Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What if we split the Codex into two sites: RPG Codex + Political Codex?

What do you think about splitting the politics out to a separate stand-alone website + forums?

• THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA

Votes: 137 37.8%
  • Over my dead body

Votes: 133 36.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 92 25.4%

• Total voters

mondblut

Arcane
Statistics show that since 1 Jan 2020, there have been 786,320 new posts made on the Codex. This represents 11% of the total 7,077,829 posts made in the entire 19 year history of the Codex.

Of those 786,320 posts:

262,124 (33%) in the various RPG forums (including News & Content, and Developer / Hosted sub-forums)
222,040 (28%) in Off-Topic Forums (excluding Politics)
184,209 (23%) in Politics, God & The Wealth of Nations and its two sub-forums
116,610 (15%) in the General Gaming forums
1,337 (0%) in Administration which oddly, happened entirely by chance

I took liberty to improve your graph.

ggMbSZs.png

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe I missed it but I have yet to see why this is actually such a bad idea for RPG Codex' RPG discussion. I only saw declarative statements without any arguments (maybe I honestly missed it, just saying) and posts like the one above by Gangrel that explained why the idea would be bad for the political discourse here. Even though this is allegedly a site for RPG discussion.

It is also a little revealing cause that kind of argument seems to me like the /pol/tards here know that their shit attracts other (perhaps even more retarded) /po/ltards like shit attracts the flies.

So what they actually do is abuse the RPG in "RPG Codex" as some kind of protective front organization for their /pol/posting. Tells you all you need to know about how much they value the actual focus of this site, really.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The RPG forums are the Custom and Immigration Offices to your Political section.

If you get rid of the passive filtering system you've set up, the only thing that will result is an unnecessary community fracture, but most importantly 365X more work for you, DU.

Are you sure about this? Every prison is mostly run by the inmates. If you do this, you would have to... work.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's been said before, but I'll repeat it again.

Banning politics from game discussion defacto bans criticism of games the woke crowd deems unacceptable.

That's the short version of it sausage

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe I missed it but I have yet to see why this is actually such a bad idea for RPG Codex' RPG discussion. I only saw declarative statements without any arguments (maybe I honestly missed it, just saying) and posts like the one above by Gangrel that explained why the idea would be bad for the political discourse here. Even though this is allegedly a site for RPG discussion.

It is also a little revealing cause that kind of argument seems to me like the /pol/tards here know that their shit attracts other (perhaps even more retarded) /po/ltards like shit attracts the flies.

So what they actually do is abuse the RPG in "RPG Codex" as some kind of protective front organization for their /pol/posting. Tells you all you need to know about how much they value the actual focus of this site, really.

I've mentioned it over and over in this thread, but there has been zero clarification on what "politics" means. Infinitron made his intentions very clear in the edge thread when he mentioned that he feels discussing anything but "RPG mechanics" is bad.

There would have to be clear definitions of what a "political" discussion is. Delterius mentioned that he considers negative discussion of the dwarf hunter companion in Pillars to be "political" discussion. Others may consider that merely a discussion of a game's writing.

To some people on this forum, any criticism of a game for something with woke connections is politics. I don't entirely trust the people that would be doing the policing either.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
The separation is a good idea but the off topic posters will simply continue starting off topic threads in the gaming forum because they can't seem to contain their enthusiasm and want to share their groundbreaking opinions with everyone else, even those who don't care about them.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's been said before, but I'll repeat it again.

Banning politics from game discussion defacto bans criticism of games the woke crowd deems unacceptable.

That's the short version of it sausage

Nevermind the fact that no one suggested banning anyone, or giving in to a woke crowd (that lack of subject comprehension seems to be a common theme among the /pol/sters) ...

OL4l9y3.png

... why the fuck would you care about how game discussion could change anyways?

Corvinus

Arcane

Opposed to "some kind of protective front organization for their POZkit posting". Tells you all you need about how much they value the actual focus of this site, really.

Vatnik Wumao
I also find it quite amusing how people bring up percentages of user posts in this or that subforum as a justification for there being a split. At the end of the day, there's only so much that one can talk about dealing with old titles and new releases which catch one's interest are few and far between; the fact that a user posts mostly in GD & co. only shows that he's an involved part of the RPG Codex community and does not imply in any way that he's not interested in video games - only that he posts about the latter when there's a topic worth discussing.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I'm annoyed by the endless muh SJWs/Joos/Nigz/whatever drivel as the next non-fash. But I just can't imagine a multiverse where the split would go well. Short-term for the RPG codex? Sure. But I think the polCodex would inevitably go down the shitter one way or another, dragging the rpgcodex with it, again, one way or another. So I rather suck it up the way it is, be thankful that I can call someone a faggot no matter his sexual orientation if I wish to, and if a gamergater becomes too boring/obnoxious, there's still the ignore feature.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
POZkit posting

Yea, sure are flooded with these types, eh?

But I just can't imagine a multiverse where the split would go well.

Sure. And just for the record, I am not advocating for either, and I have not voted on anything (yet). Nor do I believe this is really serious, anyway. I am just curious. A split like that could have unforeseen consequences, for sure.

Don Peste

Arcane
Think of it, guys. In the new Political Codex you will have custom avatars, a hoard of new buttons, there will be open positions for moderators...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I also find it quite amusing how people bring up percentages of user posts in this or that subforum as a justification for there being a split. At the end of the day, there's only so much that one can talk about dealing with old titles and new releases which catch one's interest are few and far between; the fact that a user posts mostly in GD & co. only shows that he's an involved part of the RPG Codex community and does not imply in any way that he's not interested in video games - only that he posts about the latter when there's a topic worth discussing.
Now that's some cope.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

It was already pointed out several times in this thread that gaming simply is politicised nowadays, while it wasn’t so in the past (see people pointing out that nobody held political discussions about say Gold Box games, Realms of Arkania, Thief, X-COM and other classics, RPGs and other genres, simply because devs were making games back in the day, not political propaganda pieces like they do nowadays, with exceptions such as Underrail etc).

Political shit pushed by contemporary corporate devs (and obviously some indies too) is a direct cause of contemporary games being shit. This goes to shit writing, shit character design, retarded in-game messaging etc but it also speaks to deeper issues such as “diversity hiring” (see the picture of the dev team for Witcher I and CP2077). All of these things are highly political and if you set up a forum where you cannot point these things out, you simply cannot get to the core of things and the discussion will miss an important element. Saying that there is no argument to be made for why political dimension is important in discussion about contemporary gaming is deeply disingenuous.

There is however one more point worth addressing. I understand that some people in charge of the Codex are sitting there, thinking “sheeeeeit nigga if only we could get normies posting here the devs would show up and we could get in on some of that sweet Dorrito pope action like Cocktaku and NeoFAG.”

Smart idea, right? Wrong.

In the USA, people are losing their jobs right now over Facebook posts from like 2008. To an average SJW retard (ie most of the “gaming industry” and “gaming journalism” right now), RPG Codex (and any other “free speech” forum out there) is basically Stormfront. To these people, anyone associated with this forum (let alone fucking admins) is literally Hitler. Even Infinitron is literally Hitler. Most ironically, even the fucking cucks that post here (and there is a surprising number of them) are literally Hitler too.

If you think that you can somehow “reinvent” this site and compete with the likes of Retardera, you have a next thing coming. The cucks would immediately point out the relation to the “nazi forum” and they would not even have to get screenshots from GD, just a few average posts lets say from the CP2077 or TLoU2 threads would do. If, lets say Infinitron, tried to get a job as a respectable “journalist,” he would likely get doxed (probably by someone from the Dex itself) as a “nazi forum” admin (“So you had admin powers on a forum where people used N-word? Eh we will get back to you about that contract soon…”) and would get cancelled in about five seconds.

The other thing is that nobody has a reason to get involved with just another sanitised vidya forum where saying “nigger” or “fag” gets you banned for life. There are tons of sites like that, they are already established and they don’t have “dark history” hanging above them.

So this hypothetical “get rich quick” scheme will most likely just ruin the site and the admins wont get shit. Alternatively, they could keep catering to the audience that they cultivated over the years and maintain the niche they have.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Ok, if we're not having a split, then how about they bring back Tacticular Cancer instead. With an influx in tactical games and their rising popularity maybe it'd get more activity again.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
In all seriousness I don't actually understand why we're discussing this at all.

Is it financial? What is it? While it's a convenient angle to say that Infinitron wants to build his empire - is that really it?

As I've already pointed out in the shoutbox, if the Codex was actually mainstream it would have been sunk by JF getting fired by his employer. The reputation that RPGCodex attracts is exactly what makes it sustainable and able to weather bad press.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I heard something in the shoutbox about asfasdf trying to raise money to upgrade the site.

Maybe this is related. If they need money for upgrades, they should just say so.

Vatnik Wumao
Now that's some cope.
Yeah, I'm sure that there aren't plenty of users who won't remain engaged with the 'dex if their reasons to interact with the forum will be limited to posting once every blue moon when there's some concrete thing they wish to ask pertaining to a particular game and/or reading through threads that deal with development news.

The 'dex has a loyal and active userbase precisely because it functions akin to social media. Take away everything not related to gaming and enforce draconian depolitization policies and all you'll be left with is a mediocre generalist RPG platform for which there are better alternatives depending on the games you personally care about (i.e. you like game X, you go to the forum most closely associated with game X's devs).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom