Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In terms of storyfagness, Returns is the best.

I think Dragonfall has it beat. The first half of Returns had a pretty good story when it was a murder investigation, but then there's a turning point where it turns into a generic save the world story. Funny enough, when the story got worse, I felt like the combat improved.

Ninjerk

Arcane

I think Dragonfall has it beat. The first half of Returns had a pretty good story when it was a murder investigation, but then there's a turning point where it turns into a generic save the world story. Funny enough, when the story got worse, I felt like the combat improved.
I had almost forgotten that shit. :argh:

Vatnik Wumao

And now it's...
bugging you? :smug:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

And now it's...
bugging you? :smug:
Going for the sucker punch I see.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
None of these games play especially great, but Dragonfall has some of the best world-building of any RPG ever. I really loved it for that. And unlike Hong Kong it's delivered fairly succinctly, I never felt like text boxes dragged on and on

hello friend

Arcane
Dragonfall has the best combat, but awful cringe companions and a slightly off smelling ebul nazis harrassing poore orks narrative. It's so German. AI stuff is good, though. Returns is unplayable, soulless, and boring. Honk Kong is the least offensive to the sensibilities, but doesn't reach the same heights in terms of encounter design as Dragonfall.

Riel

Arcane
I was pretty enraged with Shadowrun Returns when the bug phase started, the 1st time I just stopped playing and only finished it once in a later play through.

Infinitum

Scholar
Pretty sure the earlier games were imported by modders? More importantly, HK has the Caldecott caper which is the best neo-shadowrun module by a long shot.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Honestly I am glad I came into the HBS Shadowrun games with Dragonfall and only got to play the "enhanced" version of Returns/DMS just shortly before HK came out. If my first experience of the series was DMS, I would probably writte it of as complete shit.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but as someone who played all three games with a decker PC, I prefer HK above DF, becuase the matrix was much better in the third game.

Imrahil

Educated
What I didn't like about HK Decking was the emphasis on player skills instead of character skills - timing dodging ICE, memorization (the Simon numbers game), pattern matching. Once I figured out how it worked I realized I basically didn't need a Decker. I just put a couple points on my character & beat every mini-game easily. Sure, more Decking skill could make some of it a little easier, but not enough to actually dedicate a bunch of skill points, much less a roster spot.

Infinitum

Scholar
It's got the right idea though. Combat mechanics are interesting because they promote varied gameplay and provide non-binary outcomes. Sure beats the [skill check] cyoa gameplay most rpgs relegate their secondary systems to.

TheSoul

Scholar
Honk Kong had a lot more characters and events, but they didn't do much and their storylines started dragging on (Matthew and the doctor were the only citizens I liked).

Dragonfall's cast says a lot less but the dialogue stays relevant so it was more interesting when I played them back to back.

Decking in both games have problems. DF had matrix section during Aztechnology though, so I guess I'd prefer DF.

Love DF, Like HK, both games did do skill checks very well, if nothing else.

Vatnik Wumao
I preferred the town NPCs and plot of DF, but HK had superior mission design and a better companion rooster imho.

Which is not to say that the companions of DF were bad, but they were quite bland in their narrative design. Dietrich in particular could've been much more memorable given that he was designed around the old punk trope, but eh.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
HK had superior mission design
:what:

HK may have had some interesting mission setups plot-wise, but the levels themselves were really boring, a huge downgrade from DF.
Nah,play them back to back and you will see that HK is superior. The only negative argument people have about is that it has too much writing. If you like good/decent writing,you will like HK more than DF. Level design is also better,so is the karma system. The game is better all around.

That said both games are really good and a must for any serious rpg fan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom