Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
Larian could call it anything, but decided to call it "arch druid" because they have no clue about what archdruids, archpriests and archmages are supposed to be.
An archdruid is a head druid. An archpriest is a head priest. An archmage is a head mage. If we're invoking games other than DnD, in Morrowind the archmage of the Mage's Guild is a notoriously inept fool, who got his position through politics, and not through personal skill or knowledge.

But in the first edition...
This is not the first edition.
Then to throw a wheel in the wrench, an Arch-Lich is not a head lich.

Liches aren’t joiners.
Tell this to Orcus and his city of epic level liches with epic level servants!

hell bovine

Arcane
How will I possibly cope with the ludonarrative dissonance generated by this? I mean, while I'm killing beholders, drow assassins and mind flayers as a level 3 character, and doing sidequests involving cheese and talking dogs.

I just don't know how I'm going to cope if my barbarian sidekick is actually a paladin, mechanically. It's just going to be too much for me.
There are only spectators in the game for now, no full grown up beholders yet. As for mind flayers, technically you can kill one at level 1, since the one on the ship is scripted to attack the cambion and won't retaliate. The other one is not worth bragging about, since it has about 3 hp left when you find it.

Harthwain

Magister
Honestly, if Larian will not remove or at least make HP bloat optional, they could just remove every class who isn't the fighter.
Aren't you being overly dramatic? Despite the "HP bloat" we saw Swen going down multiple times when playing his own game, even without spells that can destroy you instantly. Or is that different in the Early Access?

hell bovine

Arcane
Honestly, if Larian will not remove or at least make HP bloat optional, they could just remove every class who isn't the fighter.
Aren't you being overly dramatic? Despite the "HP bloat" we saw Swen going down multiple times when playing his own game, even without spells that can destroy you instantly. Or is that different in the Early Access?
Sven is just terrible at playing his own game. What spellcasters have a problem with is not this "hp bloat", but surface effects, because just about everything will make you roll for concentration. In practice you need to keep casters at distance, but some spells are close range, so this is very annoying. But they've toned the surface effects once already, so if enough people complaining maybe they will get nerfed again.
On a side note, I haven't tested the abjurer yet (which apparently got a buff in patch 4), but I wonder whether they have to roll for concentration if only the ward is taking damage.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

You once again talk to throne of bloodstone with no clue about the module. As I've said, undeads can be artificially created and binded to serve a master. If we are talking about Orcus, the idea that he created Liches and the Liches are trying to beak free makes sense IMO.

Here is details about the city. On throne of the bloodstone - page 52

wJmywLp.png

j7RoJAR.png

Death knights with 9d10 hit dice, +5 unholy sword, d8+8 damage, 75% MR + spell turning, the monsters in that city are so ludicrous powerful that when you enter this city, you are probably so strong that on Mystara, you could start the quest to ascend into a Immortal. The module himself doesn't expect that PC's would win.

1nEGA0B.png

See? PC's aren't expected to win against the Liches. Even with a party at lv 40+, I don't know how to defeat that city. In that module, is almost impossible to defeat Orcus without the help of other peopĺe in Abyss that wanna to overthrow him. Even if you port the module to 5e, where liches are a cake walk, you don't go in a mindless rampage in that city.

Maybe he is bad on his own game, IDK. I defeated intellect devourers as a lv 1 warlock. While on NWN1, fight a single one of then on chapter 1 at lv 8 was pretty hard, since he kept entering different bodies and I almost ran out of spells.

What spellcasters have a problem with is not this "hp bloat", but surface effects, because just about everything will make you roll for concentration.

BOTH are awful. Surface effects and hp bloat are means that Swen used to make casters suffer. Swen hates casters more than Sawyer. BTW, Sawyer is amazing at making firearms on his games. Firearms are great on FNV and even pillars. But magic in his games are trash. Swen in other hands seems to be the greatest hater of everything that isn't melee.

Cael

Arcane

You once again talk to throne of bloodstone with no clue about the module. As I've said, undeads can be artificially created and binded to serve a master. If we are talking about Orcus, the idea that he created Liches and the Liches are trying to beak free makes sense IMO.

wJmywLp.png

j7RoJAR.png

Death knights with 9d10 hit dice, +5 unholy sword, d8+8 damage, 75% MR + spell turning, the monsters in that city are so ludicrous powerful that when you enter this city, you are probably so strong that on Mystara, you could start the quest to ascend into a Immortal. The module himself doesn't expect that PC's would win.

1nEGA0B.png

See? PC's aren't expected to win against the Liches. Even with a party at lv 40+, I don't know how to defeat that city. In that module, is almost impossible to defeat Orcus without the help of other peopĺe in Abyss that wanna to overthrow him. Even if you port the module to 5e, where liches are a cake walk, you don't go in a mindless rampage in that city.

Maybe he is bad on his own game, IDK. I defeated intellect devourers as a lv 1 warlock. While on NWN1, fight a single one of then on chapter 1 at lv 8 was pretty hard, since he kept entering different bodies and I almost ran out of spells.

What spellcasters have a problem with is not this "hp bloat", but surface effects, because just about everything will make you roll for concentration.

BOTH are awful. Surface effects and hp bloat are means that Swen used to make casters suffer. Swen hates casters more than Sawyer. BTW, Sawyer is amazing at making firearms on his games. Firearms are great on FNV and even pillars. But magic in his games are trash. Swen in other hands seems to be the greatest hater of everything that isn't melee.
That would be because intellect devourers have DR vs non-magic weapons in NWN plus they have resistance vs non-blunt weapons. As a warlock, you by-pass all of that, against which they have a crap hp. On top of that, the NWN1 Intellect Devourer automatically heals to full when it gets to a new body. The trick is to kill the other bodies before the ID gets to them, but it seems to me that you didn't do that and made the worst possible fight for yourself.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

And this is your gem of an epic adventure? :hahano:
I guess this module is intended for charisma-based casters and pre-school children.

A hundred liches conspire against the ruler of the Abyss, who is oblivious to their plans.
A hundred liches kidnap adventurers to give them magical shit and force them to do what a hundred liches with wishes and time-stops can not.
A hundered of fucking liches is a hundred times more EPIC!! then a hundred of goblins.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
This is what progress looks like:

Devs, work on shit like this. Suits, hire devs that are good at shit like this.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A hundred liches conspire against the ruler of the Abyss, who is oblivious to their plans.

In Abyss, nobody is loyal to nobody. Orcus uses then to do magical research and stuff like that. Orcus is the demoniac prince of Undeath, he CAN bind this liches to serve him and the liches wanna to break free and only obey Orcus for convenience. What part of CHAOTIC EVIL, you din't understood? Do you think that Abyss is Hell, with a strict hierarchy and the devil princes with absolute authority over his subordinates?

PS : There are no CHA based casters on 2e. There was some attempts to create "innate casters", but they was INT based. Warlock and Witches was kits of the normal magic user and INT based.

A hundred liches kidnap adventurers

You again assume that all adventurers are the same. AS if a lv 36 adventurer wanting to adventure to do the challenges and to ascend and become a immortal in Mystara, Karsus searching ingredients for his Karsus Avatar and a lv 0 peasant which is adventuring only cuz he is in desperate need of money, all the same. But of course, Liches wanting to use powerful mortals who invaded one of the deepest layers of the abyss is somehow "hur dur kidnaping adventurers".

-------------

But honestly, I give up. Every adventure should be about kobold slaying in sword coast, PC's should only be able to play as fighter and pick manlet races. We should rename Dungeons & Dragons to Manlets & Kobolds!!!

Liches working together? Immersion breaking.

Liches FORCED to work together by the demon prince of undeath?

One of the worst things that can happen when attempting to reach lichdoom, is to lose your phylactery to Orcus

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
But honestly, I give up. Every adventure should be about kobold slaying in sword coast, PC's should only be able to play as fighter and pick manlet races. We should rename Dungeons & Dragons to Manlets & Kobolds!!!
Nah, we should remove "dungeons" from "dungeons & dragons" and just call it... DRAGON BALL! Because shit you are posting is right from japanese shonen mango.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Nah, we should remove "dungeons" from "dungeons & dragons" and just call it... DRAGON BALL! Because shit you are posting is right from japanese shonen mango.

Yep. Because there are a lot of guys like Elminster, Karsus, and Orcus on mainstream shonen manga, like, like errr can you give an example?

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
[What part of CHAOTIC EVIL, you din't understood?
With your understanding of what is Chaotic Evil, explain my why it is not "immersion breaking" to have a conspiracy of liches without a single traitor,
who would seek to improve his personal standing by reporting to Orcus.

PS : There are no CHA based casters on 2e.
Sigh, I should have known that "subtle" hints are lost on you...
Sorcerers are charisma based casters.
What I meant is that the module is intended for retards like you.

Every adventure should be about kobold slaying in sword coast
There should be different adventurers.
Simple and complex. Low and high level.
But you could not give a single example of an epic story that is not a complete bulshit where legendary scale figures not act with the same scale of thought as kobolds.
And if that is the scope of your imagination, than yes, you better stick to more simple themes.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Yep. Because there are a lot of guys like Elminster, Karsus, and Orcus on mainstream shonen manga, like, like errr can you give an example?
Every first isekai shit with names like "i reincarnated in another world with max level god powers and harem of succubuses"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bro I recall you mention not having read Robert E Howard's Conan stories. I would urge you to rectify that posthaste. There are interesting and intense enough situations brought about by people being people that we need not look to gods and demons to sate our need for adventure.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
to have a conspiracy of liches without a single traitor,

Yep. I will betray and provoke the anger of Orcus he will not destroy every Lich philactery in rage, Orcus is a very nice guy, he will not destroy all phylacteries in rage or kill the messenger. He is a very nice guy and I an pretty sure that he will promote me, like a Devil would do. He is a devil, not a demon right? And after that he will give freedom to me, not more work, right?

What I meant is that the module is intended for retards like you.

Yep. Enjoying high level content = being retarded.

I never said that Throne of the Bloodstone is a masterpiece on writing. Only that is a very hard high level adventure. But of couse, every module needs to be a masterpiece in writing with details on everything.

legendary scale figures not act with the same scale of thought as kobolds.

If Lord Nasher is a powerful hero in Neverwinter, he should be a powerful hero in the deepest layer of the Abyss. Right?

Every first isekai shit with names like "i reincarnated in another world with max level god powers and harem of succubuses"

Name the Isekais where it happens. The best ones like Drifters, KonoSuba, etc doesn't have it. And the slime isekai where the MC is powerful, the MC is still weaker than a lot of things and the anime focus on civilization building.

Bro I recall you mention not having read Robert E Howard's Conan stories. I would urge you to rectify that posthaste. There are interesting and intense enough situations brought about by people being people that we need not look to gods and demons to sate our need for adventure.

Yep. But my point is that high level adventures needs to be otherworldly. Of course, Conan is a amazingly written low magical setting. Probably the best.

I like how Crom is. Every God in Conan wanna to be worshiped but Crom see it as a symbol of weakness and hates it. Pray for Crom in the best case is pointless and in the worst case, can evoke his rage.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Name the Isekais where it happens. The best ones like Drifters, KonoSuba, etc doesn't have it. And the slime isekai where the MC is powerful, the MC is weaker than a lot of things and the anime focus on civilization building.
Just open any new season preview, look for "isekai" and you are set.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom