Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Codex Bloodbowl League

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
if i'm gonna see a nigga skip moving his ball carrier when he can still score with 2 turns to go one more time i'm gonna bring down the hammer

bionicman

Liturgist
Strange Fellow, some things I noticed that could help you (I'm not a good orc coach by any means, so take this with a grain of salt):

1) Before your linemen and black orcs get block, try to put blitzers on the front line instead *when on offense* (although this doesn't work vs 4 strength teams like chaos and lizards). When on defense, black orcs on the front line is fine.

2) Teams with 3 strength fear black orcs. They especially fear them when they form a wall. Basically, try to use your black orcs as a standing wall. This forces elves to dodge out.

In my opinion there was this one situation where if you used a wall you would've fared a lot better in the first half:

t61HHbW.png

The arrows are my suggestion for what you should've done. You instead went to blitz with your black orc, left that other black orc at the top-left part of the cage doing nothing, and left your blitzer on the right vulnerable to a surf. Also, notice how by moving that black orc all the way to the left you would've allowed a two-dice block by giving a +1 assist to that blitzer there. Also, sorry for the dark-elf camera perspective but you get the idea.

The result of that turn was that dark elves had a 2-dice (1 with a reroll) block opportunity at your ball and managed to KO one of your black orcs. I think this turn was a deciding point. You played really well before this one, and this significantly slowed you down (though you still could've potentially scored in the end, as Darth Roxor pointed out, and made it a draw).

Jaedar was the one who had less luck this game I think, and still won anyways.

It was an entertaining game. I'm looking forward to playing against both of you.

EDIT: Strange Fellow, just noticed that pathing I drew for the blitzer is wrong, should instead just be a diagonal arrow toward that tile.

EDIT 2: I've fixed it now.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Jaedar was the one who had less luck this game I think, and still won anyways.
Maybe? I looked at the stats and I did have a higher percentage of skulls and 1s but at the same time I did fewer blocks and kept up quite well in the player count despite having lower armor and making fewer blocks.

It was a pretty dull game. I think strange fellow played a bit too passively in the first half, especially in the last 3 turns he needed to take some risks to move the ball. What risks I don't know, I am waaaay too rusty at the blocking game (made some really big derps were I failed to account for actually having a path to blitz where I wanted due to pushing/following poorly) and I've never played orcs. A wall of blorcs is pretty much impenetrable, but I wonder if it isn't better to use at least two of them to push forward.

Also in the screenshot you posted it might have been fine to move the blorc, but in general you need to be careful with making a wall like that since if the witch elf blocks left, she can push the ball carrier out of the cage and make him vulnerable to a blitz. Probably wouldn't happen in this particular setup since it's blorcs, but it's worth keeping in mind.

bionicman

Liturgist
Yeah, I agree that it's still dangerous, didn't think about it.

When I said you were unlucky, it was cause one thing stuck out as hilarious, which is at the end of first half when you (I think it was a blitz?) blocked with your witch elf, got double-skulls, which turned into a KO, which turned into a failed KO roll. :D

Anyways, I guess boot can start the next day round of the competition now.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
RK47, I have to add all codexian BB players to the Steam friend list again.

My friend list was wiped out when my account got stolen by russian hackers and sold to a romanian body inflation fetishist. True story.

Edit: Dammit! It really is a true story! I have romanian chatlogs and disturbing TF2 Pyro fanart to prove it!

Last edited:

bionicman

Liturgist
boot and I played and he learned the harsh lesson of the fragility of elves and why you should never place your armor-7 no-skill elves next to your opponents' players en masse. He decided to concede, since the game became very unenjoyable for both of us. I agree with the decision.

Generally speaking, pro elves (just like high elves, except even more) suck at early levels. However, pro elves suck at all levels. All the while humans are quite strong early.

If there will be a season 2 of the Codex bb league, I will most certainly pick a weaker team to handicap myself. These two games I've played so far have not been fair match ups to say the least.

Last edited:

boot

Prophet
ITZ OVER

incels concede on turn 5, onlookers disgusted, coach predicts bleak future ahead

bionicman
I know you shouldn't mark players with elves, if you watch me and RK's game you see I never really did that, but to apply any pressure you need some marking. I just wanted to try my luck I guess.

bionicman

Liturgist
I would say don't be pessimistic, but I would be a liar. Pro elves just suck ass.

boot
I actually don't disagree that you should do that (mark to apply pressure). It's a viable strategy, but better at later levels when you have a lot of blodge (block + dodge) and sidestep (although this backfires often too). E.g. a good time to do this is when you've acquired the ball from your opponent, but can't form a screen to protect your ball carrier (wood elves do this since the war dancers just leaps in, strips the ball away, and then the catcher dodges in, picks the ball up and runs away). The problem here is that you gave me a lot of free blocks (less risky ones). Perhaps if I were really unlucky with handing over the ball it would've worked out for you, but it was very unlikely. And so the whole action was too risky for what it's worth in my opinion.

Edit: Don't take my suggestions and blood bowl opinions too seriously though, it's important to have fun, and I'm by no means a good blood bowl player (I make stupid mistakes all the time), so I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Pro elves just suck ass.
Pro elves have shitty linos (they're probably the worst in the game for how relatively useless yet expensive they are) but they have great blitzers and the best catchers in the game. Basically the only way to stop a pro elf from a 2 turn touchdown is snake eyes. Which obviously does happen, but not that often.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
if you concede at turn 5 instead of going for 2-turn-tds when you still have 4 players left and 3 ko'd, the fuck you playing pro elves for

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
if you concede at turn 5 instead of going for 2-turn-tds when you still have 4 players left and 3 ko'd, the fuck you playing pro elves for

:lol:

EIN GLANFATH MOTHERFUCKERS

yeah if u play Pro Elves. You gotta be mentally prepared. Throw caution to the wind.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My God do 4 minute turns take forever. Granted we were chatting the whole time, but still.
I wish there was a timebank instead. 4 minutes for every turn is too long indeed, but never more than 2 minutes can wreck key turns.
Of course, playing vampires with less than 4 minutes/turn is difficult...

if i'm gonna see a nigga skip moving his ball carrier when he can still score with 2 turns to go one more time i'm gonna bring down the hammer
You sound like a dwarf hater!

bionicman

Liturgist
I bet it's going to be the most boring match in this whole tournament.

bionicman

Liturgist
I am in, used to play Fumbbl for years.

A bit too late now (we're somewhere mid second round out of 7? rounds), but I assume there will be another season so you can join then. Also, who knows maybe someone drops out and you can sub in (unless I'm wrong about this being an option in the bb2 client).

In the meantime, if you'd like to spectate the current live game with us, search for the UB United vs. Demons of Durlag match in the Cabal TV menu in bb2 (you have to enter one of the two team names into the team input field).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom