Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What if we split the Codex into two sites: RPG Codex + Political Codex?

What do you think about splitting the politics out to a separate stand-alone website + forums?

• THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA

Votes: 137 37.8%
  • Over my dead body

Votes: 133 36.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 92 25.4%

• Total voters

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also I think Delterius has sort of proven my point about the slippery slope of disallowing "political" discussions in game threads.

Plenty of people on this forum obviously found the writing of the dwarf woman companion in Pillars bad and wanted to discuss in in the thread. That's apparently forbidden because it's "political".

So this new sanitised Codex is going to have a list of forbidden topics that can't be discussed for each game? Sounds like that Hitman forum that forbids any discussion of Diana because muh soggy knees.

Are these discussions not genuine criticisms of a game?

Lemming42

Arcane
It's impossible to disallow all "political" discussion in gaming threads, obviously. But at the same time, the site can be such a massive fucking chore to read half the time because no matter what the topic is, some Polish neo-nazi will show up to complain about Western civilization collapsing because of homos or something.

I don't think there's necessarily any way to fix this via intervention from mods or making a new site or anything. It can only be fixed if the Codex userbase fixes it themselves. However, I'm 100% behind the idea of PoliticalCodex dot com, because there's so many incredible ways it could go wrong and the only reason I'm even on the internet is to laugh at things that go completely tits-up. Worst case scenario, it flops and we get a good laugh out of it. Best case scenario, it becomes Stormfront Lite with an even worse user interface and a beleaguered mod team who don't care about any of that shit are forced to put out fires daily, giving us an endless stream of good laughs for years to come. And if we're very lucky, it could act as successful containment for at least some of the people who are just here to piss and moan about "culture war" shit constantly.

Delterius

Arcane
that forbids
At no point did I call for anything to be forbidden.

All I'm saying is that if I go to 4chan someone is going to scream nigger in a thread and then everyone moves on until someone else complains about the lack of lolis in a game. And the discussion moves on again. On the codex we don't move on. Its a difference with the format really but everyone is so hung up by their posting persona that 90% of the posts become dumb. Like with twitter.

jackofshadows

Magister
postsbyforumgroup-png.18887
That's a nice chart but it's useless without some others which would show users cross-stats. The whole idea of splitting could make sense only if intersections were very weak and basically political subforum and RPG discussion were the two separate audiences. As far as I'm aware, that's not the case.

What I really like about Codex is a simple fact that there's a lot of different opinions about any remotely popular game so it's fun to read even the most biased/retarded ones. Splitting the site most probably would led to departure of some users entirely from RPG discussion which would be unfortunate to me.

Gastrick

Cipher
Of note, as a single forum, Politics out performs every other individual forum, including GD. If you include the two sub-forums, it out-performs GD by almost 50,000 posts. This is despite the requirement that to even see the forum, you must have been a member for at least 12 months.
What? I could have been using GD right away?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Why don't you tell the true goal behind this? to quarantine ( and eventually make disappear when the political dex gets closed down) all uncomfortable polutical discussion, while try to attract more npcs. Already told you, rpgcodex owe its niche and success to the freedom to discuss every topic freely. If you want to turn this place into another resetera you will lose most of the current users, while not being able to compete with other sanitized forums.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Recent global geopolitical events along with our generally more lazy approach to "free speech" (or at least more free speech than other places give you), have resulted in a steady rise of political discussion here on the RPG Codex. To the extent that some have recently expressed concern that the RPG aspect is being lost in the politics.

Statistics show that since 1 Jan 2020, there have been 786,320 new posts made on the Codex. This represents 11% of the total 7,077,829 posts made in the entire 19 year history of the Codex.

Of those 786,320 posts:

262,124 (33%) in the various RPG forums (including News & Content, and Developer / Hosted sub-forums)
222,040 (28%) in Off-Topic Forums (excluding Politics)
184,209 (23%) in Politics, God & The Wealth of Nations and its two sub-forums
116,610 (15%) in the General Gaming forums
1,337 (0%) in Administration which oddly, happened entirely by chance

View attachment 18887

Of note, as a single forum, Politics out performs every other individual forum, including GD. If you include the two sub-forums, it out-performs GD by almost 50,000 posts. This is despite the requirement that to even see the forum, you must have been a member for at least 12 months.

Posts Forum %
136,802 Politics, God & The Wealth of Nations 17%
130,531 General Discussion 17%
95,686 General RPG Discussion 12%
59,765 General Gaming 8%
45,406 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN 6%
34,909 Codex Public Library 4%
29,094 Owlcat Games 4%
27,988 Retardo Land 4%
24,090 Larian Studios 3%
22,820 CD Projekt Red 3%
20,235 jRPG Weeaboo Discussion 3%
16,610 Gaming Drama 2%
15,598 Strategy and Simulation 2%
14,994 News & Content Feedback 2%
10,739 Site Feedback 1%
10,732 SCIENCE!! 1%
10,311 Obsidian Entertainment 1%
7,410 BioWare 1%
7,294 Codex Playground 1%
7,244 MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion 1%
6,809 The Gazebo 1%
5,101 Tactical Gaming 1%
4,937 Underrail 1%
4,850 Bethesda Game Studios 1%
4,357 Choose Your Own Adventure Land 1%
4,217 Adventure Gaming 1%
3,559 inXile Entertainment 0%
3,211 Sports and Fitness 0%
3,162 Iron Tower Studio 0%
3,154 Codex Workshop 0%
2,232 Giftstravaganza 0%
2,006 Prosperium 0%
2,001 No Malarkey! 0%
1,924 The Leisure Zone 0%
1,458 Piranha Bytes 0%
1,123 Golden Era Games 0%
828 Space Games 0%
662 Administration™ 0%
608 MP Gaming 0%
439 Contact Us (RPGCodex)! 0%
353 The Boar Studio 0%
284 ToEE Modding 0%
195 RPG Codex Content 0%
185 Prelude To Darkness 0%
119 Expeditions 0%
79 Prisonscape 0%
58 Ash of Gods 0%
55 Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome 0%
40 The cRPG Player's Handbook 0%
39 The Cabal 0%
14 StarLife 0%
2 TCancer News & Content Comments 0%
1 What Remains 0%
786,320 TOTAL POSTS

We've also been invaded by Poles. Although this is a side issue and in no way relevant to the conversation topic here.

A suggestion has been made that to ensure our RPG focus, we split the politics off into its own site. With political news. Focussed on politics. Entirely separate from the RPG Codex. With its own forum, domain name, and user registration required. Run under similar rules, but probably with a few extra in order to stop it from turning into StormFront Lite.

Political discussion then simply wouldn't exist on the RPG Codex. The forums would be focussed on gaming only. In fact there may not even be a General Discussion, with all of that pushed over to an entirely separate site (or a limited GD with anyone wanting to engage in politics being directed over).

I don't see the point in it, as the "political" types generally respect the idea of keeping the gaming discussions free of politics. IOW, you already have that sort of division, by habit, tradition and instinct. That's what political sub-forums are for in special interest forums.

If one is interacting with fellow nerds, one just naturally wants to know what their opinions are on topics other than games.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
Why don't you tell the true goal behind this? to quarantine ( and eventually make disappear when the political dex gets closed down) all uncomfortable polutical discussion, while try to attract more npcs
This proposal is not about removing politics from video game forum, but about removing uncomfortable video game discussions (or more precisely- developers posting here), from stromfront-lite (you can't stop it, DU) politics forum.
And probably it's also about fresh accounts, in order that mods could shitpost about krakens and other american hallucinations without their real names attached.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anything highly off topic generally gets moved to a GD or gaming drama thread anyway, sometimes things that are extremely relevant to the game get removed as well, but that's beside the point.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
How do you expect to do this when "games" are becoming more and more political. If they have no standards why should the codex?

Corvinus

Arcane
It has become clear that the pharisee swine (the real force behind the 2021 'Dex) is bothered that it can not rake in its thirty pieces of silver by posting paid press kits anymore. Hence the cloaking of the Shoutbox. The Codex can not maintain its reputation as a free speech zone if the more vocal among us are simply silenced, and thus, repeated attempts have been made to bully these Codexers off the site. With public uproar as the result. In a true globohomo fashion, there are also serious attempts to replace the monocled Codexer of yore with the gullible Decline Enabler who loves shit like 'modern RPGs' , id est utter trash infested with subhumans and wokeness. Quite obviously these are largely rebuked by the fact that it is possible to call them out on their shit taste here, and that horrible wrongthink takes place here - something which cannot easily be "dealt with" in the SJW manner: Exile.

Quite the predicament. No money or no soul? As the old world is dying, being replaced by an abomination, it is only fitting that the Old Codex is set to follow it into the grave.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd suggest making the general discussion forums a little less visible. I mean there are already options to not view forums, but maybe make those options enabled by default for all new users and people not logged in.

Maxie

DU actively supported Trumpist delusions throughout the whole clown show, in fact the influx of too cool for school 4chan Trump types are his fav kind of people

What kind of seditious blasphemy is this? Will our ancient Codexian nation stand by as this rotten fool, calling himself an admin, tries to plant treason in our midst? Not only must we suffer constant indignities from that tribe of cackling merchants (which have infiltrated our body and occupy even the highest positions of our government), now our own leaders stab us in the back!

They mention "politics" as an excuse. Well, what is "politics"? That is simple: what the Jew doesn't want to hear.

In fact, there is no politics in the Codex, nor can there be. Because the Codex is One and has always been. And "politics" is merely a ploy to divide us, to preven us from reaching our true strength.

My brothers, we can no longer trust our leaders. A solution is required, a radical, definitive, FINAL solution. Only then can this seditious talk of "politics" end, once and for all.

mondblut

Arcane
1. Let's split politics into separate forum!
2. Let's shut down that nasty, nazi politics forum.

DEBOONK me.

The cucks who can't stomach some righteous white male anger are welcome at rpgwatch.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1. Let's split politics into separate forum!
2. Let's shut down that nasty, nazi politics forum.

DEBOONK me.

P. much this.

Any company that would complain about GD type discussions would be upset with the codex's association with a new site.

Cancel culture doesnt only target the source of their anger. It targets every thing around it and goes scorched earth until it gets what it wants.

Splitting the forum is just defacto banning political discussion from people guilty of wrong think.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
That's a terrible idea. Having to be registered for a year on an RPG related forum prevents the political discussion from declining into inferno of morons.
1. It fends off some of the retards who have nothing going on in life except for pushing their politics online. In other words it stops subhumans from migrating here en-masse.
2. It makes people less likely to create troll accounts since they need to wait a year before being able to register. Only a dedicated person could wait a year just to be able to troll people.
3. It prevents the board from being hotlinked on places gathering retards whenever something happens. What I'd like to prevent is for example a bunch of retards on Resetera getting banned due to having wrong politics and registering on political Codex since it's the "heaven of free speech" and shitting everything up.
4. I just don't want to be forced to interact with people who don't play RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom