Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm a bit conflicted about saying that Rance had mellowed out, it's more that they try avoid placing him in situations where he'd look like an absolute villain.
I haven't played a lot of the old games but my two cents: I don't think rance in 01 remake or 02 is that different from rance in vi or sengoku. The main difference is that vi and sengoku have Horribly Evil villains that make most other series and settings antagonists look like misguided do gooders, while still being portrayed uncartoonishly enough that it's not really distant in the way such things usually are. And Rance does feel like a definite step up and an acceptable evil if it means stopping them slightly sooner.

I do think rance mellows quite a bit in quest though, after he gets cursed(altho he keeps being really mean to atego for no reason). I guess for once being properly punished for his misdeeds made the lesson stick?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I mean...

2rjxNnO.png

Nirvash

Liturgist
Rance almost never had any actual character development, dude was made as a average anti-hero funny asshole rapist for a jrpg hentai parody.
All his development is being a massive tsundere for sill, going insane for losing her... and being a good daddy for reset.
So... caring about family.

But dude challenge every game literal evil gods and still his major fear is taking it in the ass, lol.

In the end the rance series is all about the hentai part giving the setting/story some "adult" funny/drama freedom.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There is a quite ambitious back story out there, but in a way Rance exists on a separate plane from all of it. There are a ton of tragic things happening, but they happen in the background. Rance filters most of it out, he thinks with his dick like a hero of justice should. Sometimes the drama of the "real universe" interferes with Rance's dicking, but that is mostly dealt with swiftly.

Rance is not self-aware, he forgets quickly and chases his passions. Meanwhile his harem is kind of protected by this bubble, but they are still aware of the things that happen outside. But like RQM says, Rance unconsciously surrounds himself with people who are strong enough to deal with all the people who are pissed off by Rance, and inversely, Rance's harem is strong enough to protect them from their own pursuers. For the small price of being raped, people who should've otherwise perished a long time ago, can continue living.

I mean, Rance himself is identified as the greatest "balance breaker" in their universe, not just due to his lack of level cap, but due to the way he affects other people.

Fascinating stuff really.

And at the same time, really low-brow humor. But how else could you laugh at a guy killing himself while you cuck him in front of the love of his life.

Nirvash

Liturgist
When you do a story for decades, no shit you add details and expand the scope. (and rewrite/retcon stuff)

The thing is... why is rance a balance breaker? Is just a system "random" bug?
No, i get to the point, who the fuck are the rance parents?

So we get this autistic orphan... turned adventurer cuz he get picked up by one and then turned hornydog cuz "reasons"...
I really expected for rance to be some master plan by one the gods (maybe the devil one), or maybe a "chosen one" by some ancient order/people.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The thing is... why is rance a balance breaker? Is just a system "random" bug?
Balance breakers seem rather common, all things considered. And on a storytelling note, there's no way rance would have gotten where he is without dying if not for his absurdly high level cap and ability to (temporarily?) increase it for others.

thesecret1

Arcane
there's no way rance would have gotten where he is without dying if not for his absurdly high level cap and ability to (temporarily?) increase it for others.
Nah, he owes most of his success to his personality and the people he surrounds himself with. His level is of secondary importance. After all, it gets reset at the start of every game

The high level cap rarely comes into play. Apart from X I can´t think of many games where his level goes beoyn 60-70, which is atainable for ¨normal¨ elite adventurers.

lightbane

Arcane
He does have no level cap, which would theoretically make him the strongest of the world and beyond in special circumstances. That's why Rance is a balance breaker.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
The high level cap rarely comes into play. Apart from X I can´t think of many games where his level goes beoyn 60-70, which is atainable for ¨normal¨ elite adventurers.
I mean yes, buuut I'm told it's essential to him winning in 03, which is what really promotes him from "random adventurer" to "able to call on the might of nations". Can't confirm since I haven't played it though. And well, imagine playing rance VI and not being able to boost the levels of your party members, you'd have a real hard time getting anywhere. Or just RQM and characters not getting upped level caps when you H them (admittedly you'd just need to grind more talent items though).
He does have no level cap, which would theoretically make him the strongest of the world and beyond in special circumstances. That's why Rance is a balance breaker.
I think it's more that he can impart this to others. One person with no level cap is a manageable problem (since a single level 60+ seems to be able to easily take out hundreds of regular soldiers), but hundreds, thousands? That's a good recipe to conquer the entire demon realm and cause a reset.

Budah9

Literate
Yo im trying to translate 10 in vnr, anyone know the specific hook, mine always looks like this: message window01- sill you're gay!,
I wanna fix this!

Budah9

Literate
also you guys know how easy it is to translate with deepL, very very useful translator. You could use for rance 3 and 9

Budah9

Literate
also you guys know how easy it is to translate with deepL, very very useful translator. You could use for rance 3 and 9
also i translated some of 9 to its normal ending, about 30,000 lines of dialog, I haven't translated non story based h scenes and for some reason fucked up and deleted the first chapter's trans, but if any wants to play, ill retranslate chapter 1, just message me (also some scenes i didn't translate because either those scenes require a new game plus(maybe?) or I didnt have enough affection, probably scenes with pig, sen, and tildy, also I was alil bit lazy in the begining 4 chapters so some translations of Helman, Leasus, etc. might be Hermann or Leezus or Reesus, i was more aware of this by the middle and so on, so play at your own risk if you're interested.

Thorakitai

Learned
Does the series ever explain why Rance is such a divine horndog?

His view about sexuality, rape and interactions with the world can be explained by his backstory but his libido is quite inhuman.

Makes you wonder if some of his kids will inherit that aspect of his character once they reach puberty as well.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Yo im trying to translate 10 in vnr, anyone know the specific hook, mine always looks like this: message window01- sill you're gay!,
I wanna fix this!
I managed to configure 10 to work in vnr, but not by pasting any hook (that just throws errors). I can maybe post instructions later if you still need.

Also re deepl: I am impressed, took the first 10ish lines from rance 10 (since I have them in a text document for different reasons)

Translated text:
Land-- [The continent]
Siberian region, northern Hermannian country-- [Helman]
Inside a huge battleship
Sheil spread his notebook on a tangerine box. [Sill]

Ten days have already passed since we entered the giant battleship.
The inside of the battleship is a very strange site.
The walls are made of materials that you don't see outside, and there are machines that you don't know what they are used for.
Moreover, it is very big and there is no end in sight.
We originally came here to look for the saint's child monster, Serachlorus, but at this rate we'll never know when we'll find him. ...... [holy gal monster???]
But instead, I've made friends with three of the Horus people who live in these ruins.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Original text:
陸――
ヘルマン国北部、シベリア地方――
巨大戦艦内部――
シィルはミカン箱の上にノートを広げた。

私達が巨大戦艦に入っては や十日が過ぎました。
戦艦の中はとっても不思議な遺跡です。
外では見ないような材質の壁に何に使うか分からない機械ばかり。
その上、中はとっても広く、まだまだ果ては見えません。
元々は聖女の子モンスターである、セラクロラス様を探しに来たのですが、この調子ではいつ見つかるか……
あっ、でもその代わり、この遺跡に暮らす種族である、ホルスの方、三人とお友達になりました。
Obviously it's getting proper names and concepts wrong but the translation is pretty natural overall and seems mostly correct to my limited japanese knowledge.

EDIT: how to get vnr to work.
Start the game and attach vnr to it. In the little menu that appears on the side select menu->text settings. Start playing the game, and a bunch of text threads will appear in the window. Pick the one that looks like the dialogue and mark it as such (for me it contains the text:
MessageWindow02大陸――
MessageWindow02ヘルマン国北部、シベリア地方――

I am not good at vnr though, so that's about the extent of my knowledge. No idea how you'd hook it up to something useful like deepL.

Last edited:

Budah9

Literate
I wanna fix this!
I managed to configure 10 to work in vnr, but not by pasting any hook (that just throws errors). I can maybe post instructions later if you still need.

Also re deepl: I am impressed, took the first 10ish lines from rance 10 (since I have them in a text document for different reasons)

Translated text:
Land-- [The continent]
Siberian region, northern Hermannian country-- [Helman]
Inside a huge battleship
Sheil spread his notebook on a tangerine box. [Sill]

Ten days have already passed since we entered the giant battleship.
The inside of the battleship is a very strange site.
The walls are made of materials that you don't see outside, and there are machines that you don't know what they are used for.
Moreover, it is very big and there is no end in sight.
We originally came here to look for the saint's child monster, Serachlorus, but at this rate we'll never know when we'll find him. ...... [holy gal monster???]
But instead, I've made friends with three of the Horus people who live in these ruins.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Original text:
陸――
ヘルマン国北部、シベリア地方――
巨大戦艦内部――
シィルはミカン箱の上にノートを広げた。

私達が巨大戦艦に入っては や十日が過ぎました。
戦艦の中はとっても不思議な遺跡です。
外では見ないような材質の壁に何に使うか分からない機械ばかり。
その上、中はとっても広く、まだまだ果ては見えません。
元々は聖女の子モンスターである、セラクロラス様を探しに来たのですが、この調子ではいつ見つかるか……
あっ、でもその代わり、この遺跡に暮らす種族である、ホルスの方、三人とお友達になりました。
Obviously it's getting proper names and concepts wrong but the translation is pretty natural overall and seems mostly correct to my limited japanese knowledge.

EDIT: how to get vnr to work.
Start the game and attach vnr to it. In the little menu that appears on the side select menu->text settings. Start playing the game, and a bunch of text threads will appear in the window. Pick the one that looks like the dialogue and mark it as such (for me it contains the text:
MessageWindow02大陸――
MessageWindow02ヘルマン国北部、シベリア地方――

I am not good at vnr though, so that's about the extent of my knowledge. No idea how you'd hook it up to something useful like deepL.

Well I just set text to clip board
then paste it into deep L
and edit deep L's translation
copy and paste that into subtitle maker (really the world's greatest translator service)
also toggle subtitles by other users, I've already translated some of 10's dialog

Last edited:

Budah9

Literate
I've already translated some of 10's dialog
Yeah, I can see someone has been adding proper translations. Nice.

VNR is kind of a piece of shit though, freezes a lot.
turn off some things like in the options, i only have, game text, clipboard, community subtitle, and shadow box, also turn off some useless things in menu like text to speech or vnr built in hooker. Also, I have r10 split windowed with deepL so I don't know if that also makes it lag less, with vnr

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
MangaGamer said:
Rance IX – The Helmanian Revolution is now 100% translated and 62% edited!
Rance X – Showdown is now 34% translated and 3% edited!

Some actual progress on Rance X? Am I dreaming? Or are they contractually obligated to make glacial progress or lose the publishing rights?

KingDoofus

Scholar
Is that actual progress? What were the percentages in the last update? If its actually changed that means they've found a new translator. The only person I can imagine it would be is Maria, but if so she's keeping it under wraps.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Is that actual progress? What were the percentages in the last update? If its actually changed that means they've found a new translator. The only person I can imagine it would be is Maria, but if so she's keeping it under wraps.
So, in january IX was at 0% edit and Rance X was at 28% translated. So yeah, some kind of progress. Iirc last time I checked (a month ago? perhaps a bit more) helman was at like 30% edit.

So yeah, seems they've hired someone to work on X

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom