Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
why buy a house near where you worked after you retire? plus he mentioned several times how he doesn't like living there
Because he's an idiot. Obviously, you don't retire in southern California... you save up and move inland away from the wildfires to cheaper real estate. Not having a house that he can sell does mean he'll have to actively save instead of relying on the proceeds of the sale, but it's not rocket science. (And he could have bought a house 5-10 years ago for a lot cheaper, but was no doubt busy talking about bikes and craft beer or whatever.)

Bulo

Scholar
Poor Josh is probably just struggling with the prospect of spending the duration of his retirement answering questions about a post-apocalyptic role-playing game to which he provided only an incomplete direction

I suspect that, upon their rediscovery, the sustainable wooden posts of his deathbed will be seen to be replete with so many demented scratchings, wherein each textual tangent would serve to unhill the forgotten lore of such carnal creatures of yore as "fampyrs" and "xaurips"

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
There are various random games industry people in that thread going "well I kinda like working", "sure, stocks and other investments" and "oh yeah, I lived within my means, first house at 26". Meanwhile Joshua Eric Sawyer, well-known and well-paid Design Director for one of the industry's premier game studios, awash with Microsoft cash, is going "retirement? lmao". I don't like extrapolating people's circumstances from twitter posts, but what the fuck? Sawyer's problem does not lie in the system.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Not sure if he's being willfully dense or what, but I know people who make $40-50k a year with a house, family, and land.

Just picked a random home in north TX:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1134-Sicily-Dr-Garland-TX-75040/27007849_zpid/

Here's what $500,000 can get you:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3117-Knightsbridge-Ln-Garland-TX-75043/96496994_zpid/

$335,000 in Allen, TX, which is a very affluent area. Two stories with a giant yard:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1202-Meadowbend-Ct-Allen-TX-75002/53100565_zpid/

For $1.2m, which he said would provide something livable for him; this is in probably the most affluent area of north TX.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2916-Beauchamp-Dr-Plano-TX-75093/26655881_zpid/

sser

Arcane
Developer
Well, yeah, it's Texas. That's why more and more people are moving there.

Indeed. But the implication was that nobody can buy a home or retire without being unionized (strange assertion on both ends). The answer is to get outside the SoCal bubble. It's just so daft to live next to a bunch of globetrotting millionaires in an extremely low-trust community and project the experiences there onto the rest of the country. I mean that area of the nation is about as bad as it gets. It'd be like living in Miami Beach and wondering how one can go about affording a yacht in this economy. Just zero perspective.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Neketaka = Titikaka
It's actually from
maxresdefault.jpg

Artyoan

Arbiter
Isn't he making 200k a year? He could max out his 401k with less than 10% of his salary.

He works with numbers and systems his whole life but never mastered the Jewish secret of compound interest growth. For shame. Its not like investments forever chain him to the hellhole of the California wasteland.

Artyoan

Arbiter
I came here to discuss this, but reading the last few pages was a much more horrifying experience.
The perk/attribute idea is a good one imo. I had the same idea since perks tend to be the most interesting choices. Easy to combine the two by having each point put into an attribute also have an associated individual perk aside from just stat increases. I even weaved a rough spreadsheet for it out of pure autism.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
he has a crippling methamphetamine addiction

This is an interesting theory. I wonder though if someone could enjoy riding a bike on meth. Maybe they'd just get frustrated that they can't go 30mph.

the Discord website

It's that time of the morning when I get reminded of what happened last night and I'm pretty sure it was 100% me talking about my cats.

KVVRR

Learned
he could probably buy 2-3 houses in 3rd world and live out his days in a coastal town while shitposting about game balance
I can confirm this, dude could literally live like a king around here with proper savings and wisely spent money. Downside is of course living on the third world, but is that really any different than living in california?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom