games engines and its files are packed in a way that modding is difficult without specialized tools. Even with developer published tools modding can still be very limited, with good example Witcher games that had official modkits released but very little mods with new content added.

Games that allow expansive modding like Bethesda games are actually exception to the rule and Diablo was never a series that had complex modding that added original content.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looks good apart from the UI... Sterile plastic windows. The equipment window and skill tabs looks awful in particular.

Blizzard used to be grim and gritty and charismatic, that was their trademark throughout the 1990s, but after 20 years of making cutesy childish games where everything looks like plastic action figurines or inflatable toys they simply don't have the talent for anything else anymore.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Well, this is not made by Blizzard. I think these guys are just being lazy with the UI. It looks like D3 windows. Look at D2 and how detailed the UI actually is, with a lot of celtic and gothic motifs.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Snap217_1.jpg

Clipboard04.thumb.jpg.2054d6a68ad7dc1517f347c71ef60633.jpg

A lot darker too. I hope they realize dark UI =/= dark atmosphere, but who knows, people are idiots.

DaveO

Erudite
Based off the beta gameplay, I'll go ahead and purchase. It likely won't be right away since the obvious move would be to go for maximum profit out of the gate. With console gamers able to play now with the remaster you now have the opportunity to play with them too. But I won't do multiplayer. The bot situation on the servers will no doubt get much worse and I have better things to do than to spend time with people that are pathetic.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
What rubs me the wrong way is the fact that Blizzard receives all the praises for this remaster, same as with D1 and D2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/124927-diablo-ii-resurrected-previews.html

PC Gamer:

Diablo 2: Resurrected will be out before the end of the year, says Blizzard. It includes the expansion, Lord of Destruction, and all of the cinematics have been redone (those aren't in the alpha, so I can't show you what they look like, sadly). Blizzard is charging $40 for it, or $60 bundled with Diablo 3 and all of its expansions. It feels a little pricey for a graphical overhaul of a 21-year-old game, but it's certainly a big overhaul, and based on what I've played so far, it's in great shape. Hopefully the multiplayer works well. I don't think I'd pay $40 to run through Diablo 2 with new graphics solo, but if I can share a classic with a friend I might be convinced.

VentureBeat:

So, yes, Diablo II was great, and it’s still great. But we’ve seen Blizzard ruin a classic before with Warcraft III: Reforged. Thankfully, the effort appears much more polished this time. Resurrected looks updated while retaining the spirit of the original. It’s still a dark, dreary world. It’s just less pixelated and jagged. And if you like your jagged pixels, which I know I do, you can still switch to the old graphics by pushing a single button. I spent a lot of time going back and forth between the two, having fun comparing the old characters with their updated looks.

GameSpot:

I don't know if I'm down to struggle through Act IV or Baal runs on Hell difficulty in the year 2021--I got a lot of games in my backlog as is. But if that's something you want to relive, or even play through for the first time, Diablo 2 Resurrected is showing all the signs that it's going to preserve that unique RPG that many of us remember fondly. So far, it's exactly as advertised, and I'm excited to see how the multiplayer experience will hold up in this remaster.

Ars Technica:

There's no getting around certain dated aspects of Diablo II. It doesn't lead you directly to objectives with systems like exclamation points on maps. Its inventory interface is terribly cramped, so accumulating and selling loot requires a lot of back-and-forth to town. And mouse-aiming some attacks and abilities can feel clunky compared to modern followers to Diablo's top-down adventuring throne. Many of those are a matter of taste, and Vicarious Visions seems content to stick to the older rules and limits—so if you want an adventuring game to baby you, maybe give Diablo III a look, instead.

TechRadar:

So what has changed? There’s 7.1 remastered audio, a shared item stash for your characters, cross progression with the eventual console releases, a new modding system, the benefits of modern Battle.net integration and some features not quite ready for this alpha release – including all-new cutscenes and accessibility features including a colorblind option.

But the biggie, as you might have expected, is a completely overhauled 4K facelift for the game’s graphics. With the push of the ‘G’ button, you’ll swap from the low-res pixel graphics of the original release, to a brand new 3D rendering of Diablo 2, complete with dynamic lighting effects and detailed character models.

Attack of the Fanboy:

That’s just part of what makes good remasters good: they don’t try to please both camps. Purists will bristle at even the slightest alterations, and returning fans open to change will want to see demonstrable adjustments. Thus far, Diablo 2: Resurrected is looking to be one of those good remasters, and Vicarious Visions know exactly which of those two hellfiends they plan to please. I believe newcomers will still find plenty to love about Diablo 2: Resurrected, but this one is clearly for the devout. It’s a good thing then that I’m among their order.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom