Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dietrich doesn't go anywhere. Basically nobody goes anywhere. It was a huge letdown that Glory boiled down to "the devil made me do it". I liked her a lot otherwise. I like 'em a bit damaged.

hello friend

Arcane
Dietrich in particular could've been much more memorable given that he was designed around the old punk trope, but eh.
Punk is cringe
Meh. It was a product of its time.
It was a manufactured cultural phenomenon engineered with the express goal of selling products. A whole generation fell for it, and built an identity out of essentially throwing an extended temper tantrum and wearing ugly shit.

Also as a musical genre it tends to be repetitive and simplistic. There's a reason 90% of women you meet who are in a band are in a punk band. There are exceptions, but as a whole it's an unmusical genre.

Vatnik Wumao
I think that you're putting the horse before the cart, hello friend. A feeling of disenfranchisement and broader social angst among the youth was a thing, punk at the grassroots level simply manifested those things in a (sub)cultural manner. That it then became mainstream and that companies cynically exploited this trend for profits doesn't mean that it had been manufactured from the start. And there certainly was an 'authentic' punk underground that wasn't glamorous, but filled with violent junkies and the like.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Dietrich doesn't go anywhere. Basically nobody goes anywhere. It was a huge letdown that Glory boiled down to "the devil made me do it". I liked her a lot otherwise. I like 'em a bit damaged.
Yeah,glory was the best companion in DF. It is shame that her character didn't evolve with the game. It was pretty retarded that she didn't find God. If i find some day that the devil used me as a cocksleeve i will be pretty fast in becoming a zealot and try to redeem my soul. Her reaction to put on chrome to hide her soul was retarded,as her soul will go to the devil when she die anyway. But it made sense in aspect of her character. Her whole story is about getting butthurt and reacting in stupid way.

Anyway,all around pretty well written character.

Oh and it was not muh devil made me do it lol.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I think that you're putting the horse before the cart, hello friend. A feeling of disenfranchisement and broader social angst among the youth was a thing, punk at the grassroots level simply manifested those things in a (sub)cultural manner. That it then became mainstream and that companies cynically exploited this trend for profits doesn't mean that it had been manufactured from the start. And there certainly was an 'authentic' punk underground that wasn't glamorous, but filled with violent junkies and the like.
Yeah,punk was one of the least manufactured pop cultures of the last 100 years. It was pretty natural evolution of anger and lack of direction in the youth. The same way we now have mosh pit,men need violence!

DeepOcean

Arcane
All decking sucked in HBS SR games.
More or less, yes, it was mostly simplistic combat arenas and it failed into implementing mechanics that came closer to what decking is on the PnP, HOWEVER, the little that was implemented, was enough to add a new dimension on combat encounters, there are a few combat encounters that make good use of it like the Aztechnology holding out where you needed to hold security while the same time decking in the system to open the doors to escape AND you had the optional objective of opening the prision cells. If you look to each system on an individual basis, they are very barebones but when you look on the big picture, decking brought alot to the table.

Also, there is that encounter where you need to deal with the Ai on Dragonfall that was also pretty well designed where you had three dimensions of fighting, your decker needed to fight on the Matrix on access points that were far apart, while the same time you needed to protect the central room and the deckers, also, there were vents everywhere that allowed your drones to move everywhere for you to easily reinforce places that needed more firepower. Played alot of RPGs with better designed mechanics but with shitty copy pasted lazy encounters that waste those mechanics (BG 1 and PoE encounter design, for example, are the main culprits for both games being shit), but Dragonfall was well designed to take blood from really primitive systems.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I’m guessing this has something to do with their poor integration of feedback from steam.

I emailed them my running list of bugs for each game, in excess of 20 items per SR release, and they diligently fixed them in either the next patch released, or shortly thereafter.

They were very approachable and quick to acknowledge bugs - via email.

Lacrymas

Arcane
What was that mod/file that allowed AI to attack with both their APs instead of always having to move with one of them?

Codex Year of the Donut
It was a huge letdown that Glory boiled down to "the devil made me do it".
come on now. its hilarious.

it's also pretty horrible.

but so sudden it's hilarious.
I feel like the devs were trying to comment on the consequences of abuse and how cults are immensely seductive in that context. They didn't do a very good job.
It was a perfect time for one of those "humans are the real monsters" twists
guess they used that card up on the mediocre neonazi mission, oh well

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's a very Witcher take on it. "Both swords are for monsters" and all that jazz. But I don't think that's a very clever or overly necessary take.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Which one is close second then?
Hong Kong, but all of them are somewhat on the same level. It's not like Dragonfall is an unassailable masterpiece while the others are barely worth looking at. Dragonfall is marginally better than Hong Kong and Hong Kong is marginally better than Dead Man's Switch, but that's because DMS gets weird halfway through and has a few bumps with the engine.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dragonfall > Hong Kong >>> Returns

I think Dragonfall and Hong Kong are pretty close. Most people complain about the wordiness of Hong Kong, but I think the changes to cyberspace are more egregious.

Delterius

Arcane
I think Hong Kong has the best, most interesting world and characters while Dragonfall has the leanest, meanest plotline. Little point in debating which is better: if you like one of them you should just play both. They aren't that long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom