Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Let's play Door Kickers -- top-down tacticool SWAT team sim -- Extreme Police Brutality Edition

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Name : Josselin Beaumont
CallSign : Professional
Class : Pointman > Assaulter, as needed
Weapons : MP7//Mark 23
Portrait :
Something that look like this:
professional1981.jpg

Campaign: suits and ski masks

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Name: Calvin Ryan
Callsign: White Knight
Preferred Class: Shield if available, Breacher if you need it/don't want a Shield
Primary Weapon: KSG (when Breacher)
Secondary Weapon: HK45
Portrait: My forum avatar, or use this:
White-Knight.png
White Knight.png
. Or use whatever you want.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Mission One: Hostage Situation, West Street with Merriam

All right team, looks like we've got enough people on board to get started. I completed the first mission prior to baud and Kalarion joining up, but they'll be added with the utmost haste.

Based on popular vote I picked "The Cell" campaign, where we'll be tasked with thwarting the evildoings of a terrorist organization. Our enemy's origins and motives are heretofore unknown, so insert your preferred bad guys of choice.

The campaign is only 7 missions so perhaps we can take on Suits and Ski Masks next, as long as I don't get bored with the game you guys are enjoying the LP.

Ironman is tempting but I am going to leave it unchecked, otherwise this would be a really short LP (you'll see what I mean soon).

However, I will be imposing a "soft" iron man rule where we won't be reloading just on account of casualties. As long as the mission succeeds, we keep moving forward. Campaigns do enforce permadeath so if the entire squad is wiped, it's game over.

The campaign throws us straight into the fire, starting with a hostage standoff. We're looking at 8 hostages and 10 or 11 bad guys crammed into this small map, so expect things to get rowdy in a hurry.

I think in the interest of formatting, I'll make a couple of sections for each update -- one where I document my failed plans, followed by another that details the winning strategy.

Failures

The game allows us to deploy 6 troopers for this mission, so Astolfo and Forge Gloyd will be sitting this one out. I don't particularly like how the game artificially limits how many guys we're able to use on mission, but there's nothing we can do about it.

VYV71bJ.png

We've got two possible entrances to the building -- a main entrance in the SW corner, and a side entrance to the NW. Notice the south wall of the building is lined with windows -- our troops can see and shoot through those, but so can the enemies, naturally.

The top entrance is locked, so I've positioned Grom there to blast it open with his shotgun. ValeVelKale will back him up, and they'll proceed along the north hallway together for a bit before splitting up, with Grom entering the main room and clearing the bathrooms, and Vale continuing on to clear the eastern half of the map before making her way down to the SE corner.

Meanwhile at the front entrance, our main raid party -- Parsimonious cook, The Auk, boot, and Ghulgathas -- will be coming in hot to clear the main room. Cook will cover the NW corner and northern wall with boot guarding his flank, and Auk will cover the east while Ghul proceeds to the SE corner. Once both Ghul and Vale are in position, I'll call go-code Alpha so they can throw flashbangs and clear the final room in the SE.

Here's what that looks like on paper.

ghDSxp7.png

All right, here goes nothing. 3... 2... 1...

KkDPXGz.png

Parsimonious cook and Auk kick the front door, the terrorists cry out in alarm, gunshots fly... AND...!

... a hostage is immediately shot, ending the mission.

A1zS3Cu.png

Hmm... it appears the terrorists are queued up to shoot hostages as soon as they spot us. No biggie, I just adjust the plan so that Cook and Auk flashbang the room upon entry.

z1txIUT.png

gKnDE6R.png

:prosper:

Well, we made it two seconds that time, but obviously this plan isn't going to work. There's no time to deploy flashbangs because soon as that front door is kicked open, the terrorists open fire and hostages are inevitably going to catch bullets.

I figure the devs put those windows on the southern wall of the building for a reason, and redeploy Ghul there to peek through. This unfortunately requires me to redraw the entire plan from scratch.

hmPZGlz.png

This goes a little better, and Ghul has an angle that allows him to cap off a terrorist or two. But we're still not able to keep all the hostages alive.

vPt73jR.png

XX8Fwpk.png

Time to rethink things.
Success

I think the ticket here is to coordinate a strike on the main room from three sides.

I reshuffle the deployment and place the Auk and Grom on the side entrance. I am hoping Auk can use his lockpick to silently unlock the door, and his suppressed MP7 can quickly clear out any trouble in the hallway without raising the alarm. Once they reach the northern entrance to the main chamber, Auk can throw a flashbang and stun the guys in the back of the main room.

I move ValeVelKal below the building, just outside the window. She'll throw a second flashbang to stun the guys by the front door -- it's quite a long toss, but the game seems to indicate that it will work -- then immediately move up and shoot through the window to cover the east side of the room.

That leaves Parsimonious cook, boot, and Ghulgathas to bust through the main entrance. I place boot in front of the door, which is a big no-no, but in this case it should be okay. The terrorists won't know we're here until the flashbangs go off, and by then it will be too late.

Here's the plan all drawn up. I'll use go-code Alpha to synchronize the flashbangs, followed a second later by go-code Bravo which will send in the main strike team.

TLtX9rJ.png

Auk is able to open the lock without alerting the bad guys. So far so good...

MJUAcDg.png

Luckily there are no guards in the northern hallway. Auk and Grom move into position, and we're ready to get this show started.

2nCiI5H.png

Auk catches a bullet as he opens the door to the main room, but is able to quickly deal with the threat. The flashbangs go off in near perfect sync, and the assault team bursts through the front door.

66N4y53.png

The scene is chaos for a brief moment, but the team puts in work and the terrorists drop like flies. The main room is cleared and somehow none of the hostages are hit.

4UA929G.png

A terrorist attacks from the SE corner but Vale was covering the door and takes him down with ease.

XlRhL9p.png

Auk and Grom clear the rooms on the east side with no contacts, and move into position to assault the final room in the SE corner. After a quick reload of his hand cannon, boot takes his position on the opposing door.

There should just be one more bad guy standing right where the flashbang is set to go off, since the rest of the building has been cleared.

1wZ3cMI.png

Auk drops in a flashbang and boot finishes off the last terrorist with his 44 Magnum. The mission is over in just under a minute, even though it feels way longer in the heat of the moment.

xa0P7m3.png

Detailed mission results. The Auk is wounded and will be unavailable for the next mission, but everyone else made it through unscathed. Great shot placement from the team, especially boot, who recorded 5 kills in 5 shots with his revolver.

BMw5CK4.png
And that's all she wrote for the first mission! All feedback is welcome.

Last edited:

Zanzoken

Arcane
Kalarion

Dossier said:
An excellent marksman, however he put in a formal request to be allowed to carry a sword in the field. Becomes unable to communicate when in the presence of women.

8DzMiv4.png

Hope this portrait is acceptable. I would've used your Codex avatar but it's too low-res. Happy to change it if you'd like something different. :)

Also unfortunately the HK45 isn't available for the Shield class, so I gave you a 44 Magnum to match boot. Revolvers are good for shield users anyway because there's no slide movement like on an auto-loader.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
"
Extreme Police Brutality Edition"

Reload

=> Do not compute :).

I know, that's because you have no choice for a mission failed, unlike if 4 of us had gone down

vazha

Arcane
Here to serve. Gimme a shotgun or a winchester. Let me go boop at them at point blank range. This is the way.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I haven't played the game, after starting, you can't alter your plan, right?

Actually you can, the game is RTwP and entirely flexible on how you want to play. You can pause and completely redraw your plan at any time, or play without a plan entirely and just give orders on the fly.

Personally I feel drawing up a single plan at the start of the mission and then sticking with it is more fun and the :obviously: way to play. I think pausing each second to micro every little detail would remove a lot of the challenge.

"
Extreme Police Brutality Edition"

Reload

=> Do not compute :).

I know, that's because you have no choice for a mission failed, unlike if 4 of us had gone down

Haha agreed, but I promise as long as the game doesn't force a reload then we will just be accepting whatever consequences happen.

Here to serve. Gimme a shotgun or a winchester. Let me go boop at them at point blank range. This is the way.

We're full up now but I will keep you in reserve for the next campaign. All campaigns have permadeath so I'm sure there will be some open slots in the near future.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As a true defender of m'ladies I feel it is important that they see the real me. The portrait stays.

My controller and Mountain Dew pistol and shield are ready!

PS: pls approve request for sword

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't played the game, after starting, you can't alter your plan, right?

Actually you can, the game is RTwP and entirely flexible on how you want to play. You can pause and completely redraw your plan at any time, or play without a plan entirely and just give orders on the fly.

Personally I feel drawing up a single plan at the start of the mission and then sticking with it is more fun and the :obviously: way to play. I think pausing each second to micro every little detail would remove a lot of the challenge.

I agree, that seems the best way to play

Zanzoken

Arcane
Mission Two: Suspected Sleeper Cell, Waterford Apartments

Our second mission is to raid a terrorist sleeper cell inside an apartment building.

In addition to pacifying any hostiles we run across, we're also tasked with securing several evidence items scattered throughout the building. This is more complex than it seems, because the enemy employs several "bag men" whose sole occupation is to destroy evidence as soon as they know we're on the premises. In order to intercept them we'll have to move our guys through the level much quicker than we'd probably like, which creates opportunities for the terrorists to catch us off guard.

I've selected boot and Professional for this mission, since as Pointmen they are our two fastest guys, with Rogue and Kikeshreck rounding out the team of 4 operatives.

The mission actually went off almost perfectly on the first try, so there'll just be a single set of screenshots this time.

We'll start by having boot unlock the door, which makes him first through. He'll be responsible for clearing the main hallway, then getting in position to assault the big room in the northwest. Professional will enter next, make a quick foray into the kitchen on the left to grab the evidence, then he and boot will flashbang the NW room and secure the evidence there.

Meanwhile, Rogue will move in to guard the main hallway against any terrorists who may enter from the right to attack us. Kikeschreck will quickly clear the south bathroom, then place a breaching charge on the small bottom bedroom to blow the door. The door isn't locked, but the fact that there is enough space on either side of it to hide a terrorist is troubling... if Kike kicks the door and there are two terrorists waiting for him point blank, he's a dead man. But a breaching charge should stun / kill them.

Once all that's done, the team will rendezvous in the main corridor to assault the top big bedroom and gather the last piece of evidence, and Rogue will clear the north bathroom. And that should be a wrap.

Here's the plan all drawn up.

l3oE2bC.png

The team makes a clean entry, and as planned, Professional hangs a left into the kitchen to go for the first evidence item. He finds two bag men, and one of them immediately makes a break to destroy the evidence. It's a shame you can't just put a bullet in these fuckers.

oa8Il1C.png

Meanwhile, Kikeshreck takes out the first hostile we've encountered, who was lying in wait in the south bathroom.

vxUNDr7.png

Professional secures the first piece of evidence. We need to arrest the bag men to complete the mission (that's the blue icon that popped up) but that can wait. Kikeschreck begins placing the breaching charge.

The plan is working but the bag men are moving faster than we planned for. Rogue notices one entering the top bedroom, and boot has eyes on one already destroying evidence in the living room but is waiting for me to call go-code Alpha before he moves in.

sXTfPgr.png

I realize we're going to have to speed things up, even though it's a risk. I call go-code Alpha ahead of schedule, which means boot will have to secure the living room by himself, as well as go-code Charlie, which prompts Rogue to head for the north bathroom and bedroom.

QmL74du.png

A second hostile is waiting in the living room, but boot blows him away. The bag man is stunned by boot's flashbang and temporarily stops destroying the evidence, with Professional now hot on his heels.

Kike has his breaching charge in place and is ready to storm the south bedroom, while Rogue secures the north bathroom and moves toward the top bedroom.

sVDWKva.png

I give the order to blow the breaching charge, but the bottom bedroom is empty. No problem, it was the right move, given the risk. Kike moves to secure the third piece of evidence.

YhXrfwl.png

Professional captures the bag man in the living room, so that piece of evidence is safe for now. Across the room, boot is in position to clear the store room on the far end.

Rogue moves into the top bedroom on his own, which is risky but necessary given our time constraints. Luckily there are no hostiles, only a bag man who is almost finished destroying the last piece of evidence. Rogue moves in quickly to stop him.

ZiNFoXr.png

The store room is empty, and so is the back room on the eastern part of the building. I feel like we must have missed a terrorist somewhere, but an additional sweep of the house turns up nothing.

All that's left is to secure the last of the evidence and arrest the remaining bag men, and this one's in the books.

TLYceZZ.png

We got lucky with how lightly guarded this place was, especially given that I had to accelerate the plan to catch up with the bag men. But as it stands, the mission succeeded with flying colors.

hzoQk6r.png

Kikeschreck and boot recorded kills, and there were no injuries.

gS717Kn.png
Luck has been on our side so far... will be interesting to see if that continues.

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nice one!

Its a shame that the game doesnt really offer opportunities to arrest armed suspects (IIRC basically only the bagmen and VIP suspects will surrender), it would be more in line with the SWAT setting if you had a chance to force anyone to give up by using flashbangs, tazers and such (IMO the military setting in DoorKickers 2 is more fitting for the way the game plays).

In any case, this mission went as good as it could have, lets see if it lasts.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
How did I miss this one?? Sign me up!

Name
Niels Bohr

Callsign
H.D

Preferred Class
  • Breacher

Preferred Weapons

HfPZhzQ.png

U0QQwtG.png

Portrait
  • Game Portrait: Distinguished Gentleman

Zanzoken

Arcane
Mission Three: Busting Execution Cells, A.K.E. Auto Works

The third mission in our campaign is as simple as it gets: infiltrate a terrorist safehouse and eliminate all hostiles.

The game has allotted us 8 troops for this mission, which seems like overkill given that the briefing only indicates 5 enemies. But who knows, maybe there's a surprise in store for us. The mission objectives favor raw firepower over speed, so boot and Professional will be sitting this one out.

Our venue appears to be a small mechanic's garage, with several cars parked haphazardly in the main area and a few rooms in the back.

I managed to succeed again on the first try, so here's the synopsis.

The plan is set to proceed in four phases. To begin, the team will get in position using the left-most car for cover while White Knight squeezes between the car and the wall. In such a tight space, his shield should make him nigh invulnerable.

When go-code Alpha is called, White Knight will proceed around the front of the car to clear the small docking bay, while Grom leads the bulk of the team to take cover behind the nearby truck. Parsimonious cook and Rogue will circle around back of the truck and scout the main area for enemies.

Everyone will hold here except for White Knight, who will continue into the second, larger docking bay and clear out behind the parked sedan. He'll then maneuver around the east docking bay wall and clear the blind spot behind it, before reaching his final position behind the car on the far right. Once White Knight is far enough along his route to cover the team's advance, I'll call go-code Bravo and move everyone across the main area and into their room-clearing positions.

On go-code Charlie the team will launch a final, synchronized push to assault all the rooms on the eastern half of the building. There are some tricky angles to navigate but hopefully we'll get through it with no casualties.

Here's what all that looks like on paper.

q2xgtLh.png

The mission gets off to a quiet start, and the team is able to reach their first checkpoints without incident.

zSG8Nyg.png

As soon as I call go-code Alpha, the situation instantly heats up. Grom rounds the corner and immediately perforates a bad guy with his shotgun.

ovVbnKF.png

Rogue takes his vantage point behind the truck and takes out two enemies coming down the stairs, with more hot on their heels.

White Knight is jumped by a terrorist from near point-blank range and absorbs a salvo of machine gun fire, but his shield holds up and he smokes the bad guy with his big iron.

xsNhjfC.png

More bad guys enter but Rogue and Parsimonious cook quickly stitch them up.

UTAZNT1.png

A third wave of bad guys emerges from the back room. Rogue and Cook manage to cover them, but this time Rogue absorbs multiple hits and is seriously wounded.

qfYVtmN.png

White Knight runs into a foul misogynist camped in the corner behind the right-most car and dispatches him with a 44 magnum slug. I had a feeling there would be a guy hiding there, because it gives a clear line of ambush on anyone going up the stairs.

With that would-be trap evaded, it's now safe to advance the rest of the team, so I call go-code Bravo to move everyone into assault positions.

BrtXie8.png

See the corpse by the left rear of the truck? Apparently a bad guy was camped there, just a cunt hair away from Rogue and Cook, for who knows how long.

Extremely lucky that he didn't manage to kill one (or both) of them, or shoot White Knight in the back. Bad guys can hide in the tiniest of spaces sometimes.

tHtXJMO.png

Kikeschreck is ambushed by a bad guy lurking in the south break room, but manages to neutralize the threat without getting hit himself.

6f7rbOT.png

With everyone in their final positions, I say a quick prayer and call go-code Charlie. ValeVelKal catches a bullet while entering the L-shaped room on the right, but survives thanks to Ghulgothas who quickly takes the bad guy down.

The Auk gets the final kill of the mission, outdueling a terrorist who was hiding on the eastern wall of the break room.

pNCwxkh.png

And that's a wrap, mission accomplished.

GYdiA1b.png

Two wounded, but thankfully no KIA. A solid team effort with everyone recording a kill except for Vale, who took one for the team (literally).

P5D94J7.png
Azira thanks for joining up! We're at capacity right now but I'll keep you in reserve for the next campaign, along with vazha.

I'm honestly surprised we've made it this far with no casualties. I think my plans have been solid, but we've also been quite lucky. I don't expect it will last forever.

Last edited:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Highest XP. 2 kills. Toiling away on the sidelines so the jocks get all the glory. Just another day killin it on the internet in the garage for m'ladies. They'll notice me any day now.
All you bitches talkin shit in the locker room and stuff, meanwhile I'm studying the blade shield. My time is coming soon boys :smug:

Zanzoken what did you think of the class's performance overall this mission? I remember you saying you never bothered with Shields before. Has this made you reconsider future strategy or anything like that?

Zanzoken

Arcane
Highest XP. 2 kills. Toiling away on the sidelines so the jocks get all the glory. Just another day killin it on the internet in the garage for m'ladies. They'll notice me any day now.
All you bitches talkin shit in the locker room and stuff, meanwhile I'm studying the blade shield. My time is coming soon boys :smug:

just a small teaser of what you have to look forward to

1uD9X.png

Zanzoken what did you think of the class's performance overall this mission? I remember you saying you never bothered with Shields before. Has this made you reconsider future strategy or anything like that?

Absolutely, the Shield guy was really the cornerstone of my plan for the last mission. I could've done it without him, but it would've been riskier and required a lot more gimmicks (flashbangs and stuff) to clear those odd angles.

The class has its drawbacks but for missions where we have to navigate a lot of tight corridors and don't have to be too worried about time -- i.e. like the one we just completed -- it's pretty clutch.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom