Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info STAR FLEET II: Krellan Commander awaiting upgrade to v2.0

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tags: Star Fleet II: Krellan Commander; Tacticular Cancer; Trevor Sorensen

Star Fleet II: Krellan Commander is a space war simulator with in-depth galactic exploration, invasion and administration, which was first released in 1989. It was buggy as hell back then because the game was rushed out for Christmas, and its final, reportedly stable version 1.5B followed two years later in 1991.

However, Trevor Sorensen, Star Fleet II's original developer, is now cooking up an updated Version 2.0, with bug fixes, new content, and all that jazz... using his original 486. Yep. This means no "modern, enhanced edition" in the common sense of the expression, while the list of added features according to the game's steam page is as follows:

H6JZzvf.png

About Version 2.0
2.0 is a severely updated and enhanced version of the original game, with a wide variety of improvements and additions to the original game!

Improvements in 2.0 (list will grow and change as we approach release)
  • Improved AI
  • Improved UI
  • Numerous Bug Fixes
  • Quality of Life Enhancements with Improved Key Commands
  • New Features such as Beaming Prisoners Into Stars, Ship Performance Data and More!
  • New optional Central European ASCII Character Set
The release date for Version 2.0 is, of course, "when it's ready", but the developer doesn't mind if you play the old game for free. In fact, the original version 1.5B is available on his official webpage. You'll need Dosbox to run it if you're some loser who still doesn't have an operational 486. It's also recommended to RTFM.

(thanks to Kalin for the news)

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I remember playing this game when it was released and not knowing what the hell I was doing. I do remember it had one of those 200-page manuals you used to get with old tactical games. The thing was like a book.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I remember playing this game when it was released and not knowing what the hell I was doing. I do remember it had one of those 200-page manuals you used to get with old tactical games. The thing was like a book.
Yes! Holy shit I just remembered that I had this game. My uncle bought it for me for my birthday in 1991. The manual was indeed fucking huge and at 10 years old, the game was impossible for me to figure out. I can't remember what happened to it. The game is probably still at my mother's house, somewhere. I recall he'd read about it in a magazine (according to Wikipedia this was probably Dragon) and he downloaded a huge text file for me from a BBS that purported to be a guide of some sort. But between the bugs and high level of difficulty I could never get into it.

Luka-boy

Arcane
They (Trevor and the Youtuber who convinced him to start working on this game again) want to make a crowdfunded remaster someday, but not before 2.0 for the original is finished :salute:

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
played this way back when. Yes the level of detail was enormous but overwhelming mostly to autists I guess. A lot of stuff didn't need to be taken into consideration too much to finish a mission.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom