Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
They needed to do something to justify selling this at full price (while generating hype over the totally not dead ip guys!) but couldn't/wouldn't do the effort to re-do the stuff that would actually need some change and couldn't be automated like the textures. Is it really a shock that nu bioware decided to completely botch the art style?
3 games+ DLC for $60 is full price?

Tehdagah

Arcane
Is it just me or do the Original games still look better?
Remastered is better

kj3dnwkyi0t61.png
i think they just recycled the model from ME3.
She is hotter now

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
For me the Legendary Edition is a mixed bag so far. Some shots in that new trailer are undeniably better than the original. Others seem either a wash, or confusing. Still others are slightly worse. The Liara pic is one that's slightly worse. I don't understand why they changed her uniform, and while her face has more detail, she looks different. Liara has always looked like a blue, alien, Sean Young. Something about her in the LE version makes her look tawdry. It's like filming a stage play in 4K or something, and you can suddenly see the over-done theatrical makeup on the actors.

Garrus is the other confusing shot. I don't know what kind of lighting effect is being used in the LE, but it makes his armor look strange. Like plastic.

Beyond that, I thought all the other shots looked better in the LE. That said, it's definitely an artistic change to lighten up the shadows. The Mass Effect series had incredibly crushed blacks and pitch-black shadows, and the level designers were very liberal in their application of them, frequently only having portions of the characters' faces lit. I've never seen this as a limitation of the engine (although, it's certainly that too), as much as an aesthetic choice. Neon lights and lens flares against pitch black shadows was kind of the aesthetic "space noir" look of the series, and it was consistent from game to game. It seems like the introduction of fancy lighting to the LE might destroy that aesthetic, as it has the effect of making the shadows much less stark, lightening up the entire game.

KVVRR

Learned
They needed to do something to justify selling this at full price (while generating hype over the totally not dead ip guys!) but couldn't/wouldn't do the effort to re-do the stuff that would actually need some change and couldn't be automated like the textures. Is it really a shock that nu bioware decided to completely botch the art style?
Three games from a decade ago with dlc that was mostly completely pointless/on disk when they released, and with some big parts missing such as the multiplayer for 3? Absolutely.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm sure it will be in the bargain bin a few months after it releases, so nobody will pay 60 jewro for it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm sure it will be in the bargain bin a few months after it releases, so nobody will pay 60 jewro for it.

People have paid thousands for a game that doesn't even exist yet, I wouldn't be so sure.

jackofshadows

Magister
Console peasants will pay because they don't know what a mod is.

All visuals talk aside, if LE's gameplay will be actually on pair with ME3 all the way it will be really cool. Hardly worth $60 or even regional price but cool. What I really mean is - so be it, I'll play it for free then.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I got ME3 for $5 a couple years after release, so it's gonna be really hard to convince me to pay a fortune for this.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Three games from a decade ago with dlc that was mostly completely pointless/on disk when they released, and with some big parts missing such as the multiplayer for 3? Absolutely.
And what price were each of those games when they came out a decade ago?

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
ME3's multiplayer was pretty fun, so there actually was a good reason to get it legally

That's true. I think I spent a couple hundred hours on it. It almost is enough to make up for my extreme butthurt at the ending of the story.

KVVRR

Learned
And what price were each of those games when they came out a decade ago?
The price those games had when they came out at launch is irrelevant when I could've grabbed all three of them for less than 20 bucks (dlc included) before EA bumped the prices once they got 3 and the remaster on steam.
I'm sure you could still find them for like 5$ each in ebay or something.
As a matter of fact
https://www.ebay.es/itm/Mass-Effect...826491?hash=item3b5027593b:g:vVgAAOSw7xlfhd9R

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
When you're playing a game you got for $5 and they're trying to sell you loot boxes, that is fucking wild. It's like you must be in the Twilight Zone because no human would be that insane.

Caim

Arcane
I bought Mass Effect 3 full price at the release day, because I wanted to support Bioware and thank them for the wonderful experiences they've been providing me. If only I knew.
I got it on release at full price because I had gotten into Mass Effect around the time the final DLC of ME2 hit and I wanted to see how it all ended. If only I knew.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I pirated it after all the DLC for it was out.

After the faggotry (no offense) of DA2 I swore I'd never buy another bioware game. But I did want to see how it ended so I did this as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom