Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

bandersnatch

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Boyfriend Dungeon (if it ever comes out) will be labelled the best RPG of the decade by the Codex. Just watch.

Silentstorm

Learned
EA will remember they own Ultima and release a brand new game with a big budget...it will be a fantasy themed battle royale.

lametta

Educated

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Funnily enough it's Chinese common perception that Westerners, even whitey let alone blacks, are smelly. Body smells are waay stronger than Chinese nose can accustom to.

So yeah, to CHinese, they themselves are cleaner than whiteys.

Japanese yes, Chinese lol no. They still eat rats for fucks sake. They are free to believe in their fairytales though, but religions shouldn't be blindly accepted in Communist China of all places.

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
Diablo and its bullshit offshoots aren't rpgs, nor are Morrowind or any of its imitators. The Ultima games aren't rpgs. All of the aforementioned are also trash.

Aemar

Arcane
Witcher 3 is a decent action-adventure game despite its shortcomings. yet it doesn't belong on this site's top RPGs list. Same goes for the rest of the games in the series.

Quillon

Arcane
Witcher 3 is a decent action-adventure game despite its shortcomings. yet it doesn't belong on this site's top RPGs list. Same goes for the rest of the games in the series.

even disco is a best rpg here in some list, dafuq are you talking about

Wunderbar

Arcane
it's not even a decent action adventure, for that the game should at least have a good combat system and something exciting in its huge open world.

I still think that the only reason TW3 became so popular was Bloody Baron questline. It was the only good main questline (who even remembers Skellige, Novigrad or the titular Wild hunt?), and it was also the first questline in the game, so normies who usually don't finish games got to the good stuff right off the bat.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know much about the AA/Indie market of JRPG's.

Noone really does for indies. True Indie JRPGs like Metal Max take a decade to leave Japan, if they ever do so. As my ability to speak Moonrunes is still limited, just as my patience for fan translations the smallest games we get in the west are at least A/AA rank.

For A/AA JRPGs:
Classical gridlocked dungeon crawlers a la Wizardry and early Might and Magic are picking up. There are two different big games released in Japan with translations announced for the west, and two more big games are currently being made. Really nice development as that genre is currently very dead in the West commercially.

GHhXxtC.jpg

Games in translation are Labyrinth of Galleria and Undernauts Labyrinth of Yomi. Games being made are Experience Inc's new crawler that looks a lot like Etrian Odyssey and the new game by the Etrian Odyssey devs. Pic is Labyrinth of Yomi.

SaGa games are picking up, which are nonlinear JRPGs with high exploration and without level ups. Instead they use an ability upgrade system like the Elder Scrolls, and level scaling for random encounters with static boss encounters like Wizardry 8. They are also the only game series in existance that ever made level scaling fun through some clever mechanics.
NR18CNN.jpg

But the West is a lot better when it comes to tactical rpgs currently. There is only one big name tactical rpg in the pipeline in Japan currently in Triangle Strategy, while Steam has plenty of ambitious tactical RPGs like Battle Brothers, Urtuk, Trials of Fire and Solasta. Being an SRPG (how the Japanese call tactical rpgs) fan right now is suffering, as you need to know Japanese to play all the interesting games that got never ported.

f5Q6lPz.jpg

So yeah the Japanese niche market is definitly lacking in tactical rpgs right now, so you can call the Western market better if you want.
The classical blobber rennaissaince is really nice tho.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
so you can call the Western market better if you want.

In past, I "bashed" a lot of JRPG's, but now changed my mind. Is not their fault. They are just different.I just don't like then cuz I have a deep passion for Magic and Firearms. Most JRPG's tends to not allow this class fantasies upon the player or when allow, is in a very "limited" and lackluster way. They also tend to not care about making things in gameplay great as they are in lore/cutscene/wathever. IMO game mechanics should reinforce the setting and "player fantasy", not goes against it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom