Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oii Any World of Darkness Fans here?

Eldagusto

Educated
Howdy I am Eldagusto and new to this forum and is there folks fond of D10 systems of Whitewolf Fame? Onyxpath seems to be almost done with the World of Darkness Property and the Storyteller's Vault seems more exciting then canon products now a days.

Or is this lot mostly Dungeons and Dragons Dweebs?

I was pointed in this direction by a friend a few weeks back. It looks like the wild west over here, and that's a good thing.

Eadee

Scholar
I played a lot of WoD and ran a V:tM campaign over several years (Also played W:tA, M:tA and some dark ages variants, but mostly V:tM).
At this point I actually prefer playing/running the 20th anniversary edition games combined with some revised rules because 20th fucked up some stuff (potence, celerity, fortitude for example).

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I played and have been a Storyteller for almost everything WW from the '90, Vampire (Masquerade, Dark Ages) Werewolf, Mages, Changeling, Mummy, Wraith and Exalted. Oh, and Hengeyokai, before furries got a bad reputation in the early 2000...

Great settings, shit systems. The reason they fucked up Celerity is because Celerity has always been fucked up, there's really no way to balance a linear increase in actions vs things like Potency or Fortitude. Or at least, undoable unless you also provide a much more robust combat system. Exalted tried and failed, mainly because WW lacked the resources and manpower to balance hundreds of different competitive charms against themselves. They should have hired some CCG team to go that route.

Some few selected people from the forums initially received a blessing to update 2nd edition with new charms and combo rules, but it all degraded in forum squabbles and my first foray with cancel culture and oppression olympics.

Still have 90% of my original books, except for Wraith stuff (sold, I simply didn't like it) and some Mages and Vampire supplements.

Last edited:
Was a big fan before Cuckhena happened recently with that weird Muslim vampire. I've really wanted to play the unofficially official Exalted vs World of Darkness by Holden Shearer. I like that it takes the old abandoned hints that Exalted was the pre history of the WoD and runs with it. It's by one of the OG WoD writers so it's kinda sorta official even though it definitely isn't. I just think it'd be good for a laugh seeing as the setting is meant to be just as ALL of the various WoD apocalypses happen at the same time. And certain people are suddenly Superman with no idea how that happened or what's going on with the world. But now it's time to beat up some Vampires.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Mmmh.., interesting HLS is one of the major point of the transition of the forums towards drama and singling out "unwanted" authors. He was also one of the major proponent of the shift towards Wuxia style adventure, 1st ed. Exalted had much more western/near east tropes, only the DB shogunate being truly animu level. Then, after they opened the floodgates of amateur authors with "blessed" revisions and such, everything and his dog was using Martial arts styles in combat, and there were about 8 MA charms for every Melee charm published. Brawl being a forgotten stain of a tree, forever shaming any character or Npc investing in it.

That said the guy had a knack for balancing and fine tuning multiple opposed avenues of powers, some of his works were really top-notch and I integrated them into my campaign (mainly the alredy mentioned MA styles). He was just an unsufferable drama queen. Never knew about the unofficial crossover, back in the days he strongly voiced his opinion that it was a "retconned" thing and a "dropped point" of the meta-narrative. Personally, that little "Age of Sorrow" mark behind the earliest first edition books is one of the main reasons I picked them up to begin with.

If the topic of ancient anti-deluvian OWOD history interests you Trans-Financial-Man, your best bet to find original info from the '90 is to check Werewolf (the Impergium is strongly hinted to be an internal affair among Lunar Exalted). Either in Kindred of the East main book or in the main Hengeyokai supplement there's a timeline of sort, Kue-Jin and western Kindred are what remains of Solar and Abyssal Essence in the world. Going from memory here so don't quote me, plz.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Played Vampire the Masquerade back 20 years ago,loved the setting and tried the Dark Ages Vampire too which was also good.When they nuked the whole thing I tried the nWoD a bit,the new ruleset streamlined some thing and I liked that they decided to have so many books that supported playing as humans,the new Vampire setting though was :decline: compared to the old one and I lost my interest.By the time V20 got published I had gotten out of pnp,I have the pdfs in my hdd drive along woth all the rest but I haven't botheref to even read them.

Gyor

Savant
Controversial Opinion: Chronicles of Darkness is better then World of Darkness, it does horror better IMHO and seems more creative.

Still now that Scion and some of the other properties that The Onyx Path actually owns is doing so well, The Onyx Path is giving less attention to Exalted, WoD, and CoD and what love they get is split between them, but honestly CoD 2.0 at this point feels pretty complete, its all gravy now.

Eldagusto

Educated
I’m so relieved by the attitudes here. The onyx forums was basically ruled by the mods basically forming cults of personality and letting their friends get away with literally anything and them trying to red flag and ban folks they didn’t like even if they broke no rules. It flat out sickened me, especially their woke racism where they treated all brown people as having no agency and if you clapped back on it they would smite you down like a dog that bit their owner.

Silva

Arcane
V5 seems to fix everything I always wanted in my youth, but now it's too late as we're all adults and find the whole gothic thing silly as fuck.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Controversial Opinion: Chronicles of Darkness is better then World of Darkness, it does horror better IMHO and seems more creative.

CofD aka nWoD was bereft of much of that personality old games had. Intentionally because all the new game lines were essentially a bunch of building blocks for the ST to put together, or not if he didn't want to include them. Requiem specifically was hit with massive backlash because it was the first and so many things were seemingly absent compared to Masquerade until you looked deeper. There was also the Translation Guide if you really wanted to import material into Requiem. I've fallen out of this stuff in general, but from what I've read and heard a lot of 2Es are even tighter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom