Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
The discussion earlier about playing hundreds or 1000s of hours of games is depressing and makes me feel like I should probably stop hanging out the codex since I barely play games now. The most time I’ve spent playing a game in years was like 40 hours on P:FK and even that I feel guilty about bc I could have made a whole week’s salary or spent more time with the family in that much time. Especially since we’ve long established that pretty much everything is shit. imagine how much money you could make in 1000 hours, that’s like 50-55% of the hours I spend on my full time job in a year.

Sounds like you could use a little more nihilism there, Nihiliste. You’re turning into a Republican. Hobby time doesn’t translate readily into work time without degrading both work and life performance.

A good balance works best.

Nihilism goes out the window with kids. You’re right about balance but video games has always been one of many other hobbies so I’ve also gotta carve out time to get swole, learn outdated metal riffs, and shitpost relentlessly

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The discussion earlier about playing hundreds or 1000s of hours of games is depressing and makes me feel like I should probably stop hanging out the codex since I barely play games now. The most time I’ve spent playing a game in years was like 40 hours on P:FK and even that I feel guilty about bc I could have made a whole week’s salary or spent more time with the family in that much time. Especially since we’ve long established that pretty much everything is shit. imagine how much money you could make in 1000 hours, that’s like 50-55% of the hours I spend on my full time job in a year.
Yeah, you know what's my problem with that? I don't really enjoy working, and instead enjoy playing videogames very much.

Find a job you like better and pays lots of $$$. If all else fails you could get a job writing 5 minute troll essays about how video games are racist and misogynistic for Ivy League schools, DC think tanks, and the UN and mint money.
Find a job I like? Maybe you missed something:

I bet you feel like a fool now.

aloeh

Novice
I'm looking for optimization. I know is in EA(I'm always read Electronic Arts) but my 3070 can't maintain 60 fps in 4k at goblin city, or in 1080p.

In true it's very rare the game maintain a decent fps. Vulkan's bug with Gsync?

Gargaune

Magister
I'm looking for optimization. I know is in EA(I'm always read Electronic Arts) but my 3070 can't maintain 60 fps in 4k at goblin city, or in 1080p.

Swap to DX11, you should get better mileage on the 3070.

aloeh

Novice
are you sure its gpu? sounds like you are cpu bound?
Probably some cpu bound, but nothing tath drastic. I have a I7 4 generation.

Played cyberpunk at 1080p in 60fps praticaly 90% of the time in high with gtx 1080 (before change de cards).

No way bg3 is more cpu demanding than bugpunk 2077

Swap to DX11, you should get better mileage on the 3070.

I'll try, thanks.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
are you sure its gpu? sounds like you are cpu bound?
Probably some cpu bound, but nothing tath drastic. I have a I7 4 generation.

Played cyberpunk at 1080p in 60fps praticaly 90% of the time in high with gtx 1080 (before change de cards).

No way bg3 is more cpu demanding than bugpunk 2077
Why speculate when you can evaluate? Check your GPU and CPU usage when running BG3 at various resolutions and graphics levels and compare the numbers.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

I have an RTX 2060 and with DirectX 11 the game never drops below 60 fps.

Cnaiur

Augur

Find a job at big tech that pays $250k/y, work your regular 40h weeks and enjoy your hobby without remorse in the evenings.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

Find a job at big tech that pays $250k/y, work your regular 40h weeks and enjoy your hobby without remorse in the evenings.
OR realize that money doesn't make you happy, find a job that occupies your time as little as possible, and enjoy your life and your hobbies as much as you can. Unless your hobbies are expensive, in that case you're fucked.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
find a job that occupies your time as little as possible, and enjoy your life and your hobbies as much as you can.
This is basically what I've done atm. I work like 2 hours a day tops (most of the time it's between one and one and a half hours). It's pretty great and the money isn't too shabby either, not gonna lie. But I do have other sources of income too, so ymmv. I just can't imagine wasting 8-9 or even 12 hours a day working. What kind of life is that? No, thanks.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
OR realize that money doesn't make you happy, find a job that occupies your time as little as possible, and enjoy your life and your hobbies as much as you can. Unless your hobbies are expensive, in that case you're fucked.

RPG Gaming is a bless of a hobby cuz are not expensive. I have almost 700 hours on kingmaker, which means that I paid almost nothing for each hour of fun playing the game. All other things that I like to do are extremely expensive. Skiing even in cheap places to ski like Bariloche - Argentina? Plane travels, hotel, fees, renting ski eqquipment. Hunting? Also expensive. Going in a firing range? Also expensive. Working out at the gym? Less expensive but **** the lockdowns and work out with a mask BS.

Of course, gaming can be expensive if you wanna play AAA "live service" BS games at competitive levels by purchasing lootboxes.

But I disagree that money doesn't make us happy. Money pays for things that are necessary for our happiness.

Yosharian

Arcane
find a job that occupies your time as little as possible, and enjoy your life and your hobbies as much as you can.
This is basically what I've done atm. I work like 2 hours a day tops (most of the time it's between one and one and a half hours). It's pretty great and the money isn't too shabby either, not gonna lie. But I do have other sources of income too, so ymmv. I just can't imagine wasting 8-9 or even 12 hours a day working. What kind of life is that? No, thanks.
2 hours a day? wtf

I'm so glad I decided to upgrade my computer 5 months ago and not now, lol.
I did as well. It still wasn't enough to actually get a new GPU. My TWO 3080 preorders were both cancelled in February after 5 months of queue. So now I have a dashing new top-of-the-line PC (well, almost) with an underwhelming GTX 1070 as GPU.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I went to a seedy repair shop in a bad part of town that has good ratings online and got hooked up.

Cut out the middleman/big business, support the working man/small business.

Judging by Wrath it’s all the burning shit in BG3 bogging things down.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron

Its more an issue of, if my hourly rate is x and x dollars allows me to afford y thing that I or my family needs or would enjoy, I need to get x dollars of enjoyment out of every hour of a given game to justify playing it. But there’s also diminishing returns in the enjoyment the more hours you play. I felt like kingmaker gave me enough enjoyment that it was worth it, but looking at this game it seems doubtful.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Let's talk about something that is frequently discussed, but I've never seen closure brought to it.
That's really good news. Suppose I like the character of Karlach, but she ends up a barbarian, which I don't like. The full game will give me the opportunity to change her into paladin, or wizard. That's really good news, because I don't think we'll be getting a lot of companions. Certainly not enough to cover every class.

Then again, this page also has the following lies
If you create a custom character, you have the freedom to define your race, class and appearance, and you'll still find yourself embedded in the story of Baldur's Gate 3 through personal connections to the events that unfold. Exactly how is something we'll let you discover as you play.
I played through early access numerous times, and a half-elf cleric of Shar does not see any content that Shadowheart wouldn't. And Shadowheart will receive content of her own, too.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Let's talk about something that is frequently discussed, but I've never seen closure brought to it.
That's really good news. Suppose I like the character of Karlach, but she ends up a barbarian, which I don't like. The full game will give me the opportunity to change her into paladin, or wizard. That's really good news, because I don't think we'll be getting a lot of companions. Certainly not enough to cover every class.

But then she is going to talk like a barbarian, act like a barbarian, bark in fights like a barbarian, and then.... she is a paladin, actually? Not sure about this.
Obviously small tweaks to min-max or make the character you like fit in your composition - great. But drastically altering their build seems weird. Like if in Divinity OS2 you made Ifan Ben-Mezd your warrior-tank, but then his quests and dialogues act like he is a crossbow assassins type still.

I'm playing this game on my GTX 950, and I want to die.
Works fine on my meme GTX 970. The only issue I have is that when the game initially loads, all the start menu textures are low res, and high res pops in after a few seconds. Never happens in the game, just the main menu.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom