Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Do you guys like Dorn?

Yay or nay?

• Total voters

Citizen

There's no such character in Baldur's Gate series

Piotrovitz

Savant
Adding new NPCs was the only redeeming potential for Beamdog that could help them to justify their 'enhancements', and they pissed it all away.

Haven't touched SoD, but in BG1/BG2 we have:

- LGBT orc with 19 str and +1 sword, that you can recruit like 10 mins after the start and steamroll the rest of the game with him
- American teenage mage with manga portrait, for people who prefer QUIRKY and EDGY modern char over Edwin
- Generic oriental monk, which being low level, is the single most useless NPC in BG1EE
- Pure thief - one of the most useless class in IE games, especially BG2EE
- some easter egg sorcerer, which I never even stumbled upon, so can comment on him

Instead of creating some interesting ones (i.e bard or pure druid that is actually useful, F/M multi etc), they have added bunch of clowns, that are either useless or OPd.

This shit is bordering on fan-created cringy NPCs.

I don't know why am I even writing this, this horse has been flogged since almost a decade now.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Adding new NPCs was the only redeeming potential for Beamdog that could help them to justify their 'enhancements', and they pissed it all away.
Wrong, it's the opposite. In a perfect world, they would just merge all the bugfixing mods into one neat package, look for any remaining bugs and fix those too, add optional convenience features, higher resolutions, maybe even improve the AI a bit, etc. and iron out compability issues without touching anything else. If they only did that, it would be a no-brainer to buy for a low price. It would be an actual decent remaster.

But no, they thought they knew how to do BG better than the actual devs. So they had to fuck up the UI, rebalance a ton of shit, most of which doesn't make sense like mind flayer INT drain working on undead, add cringy fanfic-tier OC, the list goes on, and also introduce new, never seen before bugs along with it. So if I want to play the actual BG and not a poor imitation, I'm still better off with the originals with a lot of bugfix/resolution/QoL mods.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Something that annoys me about Beamdog's companions is how many of them have 14 CON, just under where HP bonuses start. Dorn has 14, same goes for Neera, Rasaad *and* Hexxat. Why do that? Just to annoy me?

Tygrende

Arbiter
Something that annoys me about Beamdog's companions is how many of them have 14 CON, just under where HP bonuses start. Dorn has 14, same goes for Neera, Rasaad *and* Hexxat. Why do that? Just to annoy me?
The lower the HP, the higher the chance they get gibbed and you stop interacting with Beamdog's content. Sounds like a plus to me.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Dorn is the only good character imo. Good voice, fun quests that feel like someones homebrew campaign in a good way, really can't complain. That and the Black Pits. Beamdog should just do their own fuckin IE content and nobody would complain, like why tf not it can't be expensive.

Palomides

Augur
What the hell does Beamdog do anymore, now that they've exhausted possibilities for so-called 'enhancements'?

Lurker47

Savant
Noticing now that he's the only companion I have had (and the only Beamdog companion I have had, of course) that literally stopped me in my tracks to talk about his past despite supposedly being cagey about it. Some other stuff bothered me too. Either I'm legitimately noting something new or I'm incredibly easily influenced. Either of those is equally likely. :prosper:

kangaxx

Arbiter
I'd say he's "eh". I don't like any of the other Beamdog additions, but I sometimes use Dorn as a frontman for evil parties.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom