Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Jason Liang

Arcane
kqbh16cdvrq61.png

Lot of potential to be solid in std as a young pyro wannabe when stomp rotate.
3 mana is a lot, but the pest token is generaly much better than ypyro ones
The ward is nice since, like young pyro, she has a big target on her back. Lovely art too.

I play a similar creature in pirates - Ruin Raider. Raider draws cards, that's probably better than making 1/1 tokens, like Dark Confidant is still probably better than young pyro. So I think she has to have some combo power with the tokens to make her worth it.

John Keel

Savant
Very differents cards imo, in theory you have garanteed value with young peezy/witch

Jason Liang

Arcane
Very differents cards imo, in theory you have garanteed value with young peezy/witch
Ruin Raider draws during the end phase of the turn you cast him so assuming you can attack that turn and your opponent doesn't have instant removal, you have the guaranteed card draw and only basically half a turn slower than Dark Confidant.
I think Ruin Raider and the witch are comparable in terms of function, casting cost, body and survivability.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Daemogoth-Titan-STX-265.jpg

That's pretty big. But not being a Giant is flavor fail.

This would work well for my retard deck building strategy.

I've seen a few other people copy it before. Ie.. I'd play a black, white, blue deck and splash in things like Deathless Knight to deal with opponents discard spells or just to give me a random creature after I healed. (I didn't play a knight deck so flavor wasn't relevant)

Image.ashx

John Keel

Savant
c965cbe3-50e5-41bb-bdb9-e65d97aab716.jpg

Kinda funny with Phyrexian reclamation, using 6 mana and a sac outlet you can softlock an opponent out of non-instant at its drawstep.
In GB it should be pretty easy to achieve

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Overall the set looks like shit from a flavor/art perspective.
Generic Hogwarts ripoff, even the big bad with his Deatheater squad as the conflict of the plane is a direct rip. They even used Liliana as a Snape style dark secret ally teacher.
But instead of using the old English 1900s aesthetic they made it worse by dressing everyone in modern almost sci fi looking generic Young Adult fiction clothes. Silverquill looks like they are from fucking divergent.
This set is everything wrong about Young Adult as a literary genre rolled into one set, and I do not like it one bit.
Even the cool cards Dawkinsfan69 (your new name is impossible to link) used feel alien to the sets atmosphere.

That said from a gameplay perspective the cards look cool. Full of potent answers, which might lead to a reactive format for once, as a breath of fresh air.
There are like 5 pieces of potential mainboard constructed playable 2 mana removal in this set? That is almost excessive. One of them has to make a splash.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Generic Hogwarts ripoff, even the big bad with his Deatheater squad as the conflict of the plane is a direct rip. They even used Liliana as a Snape style dark secret ally teacher.
But instead of using the old English 1900s aesthetic they made it worse by dressing everyone in modern almost sci fi looking generic Young Adult fiction clothes. Silverquill looks like they are from fucking divergent.
This set is everything wrong about Young Adult as a literary genre rolled into one set, and I do not like it one bit.
Even the cool cards Dawkinsfan69 (your new name is impossible to link) used feel alien to the sets atmosphere.

That said from a gameplay perspective the cards look cool. Full of potent answers, which might lead to a reactive format for once, as a breath of fresh air.
There are like 5 pieces of potential mainboard constructed playable 2 mana removal in this set? That is almost excessive. One of them has to make a splash.
It's supposed to be ironic right?

Gyor

Savant
As expected, the cool cards are in Witherbloom.

Lorehold is pretty awesome too. Silverquill is great if you want to build a Brawl deck that can actually use Lurrus as a companion instead of as a Commander.

Quadrix Fractals are interesting.

Prismari has potential for treasure generation.

I also like the colorless instants and Sorceries, the one that allows you to exile a permanent could sure up a weakness, Mono Red's inability to deal with powerful enchantments.

Gyor

Savant

There is nothing Harry Potter about the school at all, it's inspired by real decentralized Universities, bottom up designs, and the MtG multiverse.

There are huge differences between Harry Potter and Strixhaven. Hogwarts is a high school fantasy setting, Strixhaven is a university for adults. Hogwarts picks what house you end up in via sorting hat, and houses have little influence on the magic you learn, they are more social institutions. Strixhaven doesn't make first year students pick their college, but when they do, they can pick for themselves and they can still take courses at other colleges.

Strixhaven is MUCH bigger then Hogwarts, Hogwarts might be the size of one the colleges, and it's much smaller then the Bibloplex.

Strixhaven teaches both magic, but also how to use magic as a tool to study more mundane subjects.

Strixhaven doesn't have the technology of Harry Potter, there are no cars or trains in Arvcious, no motorcycles. The look of Hogwarts is Victorian, but the setting in much more modern then that.

The architecture various another more in Strixhaven then Hogwarts, you have swampy elvish living architecture in Witherbloom, you have midevil on acid for Prismari, Ptolemy Egyptian architecture for Lorehold, Silverquill feels Byzantine or Golden Age of Islam inspired. Only Quadrix feels Modern.

Last edited:
Shitposter
kinda wanted to play with my fun dinos deck so I reinstalled. haven't played since kdh drafts the week after that released..
so I queue unranked with my WRG Dinos deck and:
  • game 1: vs elfball - their turn 4 my turn 3 they swing for lethal I didn't get to play any cards
  • game 2: vs rdw - i'm dead on turn 3, I got to play one sorcery card
  • game 3: vs turbo mill - they get their turbo mill engine on the board by their turn 4 my turn 3, I'm milled out on their next turn. I got to play one dinosaur
  • game 4: vs rdw - same shit as game 2
  • game 5: vs orzhov vito - I don't draw a third land and just lose on turn 5, got to play one card to search for a land and didn't find one
wheew no wonder I uninstalled this game and haven't played constructed in 6+ months fuck this garbage
if I played against any decks like this irl (with the possible exception of the vito deck) I'd flip the table and roundhouse kick my opponent into the next dimension
stupid game stupid playerbase

John Keel

Savant
Reduction of the sideboard to 7 slot in BO1 because of fracking Harry potter's set is killing me and my waifu fae of wishes.

Historic Monoblack control is probably on life support too, goddamn WOTC

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
kinda wanted to play with my fun dinos deck so I reinstalled. haven't played since kdh drafts the week after that released..
so I queue unranked with my WRG Dinos deck and:
  • game 1: vs elfball - their turn 4 my turn 3 they swing for lethal I didn't get to play any cards
  • game 2: vs rdw - i'm dead on turn 3, I got to play one sorcery card
  • game 3: vs turbo mill - they get their turbo mill engine on the board by their turn 4 my turn 3, I'm milled out on their next turn. I got to play one dinosaur
  • game 4: vs rdw - same shit as game 2
  • game 5: vs orzhov vito - I don't draw a third land and just lose on turn 5, got to play one card to search for a land and didn't find one
wheew no wonder I uninstalled this game and haven't played constructed in 6+ months fuck this garbage
if I played against any decks like this irl (with the possible exception of the vito deck) I'd flip the table and roundhouse kick my opponent into the next dimension
stupid game stupid playerbase

The win/day win/week rewards have to go and be replaced by games finished instead. Needing wins for in game cash makes people sweat way too hard in unranked. Ironically I see more casual fun decks in ranked than I do in unranked, but the amount is almost the same.

John Keel

Savant
Unranked play queue does some weird ass deck-value matching shit, if you play a powerful deck with low amount of rares/mythic you're matched vs garbo decks

If WOTC is to be trusted, allegedly ranked is random matching

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
new set cant come soon enough. Even though release window was short, I got more bored than during previous, loooong one.
Nothing rly changed historic wise, except white got even more present

John Keel

Savant
Angels WG was a big addition to historic .... and RBx Lurrus kind of vanished, not sure how can you say historic didn't change...

I'm very confident Faithless looting gonna ruin historic, and I'd put an option on timewarp + mystic sanctuary having a very bad impact too

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Angels WG was a big addition to historic .... and RBx Lurrus kind of vanished, not sure how can you say historic didn't change...
yeah i said it changed little, but for worse. My complain about whiteness

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom