Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is so much more fun than the guided tour. Also, the pirate base is a whole lot more interesting than the Aegis encampment.

db86387c1f.png

These poor bastards just don't stand a chance. It's a shame their VERY IMPRESSIVE SEC-TROOPER ARMOR FROM THE RICH AND EXTREMELY COOL NORTH OF UNDERRAIL is constructed from cardboard toilet paper tubes coated in mushroom paste, conferring them with an unfortunate weakness to Expertise SMG JHP. The only reason there's any wreckage at all is because I was surprised trying to sneak back around the bend to the core waterways one time and sprayed W2C and grenades at them.

Actually, that's when I discovered something peculiar: If you wait at the very corner of a zone transition, Aegis Patrollers will approach you, but then stop a ways off without forcing combat. That might need to be fixed, because it's exploitable.

There's no need to exploit it, though, because much as with siphoners, if you press Enter as soon as you hear ski engines, you'll get to go first. And getting to go first pretty much means that I win.

Last edited:

CHEMS

Scholar
Biggest downside of oddity system? Completing Gauntlet gives oddity XP, so I wanna do it, but it's the Gauntlet, so I don't do it, and it bugs me.

Is Gauntlet generally unpopular, I wonder? I always avoid it either until late, or entirely, unlike pretty much all of the rest of the content in the game.

Maybe? Hard to tell, because the people who don't mind or even like the Gauntlet don't complain online like I do, so I might just be a vocal minority. It's not a big deal tho, since it's optional, unlike the labyrinth.

Continuing the shiv run, I did Fort Apogee.

I determine how difficult Apogee is for a build, by the position I use in the main area, when fighting the horde of cans and the three Dreadnoughts:
  • There's the pillar right at the entrance. This isn't even a chokepoint, but a LoS break location reserved almost exclusively for burst weapon builds, with some exceptions. High DPT builds can just kill everyone as they come, superior damage output carrying them.
  • Then there's the store, the shelves in the store and the storeroom. Most builds eventually fall back to the storeroom, due to its doorway chokepoint in order to stall the fight and inability to kill off enemies fast enough.

This Shiv build had to fall back to the storeroom pretty early in the fight. It's poorly suited to fight tincans, but can handle Fort Apogee fairly well. Awful early/mid-game tho.
In hindsight, it's not surprising - Shiv is a knife and knives are among the strongest melee weapons, when used with a glass cannon build.

The idea of destroying a 5 fully armoured combat mechs with a fucking shiv is hilarious

Fucking love you mate

CHEMS

Scholar
This is so much more fun than the guided tour. Also, the pirate base is a whole lot more interesting than the Aegis encampment.

And you get a exclusive pirate-only perk that improves your naval combat.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Turns out I was doing the game in the wrong order. Mostly ignored Foundry before going to the big city and was wondering about this sudden spike in difficulty. :hmmm:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I always did core city first

I can do some real Operator Mode stuff with the Ironheads right now. You know, storming a room, shotgunning a few and vanishing into stealth again. Never were able to do that with, say, the Pacino bandits.

CHEMS

Scholar
Pacino is doable with stealth, you can kill at least 3 guys there without actually being seen

The fist one patrolling
A second one when you turn of the lights
The guy on the isolated room

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
And you get a exclusive pirate-only perk that improves your naval combat.

To be fair, you need it a lot more as a pirate. You can largely ignore jet-to-jet combat otherwise—that was especially true during my first Expedition playthrough when the random encounters and Abandoned Waterways didn't yet exist.

I'm well on my way to not only having one of every jet ski, but also having them all (except junks, and the Freighter, which I run with two 100% consumption mediums and uncommon batteries) equipped with rare and unique parts.

I wish there were some sort of quest to repair or otherwise recover the unique LEMCO parts for use only with the Reef Glider, which would give it an excellent niche as a very efficient light jet, but otherwise outclassed by any other premium jet in nearly every respect. As it is, it's a slightly faster, slightly more maneuverable, just fractionally more durable junk jet.

ae22e69e6a.png

Tygrende

Arbiter
Battery drain is completly irrelevant. What else are you going to do with all those 500 energy batteries lying around? If you're not an energy pistol build you will also be using all 200 energy batteries on them as well. Just found batteries are enough to feed the biggest battery hogs for the whole game.

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah, I love plasma deviator now. Installed the two most voracious powerful engines in it and gliding around like a boss. Who cares about consumption? The game ends waaaay before you run out of them let alone in need to buy more.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Battery drain is completly irrelevant. What else are you going to do with all those 500 energy batteries lying around? If you're not an energy pistol build you will also be using all 200 energy batteries on them as well. Just found batteries are enough to feed the biggest battery hogs for the whole game.

All the more reason to allow the restoration of LEMCO parts for the Reef Glider, since, as you say, battery drain is completely irrelevant. Irrelevancy works both ways, you know.

It wouldn't be much of a niche, but would give it a reason to exist other than as either a collector's item or a cash-in.

Also, as a side note, batteries can be traded to some merchants to whom you may not have anything else to sell at the time (Ray being an example).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's a shame their VERY IMPRESSIVE SEC-TROOPER ARMOR FROM THE RICH AND EXTREMELY COOL NORTH OF UNDERRAIL is constructed from cardboard toilet paper tubes coated in mushroom paste...

The entire natives's subplot is a big brainfart: firearms versus spears, shock trooper armor versus shorts made of leaves, modern military versus tribals.

But hey, we got pirates therefore everything is fine.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
To be fair, some allowances must be made for primitive weapons (including primitive weapons with lightsabers glued on) because we're in RPG land. Melee combat relegated to a mere vestige of yesteryear is an undesirable level of realism.

Also, those tribals have genuinely psychic shamans according to the game world's lore; and as hackneyed as the "technologically superior military force versus savage natives" concept may be at this point, at least the natives are credibly portrayed as a truly ominous and formidable threat. The Serpentborn can be obnoxious, which in a way is good, and they're definitely badass, which is also good. Furthermore they drop very little of value other than Adrenaline Shot 2: The Sequel (unless you're using a poison crossbow), which is also good, because the incentive to fight them for rewards is minimized.

The pirates and their Australian-esque patois are pretty great. Styg has even managed to do the impossible, which is to include female pirates without making me feel as though I've walked into a post-modern feminist interactive lecture. It still stretches the boundaries of belief somewhat to place women in a position other than sex slave (or just slave) in the context of post-apocalyptic pirates living in a hostile widlerness, but again, it was done as well as it can be done.

CHEMS

Scholar
The fact that the expedition camp, with top notch military equipment financed by the UNITED STATIONS FUND can get razed by tribals with bone spears and xbows is just ridiculous lol

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The fact that the expedition camp, with top notch military equipment financed by the UNITED STATIONS FUND can get razed by tribals with bone spears and xbows is just ridiculous lol

Ultimately, you're not entirely wrong, but you may be underestimating the logistical difficulties and truly absurd expenditures required to mount a remote expedition in hostile territory. Bear in mind that even in the real world, if not for infectious disease and some unfortunate circumstances (Motecuhzoma being a coward and an idiot, for example), Native Americans and Mesoamericans would have totally obliterated European expeditions, at least in their initial form. Actually, their tolerance of their strange new visitors was one of the factors that did them in—a tolerance that the Serpentborn lack.

The primary cost will be in paying and feeding the personnel, and Sec-Troopers get paid a lot. The researchers probably get paid even more, and the support personnel are nothing to sniff at, either. We're talking tens of thousands of charons per day, no doubt, when you include powering and maintaining the jets, shipping in a steady stream of antidotes and other medical supplies, reinforcing losses, dumping ammo on a regular basis, et cetera and so on. This is still a post-apocalyptic world, after all, and it's a world in Descent from the Center.

Cruiser:
  • +5% cover
  • +10% DR
  • +10 DT
  • +100 durability
Patroller:
  • +7% speed
  • +5% maneuverability
The Patroller needs either +50 durability or more speed and maneuverability in order to be a proper side grade. As it is, the Cruiser is overall superior, which I dislike as that's not really true of any other premium jet... except the Blazer, but even it is an affordable light jet, which can be an important factor.

jackofshadows

Magister
Nah, Blaine is right, we're talking about RPG after all. That vid where dude just shived the entire advanced military fortress would hardly make sence from a storytelling standpoint. The Expedition factions are great whithin context of their purpose and they squeezed into game's setting good enough. Reminder that these are not just some tribals, they're barely humans even. Admittedly, I moaned about bone xbows a bit myself but that was just about game's mechanic, lore wise they're fine.

CHEMS

Scholar
The primary cost will be in paying and feeding the personnel, and Sec-Troopers get paid a lot. The researchers probably get paid even more, and the support personnel are nothing to sniff at, either. We're talking tens of thousands of charons per day, no doubt, when you include powering and maintaining the jets, shipping in a steady stream of antidotes and other medical supplies, reinforcing losses, dumping ammo on a regular basis, et cetera and so on. This is still a post-apocalyptic world, after all, and it's a world in Descent from the Center.

You got a point, i agree with that. But would make more sense they undeploy the expedition in that case. Now getting wiped out? I mean, the united station fund has a lot of money and Aegis looks a little understaffed there. Just 29 sec troopers defending the camp.

The Patroller needs either +50 durability or more speed and maneuverability in order to be a proper side grade. As it is, the Cruiser is overall superior, which I dislike as that's not really true of any other premium jet... except the Blazer, but even it is an affordable light jet, which can be an important factor.

The plasma leviator has the 3 size suspension slot, which is a gamechanger: it gives a whooping + 30% stability. It's my favorite one for fights, though i like the torpedo a lot because of the amounts of backtracking you'll do in the black sea and waterways.

Unpopular opinion: i think the devastator is overrated as fuck

Zeem

Learned
Speaking of natives, they have both numeric and home turf advantage. They have everything they need right there in Black Sea, so they're not limited in terms of logistics. They can send swaths of men to slowly cut through Aegis defenses and resources. Ultimately the time is on savages' side unless player intervenes with more permanent solutions.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
The Natives have two things Aegis doesn't: Unflappable Faith in an Eldritch Deity and an unending bounty of Bison Milk, Blow and Balm.

Bison-Milk.png
Vitality-Powder.png
Healing-Salve.png

Behold, the Three Fundamental Food Groups.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Irrelevancy works both ways, you know.
Not when battery drain is universally proportional to engine power, which does matter a lot. It improves carry capacity and speed. At this point there's no reason not to install the strongest engine available with no regard for energy consumption whatsoever.

Also, as a side note, batteries can be traded to some merchants to whom you may not have anything else to sell at the time (Ray being an example).
If there's not a huge pile of ski parts in front of Ray at all times that you can't sell fast enough then you're doing something wrong, and that also applies on DOM at just 25% base value. I thought you pride yourself in being a happy merchant. Step it up, Ray is a charon mine.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

The plasma leviator has the 3 size suspension slot, which is a gamechanger: it gives a whooping + 30% stability. It's my favorite one for fights, though i like the torpedo a lot because of the amounts of backtracking you'll do in the black sea and waterways.

Unpopular opinion: i think the devastator is overrated as fuck

Using a large suspension is a waste of space if you have +30% stability from the two naval warfare feats, or even just one of them (depending on the jet). For example, the 7 lb. XG Storm Cloud offers +12% suspension. On a 60% base stability jet, that's 60% + 30% +12% = 102% stability. Having said that, I'm not sure if stability >100% will actually give you a bonus, though that seems doubtful. Extra weight definitely translates to less supplies/loot haulage and a reduced speed gradient.

I'm using the Leviator right now because I like the variety of trying out different jets, but in my opinion the Shark and Protectorate Cruiser are right up there with it as the three overall best jets. The Cruiser is slightly less protective and has slightly less potential engine power and battery reserves than the Leviator, but is substantially faster when suped up (440/74% with both Abandoned Waterways unique engines). Speed is life. The Shark is faster still (substantially >500, can't check at the moment), but again, less protective, less potential engine power, less battery reserves. You can look at them as three gradients of the same concept.

Of course the Leviator has its plasma cannon, but the vehicle weapons aren't always gamechangers.

I group all combat-worthy premium jets into five categories (I've noted my preferred model within each category with a >, although that's in terms of stats; aesthetics-wise, I prefer the Devastator and Patroller to their counterparts):

• Superheavy (Leviator > Devastator)
  • Heavy (Cruiser > Patroller)
  • Medium (Shark > Glow)
  • Light (Phaser > Blazer)
  • Ultralight (Torpedo)

They're all very usable and customizable to different tastes and builds, which is a massive victory from a game design standpoint. That's why I want the Reef Glider to have a niche. Even the junk jets (affordable, and also NPCs have to have jets too) and freighter (towing) fill clear and needful niches. The Reef Glider fills no niche as an actual jet performance-wise, only as a collector's item or monetary reward.

A final note, the built-in lights of the Glow and Phaser are not to be sniffed at. They allow ranged builds that need to close distance (like my Expertise SMG build) to, for example, wear a strong metal helmet with a shaded visor instead of needing NVGs, without completely shitting on precision. ...On the other hand, I just remembered that my metal helmet also has a headlamp (new thing added since I last played), so never mind.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom