Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial Codex WotR weather poll

How much, in your opinion, should weather conditions affect the characters:

• Total voters

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This is on their Discord right now:
In Wrath of the Righteous characters can encounter rather extreme weather conditions. How much, in your opinion, should such conditions affect the characters:
1. Extreme weather should not affect characters at all; heroes can survive even in an avalanche.
2. Extreme weather conditions are just an inconvenience. There could be minor debuff that some players would not even notice. It is definitely not life-threatening. The player can prevent, reduce or completely overcome the weather effects with some spells or abilities available to the PC or companions.
3. Extreme weather conditions are harsh, could strongly debuff the PC and companions, even kill sometimes. The player can prevent, reduce or completely overcome the weather effects with some spells or abilities available to the PC or companions.
Please vote for 3. 2 is leading right now.

Well I'm asking right now. Let's see what they say

their reply:
G4vbfby.jpg

I know the Russians are reading the Codex. So let's see what the active community members over here think about the weather.

Shaki

Arbiter
Depend on how exactly those "harsh effects" are implemented. If it's creative enough to add depth, and actually change the way I have to approach fights, force me to use different strategies, rather than do exact same shit in every fight, I'm all for it. If it comes down to just slapping random "-x% something" debuffs on my chars, and only real effect it has is forcing me to add another spell to my already tedious prebuff routine, then I would rather not have it affect me at all.

Efe

Erudite
weather in kingmaker looked nice but it served no functional purpose other than slowing player down.

I'm not a fan of random debuffs and surely they won't be making a complex system that meshes with spells and abilities.
also for the love of god debuff movement speed in any way shape or form while out of combat.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
weather in kingmaker looked nice but it served no functional purpose other than slowing player down.
This is incorrect. If you play a Thundercaller Bard, and it started raining, your song deals more damage.

But, as far as I am aware of, that is the only thing that it influenced.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Why should weather not be a big deal? Realistically, adverse weather conditions would be a much bigger problem than monsters for adventuring parties. A battle lasts a few minutes, but a blizzard can last a few days.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Why should weather not be a big deal? Realistically, adverse weather conditions would be a much bigger problem than monsters for adventuring parties. A battle lasts a few minutes, but a blizzard can last a few days.

Because this level of realism is only worth preserving if it will generate interesting gameplay. In this case, it usually doesn't.

Last edited:

Funposter

Arcane
Harsh weather conditions are a great idea as long as they act as an actual gameplay mechanic that the player can mitigate, interact with and even take advantage of if they affect enemy NPCs. They're a terrible idea if all they do is act as a shitty debuff or hassle you on the travel map.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Weather effects are often neglected as superflous gimmick, even though they can create very memorable encounters.
But if they are implemented as short-time events, like in PKM, they always will be just an ignorable inconvinience.

Efe

Erudite
Do you really expect something like willfully controlling weather for drezen attack, disabling enemies units on walls in exchange for shitty conditions or other similar hand placed interactions?

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Weather conditions should be implemented in such a way that if the weather is severe enough then some fights (including critical for the game progress) become impossible to win. So the player should either retreat and try again or reload. This way Last Azlanti playthrough becomes a Russian roulette with the weather - as it should and always has been in real human life.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
If weather conditions are part of area or encounter design then yes, it should affect characters.

If its a random debuff, then no.

jungl

Augur
cant think of a single rpg where weather affected gameplay. Simulator and rts games yes but not rpgs.

Aarwolf

Learned
Weather should be harsh like siberian winter or kazakh steppe in summer. If the devs don't know how to implement this, they should be sent there for three years long каторга.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
After seeing how they handled weather conditions in Kingmaker, I think it's in everyone's interest to drop this thing. Seeing your characters' movement speed slow down to a crawl every once in a while is not fun and serves absolutely no purpose. I'd love to be surprised, but I'm pretty skeptical about this.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Weather should be harsh like siberian winter or kazakh steppe in summer. If the devs don't know how to implement this, they should be sent there for three years long каторга.
I'm pretty sure some of the developers were born there. And so was I.

It is quite a nice place to live, actually; at least no one is panicking that there is snow in June or 30 cm of snow falls in one day.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
After seeing how they handled weather conditions in Kingmaker, I think it's in everyone's interest to drop this thing. Seeing your characters' movement speed slow down to a crawl every once in a while is not fun and serves absolutely no purpose. I'd love to be surprised, but I'm pretty skeptical about this.
That's an extremely homosexual post NJ.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm pretty sure some of the developers were born there. And so was I.

It is quite a nice place to live, actually; at least no one is panicking that there is snow in June or 30 cm of snow falls in one day.
Wish Florida had snow. These freaking summers are getting longer and hotter with each passing year. Lord have mercy.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's an extremely homosexual post NJ.
And does that surprise you? Seriously?

But what's the point of having to wait longer IRL when you want to go from point A to point B, without any effect on gameplay? That's just boring. And since that was their idea of "weather conditions" in Kingmaker, I don't see why it should be different this time around, especially considering how hesitant they are about implementing anything that wasn't already in the first game, except for that HoMM minigame.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
And does that surprise you? Seriously?

But what's the point of having to wait longer IRL when you want to go from point A to point B, without any effect on gameplay? That's just boring. And since that was their idea of "weather conditions" in Kingmaker, I don't see why it should be different this time around, especially considering how hesitant they are about implementing anything that wasn't already in the first game, except for that HoMM minigame.
Removal of features, even time wasting and annoying ones is decline. Improve, do not remove.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom