Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
so you can call the Western market better if you want.

In past, I "bashed" a lot of JRPG's, but now changed my mind. Is not their fault. They are just different.I just don't like then cuz I have a deep passion for Magic and Firearms. Most JRPG's tends to not allow this class fantasies upon the player or when allow, is in a very "limited" and lackluster way. They also tend to not care about making things in gameplay great as they are in lore/cutscene/wathever. IMO game mechanics should reinforce the setting and "player fantasy", not goes against it.

Amusingly the series where this guy:
VE9JQCa.jpg

comes from might be a good fit for you then. Gridlocked, so guns are really strong due to massive range, and mages can easily break the game.

Don't worry the first game has a more grounded artstyle. It is Final Fantasy Tactics, the tactical rpg with a similar class system to Final Fantasy V I recommended you.
qWm1sMA.png

But yeah a disconnect between gameplay and story exists in every JRPG, even in the grounded ones.
Oddly Japanese developers do not really consider immersion a thing, which is an odd market hole for the country that invented a literal immersion genre in Isekai.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Japanzers didn't invent Isekai. They just turned it into a local cliche

That argument is mostly semantical, since the core question is if the modern Isekai and the much older Portal Fantasy are the same genre.
I'd say no, modern Isekai has clear genre tropes which seperate it from older Portal Fantasy, the whole RPG influence and harem stuff and all. Also the fact that returning to your own world is not really a drive for any character motivation or drama, and the backstory in the real world is usually relegated to half a page since noone cares about it.
Portal Fantasy is as old as writing tho, it is a quite interesting question who came up with it. Before the British picked it back up again in 1800, the Greeks had stories with clear portal fantasy elements same as the ancient Chinese and the Indians.
I have read some interesting takes the the Sumerians were already writing portal fantasy.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
semantical

Isekai = going into another world. Digimon is the best isekai animu and SAO is the worst.

--------------------

Now using semantics to trigger people. Any RPG where you travel to other world is a isekai RPG. nwn HotU? nwn2 MotB? Ravenloft : Strahd possession? Going to Feyworld in Kingmaker? All isekais. Spelljammer : Pirates of the Realmspace is isekai too.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Isekai is shit.

KonoSuba, Drifters and Tanya the Evil disagrees with you. Isekai is a shithole with few gold coins inside.

Thanks for turning this thread into a weeaboo fest

Successful trigged. hu3hu3hu3 just kidding.

-------------

To trigger 5e fans.

My can your 5e disintegrate do that???

hLW9U31.png

My 2e spell and psionc power can!!!

Last edited:

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
While we're at it, Mary Skelter - Finale is going to be released in the West this autumn. Great dungeon crawler with neat mechanics and superb characters.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
drivethrurpg said:

About the Product Historian

This history of this product was researched and written by Shannon Appelcline, the author of Designers & Dragons - a history of the roleplaying industry told one company at a time. Please feel free to mail corrections, comments, and additions to shannon.appelcline@gmail.com.

We (Wizards) recognize that some of the legacy content available on this website does not reflect the values of the Dungeons & Dragons franchise today. Some older content may reflect ethnic, racial, and gender prejudice that were commonplace in American society at that time. These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today. This content is presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed. Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is a strength, and we strive to make our D&D products as welcoming and inclusive as possible. This part of our work will never end.

source : https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17054/Q1-Queen-of-the-Demonweb-Pits-1e?filters=44827_0_0_0_0

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
The best dungeon crawler series of all time is Etrian Odyssey and most portraits are of little girls, some of them wearing heavy armor.

Genuinely interested in trying this series out, but the way some people seriously and unironically praise it seems rather odd. Are the games THAT good or is it just Nintendoniggers being pathetic as always and praising them to high heaven just because they're DS/3DS exclusives?

ADL

Prophet
All MMOs should be level scaled because developing entire zones that you'll skip while leveling only to return as a demi-god that one shots everything is retarded. Also no one likes having to tell their friends that they're gonna have to play 500 hours to play with them before they get to the "good stuff".

Ideally, remove leveling entirely or make it super short like Guild Wars did.

Corvinus

Arcane
drivethrurpg said:
Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is a strength, and we strive to make our D&D products as welcoming and inclusive as possible. This part of our work will never end.

I thought that Dungeons and Dragons was a game about perilous adventure, not a school book about the teachings of the devil. Anyone who is still buying that utter crap is funding it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom