Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
If the whole game is like the EA, and if they fix some thigns wrong with the game, it will be the best RPG in a while when it releases.
I think it has the potential... But they REALLY have to address some core issues decisively, because their complete, utter negligence about them so far has been discouraging at best.
dos2 early access barely got any updates whatsoever, the release was way different from the early access

there was already content in BG3's first EA release for most of the game's areas we'll likely see in the full game, larian is likely much further along in development than they've revealed.
you could actually bug your way past the "end" of the early access to the next parts, btw.

hell bovine

Arcane
deadfire is the only game in recent memory that did it correctly
give them a range of similar classes to pick from rather than blank slate or only one class
Well, that would fit the origins and allow you to cover all classes with relatively few companions at the same time. Gale just doesn't make sense if he cannot cast arcane spells. Wyll on the other hand would make more sense as someone not as obvious as a warlock, e. g. a plain fighter.

Codex Year of the Donut
you could actually bug your way past the "end" of the early access to the next parts, btw.
Also, I've found act 2 information so I'm guessing some of it is already in the game and someone found a way to access it
ayyy
7NNsBEf.png
How to get there:
You need a way to revive a dead party member by themselves. I don't know of a good way to do it, so I used cheatengine to inject a revive call to the Osiris API.
You start the underdark boat fight, one char jumps off, get teleported dead to your camp, revive them somehow, then have the others jump off and revive them typically. Rest, because you'll have another fight.
Go back to the beach after resting, kill the duergar, take the skiff again, it takes you to the duergar camp.

this was in one of the very first EA releases

Sharpedge

Prophet
Larian could call it anything, but decided to call it "arch druid" because they have no clue about what archdruids, archpriests and archmages are supposed to be.
An archdruid is a head druid. An archpriest is a head priest. An archmage is a head mage. If we're invoking games other than DnD, in Morrowind the archmage of the Mage's Guild is a notoriously inept fool, who got his position through politics, and not through personal skill or knowledge.

But in the first edition...
This is not the first edition.
Then to throw a wheel in the wrench, an Arch-Lich is not a head lich.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Nope. Solasta will gonna be the best low to mid level game and PF:WoTR will gonna be the best mythic game.
Solasta is a great adaptation of 5e ruleset, and has great combat that I enjoyed. But combat isn't all there is to the game. There's plot, characters, there's graphics, even voice acting - Solasta is lacking in all those aspects. There's one memorable character in the entire game.
You're going from the shit plot/writing/characters in Solasta to the shit plot/writing/characters in bg3. At least one has the respect for it's players to not waste too much of your time with it. One tries to make it serviceable enough to get you from one dungeon to the other while one tries to make it the main part of the game. Solasta would be better as a complete dungeon crawler with none of this extra crap, but BG3 would only be better as not existing.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Larian could call it anything, but decided to call it "arch druid" because they have no clue about what archdruids, archpriests and archmages are supposed to be.
An archdruid is a head druid. An archpriest is a head priest. An archmage is a head mage. If we're invoking games other than DnD, in Morrowind the archmage of the Mage's Guild is a notoriously inept fool, who got his position through politics, and not through personal skill or knowledge.

But in the first edition...
This is not the first edition.
Then to throw a wheel in the wrench, an Arch-Lich is not a head lich.

Liches aren’t joiners.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Every RPG should be like a JRPG where you can only play as a human fighter teenager with a fast swinging blade

I was thinking that you had bought BG3 long time ago, when they announced the dungeons & kobolds lv cap.

Gale just doesn't make sense if he cannot cast arcane spells. Wyll on the other hand would make more sense as someone not as obvious as a warlock, e. g. a plain fighter.

But can you imagine people making Wyll a cleric of a LG deity?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

But one question. There is ANY other game where a Evoker at level cap can use his deadliest spell hit, roll high and fail to kill a lv 1 goblin? Where mere spiders can have above 100 hp? BG3 has the worst arcane magery of ALL TT inspired/Adapted games that I've played.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Casterfag tears sustain me.

Looks like sustain Larian too. But I an sure that modders will mod glorious 2e or 3e spells into BG3. Then BG3 might become a decent game. Not better than PF:WoTR BTW.

BG3 would only be better as not existing.

Remember the guy that I've posted on Reddit talking about how BG2 is """overrated""" cuz Liches are too powerful, fast swinging blades aren't the best weapon to kill golems and etc?

Look to negative reviews of BG2 and organize by most recent.

Steam reviewers said:
"You are constantly punished if you do not play the game exactly as the devs want you too" > https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198062315652/recommended/257350/

but it took me like 20 minutes to figure out how to disarm the trap in only the 2nd room. > https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971017725/recommended/257350/

Pretty much each and every set encounter requires that you do it two or three times in order not to get destroyed. Level 16 paladin and trying to fight succbi - 3 tries to get em down. I hate it when the game is designed to make each and every encounter an event that can wipe your party.
> https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007165173/recommended/257350/

Just search "keywords" like Larian, gate 3 with CTRL + F and see the noobs who are trying BG2 thanks to Larian. Of course, a lot of people are giving negative reviews due Beamdog BS which is fine. But a lv 16 Paladin getting destroyed so easily...

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
These are the exact type of people I would expect larian to cater to. And all the people here who support this game are part of the same group these people are, and there's nothing I would hate more than being comparable to these people in any way. Which is why bg series has been retroactively destroyed

Yosharian

Arcane
Let's talk about something that is frequently discussed, but I've never seen closure brought to it.
That's really good news. Suppose I like the character of Karlach, but she ends up a barbarian, which I don't like. The full game will give me the opportunity to change her into paladin, or wizard. That's really good news, because I don't think we'll be getting a lot of companions. Certainly not enough to cover every class.

But then she is going to talk like a barbarian, act like a barbarian, bark in fights like a barbarian, and then.... she is a paladin, actually? Not sure about this.
Obviously small tweaks to min-max or make the character you like fit in your composition - great. But drastically altering their build seems weird. Like if in Divinity OS2 you made Ifan Ben-Mezd your warrior-tank, but then his quests and dialogues act like he is a crossbow assassins type still.
How will I possibly cope with the ludonarrative dissonance generated by this? I mean, while I'm killing beholders, drow assassins and mind flayers as a level 3 character, and doing sidequests involving cheese and talking dogs.

I just don't know how I'm going to cope if my barbarian sidekick is actually a paladin, mechanically. It's just going to be too much for me.

Yosharian

Arcane
I mean, while I'm killing beholders,
they're spectators you dip
mind flayers
doesn't happen

weird how nearly every complaint about this game not being true to the source material ends up being bullshit
I'm doing no such thing, I'm simply making the observation that a little bit of LD from my character being a different class (because of a deliberate choice on my part) is not a big deal when you put it in context with the rest of the game

SoupNazi

How will I possibly cope with the ludonarrative dissonance generated by this? I mean, while I'm killing beholders, drow assassins and mind flayers as a level 3 character, and doing sidequests involving cheese and talking dogs.

I just don't know how I'm going to cope if my barbarian sidekick is actually a paladin, mechanically. It's just going to be too much for me.
None of this actually happens, at least not in the EA version we have right now. Maybe I missed talking dogs though?

Between idiots claiming shit about this game who've probably only seen a youtube video made by some 14yo shown on a stationary billboard that they saw while passing by it in a maglev train, and the other idiots who declare the game shit because they have no imagination and can't fathom that the game's nomenclature necessarily doesn't fit their autistic minds, it's really difficult to be critical about the game, which isn't flawless by any means, but jfc when did the 'dex turn into a worse place than twatterverse???

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Magefags btfo again by Swen.

All larian fanboys are anti magicians, probably because Larian has a total of zero games with decent magery. Divine Divinity is the unique where it is serviceable. But it din't awnsered my question. Do you enjoy low level goblins able to soak a hit from a warrior with 18 STR and a greataxe?

Bara

Arcane
All larian fanboys are anti magicians, probably because Larian has a total of zero games with decent magery. Divine Divinity is the unique where it is serviceable.

I found it more than serviceable specifically when I poly morphed a boss into a rabbit and when he showed up again later in the game he was still a rabbit. That might have been a bug but I love it.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Expecting a good rule system, even with the help of an established rule system, from the company that was responsible for DOS2 is naive.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Expecting a good rule system, even with the help of an established rule system, from the company that was responsible for DOS2 is naive.

Which are the greatest problems of BG3 implementations of 5e in your opinion? In my : HP bloat by far, then larian gimmicky. I don't care much about shove and disengage as bonus action.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom