Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so for someone who like the base game, how is the DLC does it add anything meaningful to the game like finally actual content and more motivation to explore the world, while keeping all the fun element such as progression and good loot?

Played about 15 hours of this co-op with a buddy so far and it's quite a bit more fun than I was expecting heading into it. Jank's there, and there's a lot of rough edges and lack of polish, but the bit of survival shit makes the adventuring all the more fun. It sorta reminds me of old vanilla EQ1 days where you wanna make sure you have some good light since the night is dark as fuck, well stocked on food and water, etc. Means there's a fair degree of busywork but making a trip to a town to stock up and prepare is cool. Buddy's going for some clobbering shield build and I went wizard which means I ended up being a huge fucking drain on our money but it's starting to pay off since magic absolutely fucking shits on some enemies that he's almost completely worthless against, so we cover our bases well. And amazingly enough while I normally HATE crafting in RPGs the crafting in Outward doesn't bother me much. Probably because there's still a decent amount of actual loot to be found, and most items don't take many items to craft. So a lot of it is fairly simple and quick. The story's basically a non-entity and neither of us are paying a lick of attention to it, but we largely cleared out the first area and we've explored a fair few hours in the forest area and it's been a good time.

If for whatever reason someone hasn't given the game a shot yet, gets a seal of approval from me. Might be a bit different solo (I gather the enemies are stronger in co-op, or do more damage, so maybe you have a little more wiggle room as a solo character) but it's a pretty appealing game. Also kinda like how there's no XP and all the training is reliant on money, really makes you want every scrap of cash. Downside is actually trying to find good places to hit for money.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Played about 15 hours of this co-op with a buddy so far and it's quite a bit more fun than I was expecting heading into it. Jank's there, and there's a lot of rough edges and lack of polish, but the bit of survival shit makes the adventuring all the more fun. It sorta reminds me of old vanilla EQ1 days where you wanna make sure you have some good light since the night is dark as fuck, well stocked on food and water, etc. Means there's a fair degree of busywork but making a trip to a town to stock up and prepare is cool. Buddy's going for some clobbering shield build and I went wizard which means I ended up being a huge fucking drain on our money but it's starting to pay off since magic absolutely fucking shits on some enemies that he's almost completely worthless against, so we cover our bases well. And amazingly enough while I normally HATE crafting in RPGs the crafting in Outward doesn't bother me much. Probably because there's still a decent amount of actual loot to be found, and most items don't take many items to craft. So a lot of it is fairly simple and quick. The story's basically a non-entity and neither of us are paying a lick of attention to it, but we largely cleared out the first area and we've explored a fair few hours in the forest area and it's been a good time.

If for whatever reason someone hasn't given the game a shot yet, gets a seal of approval from me. Might be a bit different solo (I gather the enemies are stronger in co-op, or do more damage, so maybe you have a little more wiggle room as a solo character) but it's a pretty appealing game. Also kinda like how there's no XP and all the training is reliant on money, really makes you want every scrap of cash. Downside is actually trying to find good places to hit for money.
do you have the DLC? tell me about them when you play the DLC

I've got Soroboreans and my buddy's got both, still not sure if I'll be able to play the newest one since he's hosting or not. Best guess is I won't be able to, but I'll type up some garbage about Soroboreans whenever we get to it at least. Might be able to jump through some hoops to access it. I'd highly doubt the DLC really adds much in terms of story though, pretty sure each one just adds a whole new area, questline, few new skills and a pile of new enemies and loot. It's actually one bit I talked over with my buddy as we were playing, really having a great time prepping and going off and exploring and finding little unmarked dungeons and shit but it would be nice if there was some suitably weird lore to go with everything. Seeing a big magic mountain with swirly spikes and purple grass is cool, then you get inside and eventually work your way past some enemies and find some generic-ass wizards guarding the leyline. The gameplay-driven exploration of reaching that point is nice but some more out-there stuff would spice things up tremendously. Also partially on us for not bothering to read most of what the NPCs say, but when we do read what they say it's almost never worth it other than looking for directions/quests/etc.

Murk

Arcane
I found the Holy Mission quests not bad in terms of the lore. At least it's an un-common take on how things are happening and I liked that you can outright commune with a god (albeit an atypical one) without the usual HEAR ME CHOSEN ONE AND KNOW THE TRUTH, IN THE BEGINNING AS CHAOS AND....

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Sorobeans is more of the same but with a big mega dungeons and a bit more difficult. Really great overall. Three brothers is degenerate land with stupid grinding repetitive mechanics and annoying building that requires grinding and crap that's only there to consume your time. I've never gone from one dlc that was amazing to the next that I absolutely hated and only finished because the series as a whole was really good and I felt that I should, I still skipped a bunch of side content. Three brothers actually killed any motivation I had to make another playthrough, even in the other paths that have nothing to do with it

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Played this for the first time today. Impressions without any prior knowledge:
  • This open world sandbox experience with focus on exploration is just my cup of tea.
  • Initially reminded me of Two Worlds :argh:, but this seems like a much more enjoyable game.
  • Seems hardcore in a good way so far. No player pin on map, no quest pointers, no dungeon maps, need to eat/drink/sleep.
  • Combat seems clunky, but overall better than in Piranha Bytes games. Many interesting weapon types & combos.
  • The music is mediocre and very repetitive, at least in the first area. I already disabled it. Kai Rosenkrantz has spoiled me rotten.
  • Everything I equip is represented on my character model -- even arrows, lanterns, etc. Impressive feature.
  • The named NPCs have no daily routines -- they just stand rooted to their spot, day and night. :|
  • Traveling can be very repetitive, there's been a lot of downtime running back and forth to the main settlement. Wish there were more traders.
  • The dialogue seems very generic.
Seems like a 7/10 game so far. I'll keep playing, and hope it grows more on me. Looking forward to meeting more factions, I'm curious what the faction system is like.

Last edited:
Oh. Forgot about this, finished all the Outward stuff a while back.

Soroboreans: Kinda cool new zone but the corruption mechanic is pretty worthless. Has some neat moments but navigating the connected dungeons ended up being the biggest pain in the ass of the DLC, in large part because they all use basically the same tileset so they blur together easily in your mind. Overall pretty alright.

Three Brothers: Meh. Cool-looking zone but the town building is so lame my buddy and I ended up ignoring it and just explored shit. Thus we also missed out on the story/quests for it, but fuck crawling around the map to build up the town. If the town shit was in the game from the start it'd be one thing, but having it show up in the final DLC when you're wrapping everything up wasn't what we wanted at all. Still some neat exploring to be had but the busywork was too offputting.

End result: The DLC's not very necessary, Outward peters out during the main campaign as it is. With no regular leveling you'll most likely fill out all the skills you want before you even finish the base game and then you're just left with loot as the only form of character advancement. And loot isn't a terribly strong point for Outward since while high end shit's better than newbie garbage it's not so massively better as to feel game-changing. Even feeling more positive about Soroboreans we didn't really gain much out of it, I don't think my buddy got any loot out of it and I only got a new wizard getup after we krumped the final boss. Co-op at least it was a few more evenings playing with my buddy and virtual sightseeing, but for solo play I'd probably say just stick to the base game unless you're a big Outward fiend and really want more.

Pathologic-wizard gear had better stats but was pretty fucking stupid looking.
151564F9DC151B52439BB4E1C33D63C1CBE39696
But Outward does have a pointy wizard hat so I'm glad of that. Wore that fucker for probably dozens of hours before it was replaced by a Gelt mask and later the Pathologic mask.
D5ECF20D16C6CA5EB60A853803823564046B6DE5

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Everything seems to respawn. Just passed through a dungeon I cleared yesterday -- now it's completely reset, even the loot is back (in the exact same spots). Definitely not a fan of this MMO-approach, ruins my sense of completion.

Coupled with how tiresome it is to keep running back & forth along the same paths so many times, I'm losing motivation to keep playing. Starting to feel more like a 5/10 game now.

:killit:

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Alright so I stubbornly kept playing despite the shameful respawn system. I guess it's not so bad -- I very rarely have a reason to revisit dungeons anyway. Out of mind, out of sight.

Then the seasons changed! It started snowing, and the entire landscape changed, with snow everywhere. And a weather survivalist system kicked in, eventually giving me a cold! Very beautiful -- now it feels like a more respectable 6.5/10 kind of game.

The steep difficulty curve is also enjoyable. Just started exploring the 2nd map -- I'm hoping for a central hub and less lengthy backtracking.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Alright so I stubbornly kept playing despite the shameful respawn system. I guess it's not so bad -- I very rarely have a reason to revisit dungeons anyway. Out of mind, out of sight.

Then the seasons changed! It started snowing, and the entire landscape changed, with snow everywhere. And a weather survivalist system kicked in, eventually giving me a cold! Very beautiful -- now it feels like a more respectable 6.5/10 kind of game.

The steep difficulty curve is also enjoyable. Just started exploring the 2nd map -- I'm hoping for a central hub and less lengthy backtracking.
Get ready to walk a lot. The forest/Berg area is central but the backtracking is prevalent the entire game.

After you beat one of the campaigns there are a bunch of hidden bosses that you will have to google in order to find, by the way. If you enjoy the game, you probably don't want to miss out on them

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Unfortunately, none of the cities are centrally-located, although the other three cities are all more irritating in this regard than Berg in Enmerkar Forest. The Chersonese (with snow) is my favorite zone, though.

3ln7rdV.jpg

Murk

Arcane
It's confusing why they didn't make the Soroborean caravaneers an in-game quick travel system; even if it was gated off by a quest (faction-locked would be too much). You can sort of use it if you kill time while at Harmattan (they change where they go by day I believe) but that's hardly ideal.

Honestly if you're at the point of being self-sufficient and fully established (AKA you're making a ton of money and survival is no longer an issue at all) you may as well slap open console commands and warp if you're too frustrated to run/walk.

Nearly all of my characters ended up being speed focused and taking skills for higher speed movement and stamina efficiency (also having food for it) so it was less painful, but it's definitely a weak point.

It'd be one thing if the survival aspect stayed brutal all throughout but it's not too hard to get to the point where you have tons of food, teas, rations, gear, etc. Not to mention multiple spells to counteract environmental detriments. It's good, just doesn't last all throughout the play through.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

It's a lot more fun when you have to like lay 100 traps to kill a wendigo instead of destroying them with your star sword or something.

mkultra

Augur
Terrible game overall, refunded it very quickly. Can't even fall down from heights lol, such handholding in open world games is just ridiculous.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Enderal is sold as seperate game on steam , for requiem should i buy 32 bit or 64 bit skyrim? Thank you.
Don't think 64bit Requiem is officially out. Ports exist though.

Yeah I looked into that last year. At that point, I was directed to LoversLab (a website for sex mods). Apparently they were the only ones with a functional Requiem port. :?

Requiem v4.0.2 for SSE

I never tested it, so can't vouch for it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Enderal is sold as seperate game on steam , for requiem should i buy 32 bit or 64 bit skyrim? Thank you.
Don't think 64bit Requiem is officially out. Ports exist though.

Yeah I looked into that last year. At that point, I was directed to LoversLab (a website for sex mods). Apparently they were the only ones with a functional Requiem port. :?

Requiem v4.0.2 for SSE

I never tested it, so can't vouch for it.
I'll tell you this. It's functional.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Should i buy this with all dlc instead of Skyrim for Requiem?
For requiem should i buy 64bit skyrim or 32bit skyrim?
But the base game and sorobeans. Avoid three brothers. They made three brothers too gimicky and grindy. I would also recommended every one play this local co op with a friend if you can. It treats the second player like a second class citizen but other than that it makes it funner

Man, I just cannot really get into this game. Some of the premises seem very nice, but the absolutely retarded combat system just kills my enjoyment.

1. What is up with with horrible animations? I don't mean aesthetically, I mean functionally. After you swing a weapon, it takes forever to bring it back up to block, shields too in some cases. Considering most enemies often attack non-stop, any time you attempt to attack them, they get a hit in, because your attack doesn't stop them either. Also, half the time after blocking, your weapon doesn't attack when you click it, unless you delay yourself.

2. The target lock doesn't work at all with the enemy AI. As soon as you lock in, the other enemy (since they are often in groups) runs around and starts massaging your back with his spear/fangs/whatever. So you gotta lock/unlock constantly like a retard. Would it have been too much to design some kind of an auto locking system?

3. A fucking roll as a basic defensive move? How annoying is this? Nobody rolls in melee combat as a regular thing... So to one up themselves, the other basic move is a kick? They took 2 niche things that might happen rarely, and made the whole combat system revolve around them...

4. Actual skill moves (like Pommel Strike and Counterstrike) which require timing have ridiculously long cooldowns (something like 2 minutes), making them relatively useless in most combats. They also seem to not work according to description.

Anyways, between all this shit and death causing you to respawn half the world away without your stuff, it doesn't seem like a fun game.

P.S. Inb4 some retard goes: "Oh, you are doing it wrong, if you drink these 4 teas and eat this food, and apply this rag to your weapon before the fight, and then attack using this special dagger with the kick ability, then you can defeat anything..."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom