Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Larian could call it anything, but decided to call it "arch druid" because they have no clue about what archdruids, archpriests and archmages are supposed to be.
An archdruid is a head druid. An archpriest is a head priest. An archmage is a head mage. If we're invoking games other than DnD, in Morrowind the archmage of the Mage's Guild is a notoriously inept fool, who got his position through politics, and not through personal skill or knowledge.

But in the first edition...
This is not the first edition.
While it's true an archdruid is "simply" the head druid of a grove, getting to be a head druid of a grove is not easy and requires specific conditions that aren't appropriate for low level characters. It also requires recognition from other high-ranking druids. Just calling your band of misfits a grove and appointing yourself as the leader of the group doesn't cut it. It's like a bunch of 3rd year med students gathering in their parents' basement and start calling themselves doctors with a clinic.
the archdruid is a dunce who is an archdruid solely because the one that was there went missing

This just kicks the autism ball down the road, because then he can just complain that the real arch druid is also not level 20. Of course, he can't be, since there's a fight that includes him and the ~ level 4 player party, but muh 1e definitions! Muh lore!
It does make me complain, but not because the archdruid is not high level (which he should be, don't get me wrong), but because a party of level 4s shouldn't be fighting archdruids.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Nope. Solasta will gonna be the best low to mid level game and PF:WoTR will gonna be the best mythic game.
Solasta is a great adaptation of 5e ruleset, and has great combat that I enjoyed. But combat isn't all there is to the game. There's plot, characters, there's graphics, even voice acting - Solasta is lacking in all those aspects. There's one memorable character in the entire game.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Nope. Solasta will gonna be the best low to mid level game and PF:WoTR will gonna be the best mythic game.
Solasta is a great adaptation of 5e ruleset, and has great combat that I enjoyed. But combat isn't all there is to the game. There's plot, characters, there's graphics, even voice acting - Solasta is lacking in all those aspects. There's one memorable character in the entire game.

I take it you are not a fan of toilet humor in the opening segment of your adventure?

because a party of level 4s shouldn't be fighting arch druids.
A party of level 8 characters fights Strahd von Zarovich.

Also when I fought the arch-druid in BG3's early access, I fought him alongside 10-15 goblins. So mechanically he wasn't the level he is supposed to be, but you can autocorrect in your head, that you swarmed the powerful master with your horde.

Lacrymas

Arcane
because a party of level 4s shouldn't be fighting arch druids.
They are more likely lvl 10, but I haven't played the 5E revamped version yet, so I wouldn't know from experience. In any case, an archdruid should be fought by lvl 8-10s, not 4. The problem here is that going too epic too quickly leaves you with no options going forward. When level 4s are fighting archdruids, what are lvl 6s supposed to be fighting? Avatars of gods? Then you have 14 more levels of escalation to go through, lololol.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

On 5e... On 2e, he was ... really .... a terrifying enemy. Even fighting a CLONE of Strahd was hard(and yes, Strahd had access to clone spell on 2e as he was 16th level on Domains of Dread - page 96)

Also when I fought the arch-druid in BG3's early access, I fought him alongside 10-15 goblins. So mechanically he wasn't the level he is supposed to be, but you can autocorrect in your head, that you swarmed the powerful master with your horde.

An Archdruid would just firstorm your low level army to oblivion...

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

An Archdruid would just firstorm your low level army to oblivion...

Firstly, he was stuck in bear form when I did the fight. This was before the druid update, maybe they changed things.
Secondly, HOLY AUTISM BATMAN!

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Is it not truth that the game must be optimized for fun, and not for faithfulness to teh holy texts?
I don't want a PC version of tabletop pen&paper games, I want a fun PC game.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Is it not truth that the game must be optimized for fun, and not for faithfulness to teh holy texts?

A lot of mythic paths that OwlCat is including on their new game doesn't exist on P&P but are fun. That is great. More hp bloat in a edition with ridiculous HP bloat is not fun.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Is not truth that 5e shapeshifter druids are virtually unkillable?
It depends on what you mean by shapeshifter druids. Druids of the Moon? Yes. The problem is the lack of cooldown on shapeshift. They are ridiculously overpowered, so you need a sadistic DM to challenge a party with such a Druid, but the other members of the party will feel worthless because the mobs need to do a looooot of damage to burn through the extra HP of the forms, so the party members either die or feel powerless due to inflated mob hp.

Fun is not disconnected from narrative pacing and character progression. The holy texts suggest a good tension curve that will help you as a DM to create a fulfilling story for your party.

Codex Year of the Donut
BG1/2 follow the rules very loosely yet it gets worshiped as some kind of faithful interpretation

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
BG1/2 follow the rules very loosely yet it gets worshiped as some kind of faithful interpretation

But its old. You have to virtue signal to the Codex by liking old things, and disliking new things. Else your alerts page will look like mine: 20x Retard badges in a row as someone dislikes your post and goes through your post history to dislike every other post you made that week.

hell bovine

Arcane
Let's talk about something that is frequently discussed, but I've never seen closure brought to it.
That's really good news. Suppose I like the character of Karlach, but she ends up a barbarian, which I don't like. The full game will give me the opportunity to change her into paladin, or wizard. That's really good news, because I don't think we'll be getting a lot of companions. Certainly not enough to cover every class.
Or they will restrict the choice to classes that fit the origin story, e.g. Gale could be a wizard or sorcerer.

Codex Year of the Donut
Let's talk about something that is frequently discussed, but I've never seen closure brought to it.
That's really good news. Suppose I like the character of Karlach, but she ends up a barbarian, which I don't like. The full game will give me the opportunity to change her into paladin, or wizard. That's really good news, because I don't think we'll be getting a lot of companions. Certainly not enough to cover every class.
Or they will restrict the choice to classes that fit the origin story, e.g. Gale could be a wizard or sorcerer.
deadfire is the only game in recent memory that did it correctly
give them a range of similar classes to pick from rather than blank slate or only one class

Lacrymas

Arcane
Deadfire also has a lot of companions to choose from when the sidekicks are taken into account, which they should be.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
If the whole game is like the EA, and if they fix some thigns wrong with the game, it will be the best RPG in a while when it releases.
After modding yes.

Divinity Original Sin's modding kit didn't see too much use. A few cheat mods were made, to buy spells and weapons early, or respect, things like that. A few new classes were made, which used recolors of existing spells.
But we didn't get new campaigns, nothing like the modding wealth of Elder Scrolls, or Neverinter Nights, or Warcraft III, or Mount&Blade... And yes, I wanted my fucking NWN successor. I WANT THAT MODDING COMMUNITY BACK TOGETHER.

hell bovine

Arcane
I think the elfbear is just the druid leader, not an actual archdruid in levels. He talks about being involved in the past conflict with the Sharrans which created the shadowlands, so perhaps he was seriously depowered as a result.

Considering he can ambush your party alone in the camp, depending on the path taken on the evil route, I don't think Larian will give him more levels. It would mean a gameover at this point.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
he problem is the lack of cooldown on shapeshift. They are ridiculously overpowered, so you need a sadistic DM to challenge a party with such a Druid, but the other members of the party will feel worthless because the mobs need to do a looooot of damage to burn through the extra HP of the forms,

I would't say cooldowns, cuz it is a chore on PC games, imagine in TT games. However, if you look to how shifters works on movies and etc. From cartoons to movies, Mutano from teen titans when takes damage one one form, carries that damage to other form. Damages and conditions applies in one form must be taken to another form. Diablo 2 druid did it. You can shapeshift from werewolf into human and werebear, but you will not regain health by doing so.

Of course, the exception to that rule is few abilities like mistform that vampires and efreets has. But if the druid is near dead and assume a bear form, he should assume a bear form in a heavily damaged stage. not into a fully healed bear.

SSI games are far more faithful however, compare BG2 with lets say DDO which is not a bad game BTW.

Some alterations that they did in the rules, I personally liked. Like more specialized casters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom