Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The worst RPG you play a lot (and why)

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I've been playing the absolute shit out of KOTOR lately.

It's a shallow, easy game with a silly plot and clunky, awful combat. Still I've become obsessed with making the perfect build in it. I've restarted at least 10 times, coming closer to perfection with each iteration of my PC. I've studied the gear list and, class and skill descriptions exhaustively comparing HP and FP totals, attack bonuses, defense and force power DCs for dozens of class, stat, feat and gear combos. This was supposed to be a quick playthrough just to tick this one off my list before moving on but something about the character system has me thoroughly hooked. It's always the character system for me. Always about the build. I don't even like playing this game, it's just tedium I go through to achieve a satisfying result. When that last piece of gear goes on my character and 9 DEX becomes 14, giving a +2 to my defense which the maximum allowed by my armor. So satisfying.

Can you relate? What trash or mediocre games do you love and why?

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
playing life daily
have the stats, cant pass the checks for hidden best ending... game is rigged
rng raped me once :(
cant quit

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Age of Decadence. I wouldn't make a habit out of playing anything worse than that.

Shaki

Arbiter
Arcanum, it's broken af, combat especially, but for some reason I still get an overwhelming urge to replay it once in a while. 99% of RPGs I just finish once or twice, but I always come back to Arcanum. I think it's just the amount of options the game has, I find something new each time I play it. It's garbage, but also a masterpiece at the same time.

grimer

Learned
i play morrowind sometimes while trying to decide which rpg to play. the gameplay is shallow and mindless to the point where you dont have to worry about character development, combat, resource management, dungeon design or anything else which requires a modicum of thought really. morrowind is so braindead easy stephen hawking probably couldve played it with his 1 cheek muscle (select w to walk forward, select lmb to mash into the enemy). for me, playing morrowind is similar to fiddling with something on the desk while lost in thought, except its slightly more interactive and accompanied with good music and pretty scenery. it also serves as a palate cleanser for whatever rpg i play next so i dont play it with unreasonably high expectations.

Drowed

Arcane
Let me just post my playtime on Steam:

1.png

Pick whatever one you want to hate. Why I played that much of it? Because I wanted to, I guess. To be fair, Quake, Doom 2, Warcraft 2 and Starcraft would be at the top of that list if the time I spent playing was counted.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Let me just post my playtime on Steam:

1.png

Pick whatever one you want to hate. Why I played that much of it? Because I wanted to, I guess. To be fair, Quake, Doom 2, Warcraft 2 and Starcraft would be at the top of that list if the time I spent playing was counted.
My kids love broforce.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Every few years I'll fire up the GOG version of Baldur's Gate 1 and do solo, Ironman runs. Over and over and over . . . Theres no mystery, no thought involved, just the endless loop of soloing with various builds until (or if) I die, and then start again.

Luckily this retarded compulsion only hits me when work is particularly soul sucking around big project deadlines at the end of the fiscal year.

hellbent

Augur
Though I haven't played it in a couple of years - NWN OC. Because I'm such a completionist batshit crazy autist that I can't just roll a new character into HoTU or SoU, I have to play them through the OC first.

Drowed

Arcane
My kids love broforce.

Yeah, it is pretty much the definition of mindless fun - but it can be infuriating to play with random people on the Internet, which, come to think of it, is true of any game. The funny thing is that most of the characters are references from movies that most kids haven't seen. It is the kind of game that you turn off your brain, play until you get sick of it, and decide to do something else more productive with your life.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Every few years I'll fire up the GOG version of Baldur's Gate 1 and do solo, Ironman runs. Over and over and over . . . Theres no mystery, no thought involved, just the endless loop of soloing with various builds until (or if) I die, and then start again.

Luckily this retarded compulsion only hits me when work is particularly soul sucking around big project deadlines at the end of the fiscal year.

at least use SCS, lol

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Most of the answers here range from decent to great RPGs. Proving once again that RPGcodex is not a great place for these r/games kinds of posts.

Harthwain

Magister
The worst RPG?

Darkest Dungeon.

In terms of its RPG elements it's a very weak RPG, but it has an amazing atmosphere, it's procedurally generated and can be quite challenging for such a simple game.

Funposter

Arcane
Skyrim because modding it is really interesting, almost like playing Minecraft using the NexusMods download page.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom