Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - parodic fantasy tactical RPG - now with Back to the Futon DLC

Antigoon

Augur
You are really giving up too easily. Take a break, come back to it tomorrow and beat it. It's far from impossible

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Game is a good cure for reloaditis if you let it be. Totally normal to have half the team knocked out then come back to win the fight.

Desiderius

Patron
Elf gets a good ranged heal and Ranger can usually get there for the touch, plus you can use potions. Pay attention to the turn order at the top and bring back characters whose turn is about to come up so they don’t miss an action.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also: that fight is very hard, probably the hardest fight of the game for me. Though there are probably strategies to kill the boss quicker which makes it easier. I couldn't figure out a way so I killed him last and he's really the only real beast in the fight

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Reached floor 4 on my new nightmare playthrough and... I'm not feeling any difference compared to epic? I thought the odds would be heavily tilted based on the description but it feels very similar to my epic run. The fights have in general been much cleaner (but that's more due to better experience with the mechanics and metaknowledge rather than difficulty).

Gregz

Arcane
How the fuck can you guys win the second Wheel of Fortune fight??? I've read all the tips about it in the thread already, but that doesn't help much. With the previous tips I've improved my tactics enough that I was able to beat every other fight on Epic, but this seems soooo over the top. I'm probably on my 6th retry, spent most of the whole day on this already... No matter what I try, the heavily overpowered enemies just keep decimating me. Then if half the party is already unconscious, it's a lost cause.

Why do you play on Epic difficulty when you're a self-admitted novice?

Setting your party up for success requires a lot of knowledge about gear upgrades, consumables, party composition, choosing the right stats & abilities, etc. If you're new to cRPGs there are many subtle factors your guide(s) may not be highlighting for you.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why do you play on Epic difficulty when you're a self-admitted novice?

Setting your party up for success requires a lot of knowledge about gear upgrades, consumables, party composition, choosing the right stats & abilities, etc. If you're new to cRPGs there are many subtle factors your guide(s) may not be highlighting for you.

As I said in my first post, I'm not new to cRPGs at all, I just haven't played too many TB games lately, so a bit out of practice. You gotta admit the game has quite challenging combat compared to Banner Saga, Fallout, Betrayal at Krondor, etc.

The reason is that Normal felt just a bit too easy, choices did not really matter, I just won all the fights without being too careful anyway. Like gurugeorge said, that "skin of the teeth victory" feeling is what I love in Epic mode... EXCEPT that apparently I'm not that good for the hardest fights on Epic (yet).

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Another thing; make sure your thief has Bomberman, it makes ice bombs AoE which is an absolute gamechanger.

Shit, I have it but haven't realised that! I just thought the bomb attacks will have increased damage.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fuck, the fights in the library with the liches were EPIC! I love this game, I really had to consider my every move carefully and it paid off in the end. The encounter design is just excellent so far and quite varied, there's some novelty being introduced in most fights, it never gets boring or stale.

Desiderius

Patron
Couple things figuring out:

You can use alcohol (and other items) on other characters, and Courage effects turn order immediately.

The adjacency bonuses are good early, especially for Impact, then you can respec later when you get things like Dwarf toss and Leap.

If you crank up CHR exclusively and use Elf adjacency to max CHR on Minstrel you can use (high) Support for Precision (don’t need INT) and will get huge Impact on melee attax. Stand next to Ogre for +4 Protection. Minstrel buff on Ogre goes well with Ogre Taunt which lowers resists for Minstrel AoE.

Priestess heal cooldown starts at 3 and goes to 2 on upgrade (Wiz/Elf is always 4). This is a major game changer if you play Priestess.

Tin Can on Dorf is probably a trap. Too much overlap with Defensive Stance which has Passives (including AoE Protection). Take Whirlwind instead to go with Dwarf toss or just as follow up to first turn run out + Stance.

Wiz +2 range is huge. Combine with +5 Courage from Ogre adjacency to open with AoE stun. Likewise Ranger wants D Tactics and Barb Precision/Damage Shout first round.

Holding Barb back next to Wiz + Ranged Passive is solid until other opportunities open up. Still building up to Leap though so don’t lean too hard on ranged.

Ranger gets Stun vs full health passive on regular attack so double damage vs full health melee ability (2 cooldown means could be build around) is probably unnecessary. Also gets Shield Bash Stun and Solid Heal.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tin Can on Dorf is probably a trap. Too much overlap with Defensive Stance which has Passives (including AoE Protection). Take Whirlwind instead to go with Dwarf toss or just as follow up to first turn run out + Stance.

Heh. I think the passives are a trap because you shouldn't do defensive stance but use Tin Can instead :P

On basically everything else I agree

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I basically never use defensive stance, often find a more aggressive approach to work the best :M

For those of you who are stuck due to crashes in chapter 4 and 9, a fix is soon to be released !
Artefacts_Eric [developer] said:
Hi everyone,
The crashs in the fights of Zangdar's library (Chapter 9) and the orktobearfest (Chapter 4) were introduced with the patch 1.2.
We fixed the issu and a patch will be published soon.

Desiderius

Patron
Defensive Stance => Whirlwind IS the more aggressive approach. I was opening with Tin Can which is fine but was underwhelmed with the second round options.

thesecret1

Arcane
Game is a good cure for reloaditis if you let it be. Totally normal to have half the team knocked out then come back to win the fight.
This was actually how I beat the dreaded Wheel of Fortune fight in the end... I kept trying different strategies, beelining to the boss, splitting the party into diversion and assault groups, etc. In the end, the solution was to simply take it slow and methodical, eating all the damage they toss at me while playing the heal game. When all the schmucks were downed and only the bosses remained, it was easy to finish them off.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Another important thing to note, you should turn off "automatically finish turns" in the preferences. That way there's a possibilty to use the Randomia stuff at the end of any turn after you used up your two action points.

Desiderius

Patron
Another important thing to note, you should turn off "automatically finish turns" in the preferences. That way there's a possibilty to use the Randomia stuff at the end of any turn after you used up your two action points.

Naice. Was trying to figure that out.

Desiderius

Patron
You can rez but they can't, at least not in the part of the game that's hardest. That's how you grind it out.

Last edited:

Brickfrog

Learned
Kind of a surprising amount of time between the the dlcs release but I guess there's a lot of content packed in if the tin is to be believed. 11 new bosses makes it sound more like a true add-on than some dlc

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom