Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What if we split the Codex into two sites: RPG Codex + Political Codex?

What do you think about splitting the politics out to a separate stand-alone website + forums?

• THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA

Votes: 137 37.8%
  • Over my dead body

Votes: 133 36.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 92 25.4%

• Total voters

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
We should stick with my position, pretty much. Ban hateful posts, like "all niggers should be hanged", since it's christian.

I disagree, I think we should ban all users who want to ban all non-illegal/non-spam posts, since they're advocating against free speech and that's no bueno in my book.

Free speech shouldnt be considered in absolute terms.

Gastrick

Cipher
Says the guy who joined in 2020. Seriously. You are a great case-in-point for everything that's gone wrong with this forum. Do you even play video games? Or did you just join because your "initial impressions were that you could say anything here" (your words, not mine).
I joined for two reasons. The first was that CRPGs are my favorite subgenre and the second for that reason.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think some light moderation to actually diminish the constant personal attacks and streams of vitriol that contribute little to the conversation would actually go a long way to creating better discussions in the political subforum. If all someone is doing is constantly attacking and insulting people they disagree with in an attempt to drive them out of the conversation, while contributing absolutely nothing to the conversation themselves, I wouldn't be upset if they were moderated in some way.

I don't even know if moderation is necessary as the first step. As I said in another thread, as an experiment, we should simply cut all button ratings in GD/politics. I'd personally be fine with cutting all button ratings, forum wide, but I do think that including them in the video game subs might incentivize people to post there more.

The button system incentivizes extremism and low effort posting. It's also a major mechanism of group think enforcement via carrots on a stick (approval ratings) and sticks (disapproval ratings). Cut the button system and see how it affects the general culture of the forum. I don't think it would change things overnight. It'd probably be a gradual and slow shift, but I do think it would cut back on some of the main incentives for much of the bad behavior and group think, without having to outright censor anything.

I have been against brofists, and later buttons, from the beginning. It makes people less genuine in their posts. Even if it is just brofists, it causes people to adjust what they say, and how they say it, for the approval and validation of others. It also causes people to partly judge a post based on the ratings, and not the actual content of it.

A very very sad thing. I don't understand what was really gained by brofists and ratings, other than making the codex to be more of a social media experience.

I see your point and agree.

Button ratings do tend to emphasize a style of posting that garners "likes"

I could see there being more inclined discussions if we went back to only brofists.

I enjoy the button parade, but it does seem to be affecting discussions.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Side being in English and banning Russian or Chinese IPs would ensure its used as propaganda weapon against your opponents like all those Free Europe, Voice of Russia, Belsat, etc... NATO sponsored ''free'' media are Comrade, if I was Autocrat of Russia and China I would ban Codex as well its no brainer especially when you see where this hole free doom of speech brought the west Comrade.
Let's assume that Центр Э operatives suddenly become fluent in English:

Faggot bashing would be ignored - nothing wrong with that.
Nigger bashing would be mostly ignored - no one cares about niggers.
Jew and Mooslim bashing will bring Codex down faster than it takes you to say Székesfehérvár

Still proves my point that Russia is more free country than any NATO occupied Cuckrope shithole is Comrade.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
You're the one arguing for the benefits of increased moderation and I'm the one trying to silence you? :lol:

I'm personally not in favor of moderation. I don't think that the racism and extreme politicization of the forum are good, nor do I think they are helping its main purpose (to be a video game forum). However, I also don't think that moderating it would work. Partly because I think it would destroy the ethos of what Codex is, and partly because attempting to moderate Codex would be a near impossible task. The internet needs a place that isn't moderated, where people can have important discussions without being shut down. Codex used to be this place, but I don't think it is any longer, but that's a cultural issue, rather than a moderation issue.

Personally, I just wish that the forum could return to what it was when I joined. It was totally unmoderated, but from that, there was a sense of joy and trolling and good natured anarchy in its culture. In the past 6 years, however, shit's just gotten really fucking ugly here and it's risking destroying the forum's main purpose. To be fair, shit has gotten really ugly everywhere on the internet, not just here. So I don't know if this is Codex's problem, as much as just the times we find ourselves in. It's also become a pernicious hive-mind that shouts down dissenting viewpoints, and only attracts new members of a similar mindset, which risks turning it into, as I said, merely the mirror image of ResetEra, rather than a truly open forum for discussion. There's way less diversity of opinion here than when I first joined.

TLDR: I do think that we can and should try to de-incentivize bad behavior, and there are many ways to do that that do not involve outright censorship or moderation. I don't know if the mods are actually serious about that, though, or if they are just trolling. It's always impossible to tell here.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

Indeed. For example, I consider that people who say "Free speech shouldnt be considered in absolute terms." don't deserve the right of free speech (on this website, at least) and must be immediately IP-banned.

Why do you post here, Lambach? Is it because you want to discuss video games? Or is it because the lax moderation allows you to shout racial slurs whenever you want? You are one of the most loudly racist and political people on this forum. I confess I have zero idea what your gaming preferences are, but I know your political preferences and opinions on races very well.

To be fair, the same question could easily be asked of me (why I post here). So feel free to ask it if you wish. Or don't, if you don't wish.

A horse of course

It's also become a pernicious hive-mind that shouts down dissenting viewpoints,

You can't "shout down" dissenting viewpoints on an internet forum for fuck's sake. It doesn't matter how many people call you a retarded bitch, you can still poast whatever you want.

and only attracts new members of a similar mindset, which risks turning it into, as I said, merely the mirror image of ResetEra, rather than a truly open forum for discussion.

Absolutely zero equivalence between a community that outlaws dissent and one that does not. There are no indications whatsoever that the Codex is going to start banning people for saying "gender is a social construct" or defending unionization, or removing all threads about a specific game or developer because they have pronouns in their bio.

Every time we have this thread, you, felipepe, or one of the other leftists wheel out this same tired bullshit.

Lambach

Arcane
It's also become a pernicious hive-mind that shouts down dissenting viewpoints, and only attracts new members of a similar mindset, which risks turning it into, as I said, merely the mirror image of ResetEra, rather than a truly open forum for discussion.

No, this is just your personal bias speaking. When I stroll through political or other non-vidya discussions, I'm actually pretty amazed at how many people post stuff that might as well have been copy-pasted straight from some Blue Checkmark on Twitter or some liberal circle-jerk subreddit. Yes, there is a certain majority of opinion and no, those who are in the minority and never being actively shut down other than being called names (and that minority isn't even a small one, there are always more than enough people to challenge the majority without being shouted down and buried under the majority's posts).

No, unless the powers-at-be here start banning people all over the place for disagreeing with them personally, this will never be a "mirror image" of ResetEra.

darkpatriot See, this is the kind of post I'm talking about. To suggest that this place "risks" turning into one where you're banned for posts that moderators personally disagree with even by 0.1% is a typical example of a post that is just pathetic drama-mongering, ridiculous hyperbole and in no way worth discussing even in the slightest, a post that is just pure mental diarrhea and where the creator of said post deserves to be relentlessly mocked by everyone.

Which is why I would normally do, but I wanted to demonstrate a point. :M

Gastrick

Cipher
Now that I think of it, this is my first time seeing Correct_Carlo.

carlosfag.png

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Die in a river of fire and piss.

In modern society, we have fundamental rights that colide with each other all the time. So, rights should be relativized under certain conditions. This is what happens in civilized world. All jurisprudence and legal doctrines are based on this.

But since you are not from law, I forgive your ignorance.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Die in a river of fire and piss.

In modern society, we have fundamental rights that colide with each other all the time. So, rights should be relativized under certain conditions. This is what happens in civilized world. All jurisprudence and legal doctrines are based on this.

But since you are not from law, I forgive your ignorance.

Tell us what are those other fundamental rights Codex is encroaching up on but keep in mind that snorting coke, parting and showing your Dick picks is not one of them (yet) even in liberast west.

Unsurprisingly it's mostly the "I hate this place but I keep coming back" types and progressives that are in favor of the split. I wonder what could the next step possibly be.
thinking.png

Maybe disable the buttons as an experiment to see if it "improves the quality of discourse" on the site, since I've also noticed this is what bothers them the most. Apparently you need very thick skin to deal with a smiley under your post notifying you that someone out there thinks you wrote something retarded on the internet.

Lambach

Arcane
Is it because you want to discuss video games?

Yes.

Or is it because the lax moderation allows you to shout racial slurs whenever you want?

Yes.

You are one of the most loudly racist and political people on this forum.

Well I should bloody hope so. :smug:

I confess I have zero idea what your gaming preferences are

Then that is the fault of your failing memory, because my memory is good enough that I remember the two of us specifically discussing Sekiro probably more than a full year ago (or thereabouts). Yes, I post a lot more in non-vidya threads because there aren't all that many worthwhile games to play currently and for the past several years. Just off the top of my head, I've been in the D:OS threads, Pathfinder ones, classic Infinity Engine game ones, the various Bloodlines threads, hell, even the Pillars of Eternity threads and most recently in the Devil May Cry 5 one etc (feel free to browse if you don't believe me).

Funnily enough, can't recall seeing you in most of those.

To be fair, the same question could easily be asked of me (why I post here). So feel free to ask it if you wish. Or don't, if you don't wish.

Yeah, yeah, I remember the "spent a couple years just playing RPGs in my mom's basement and finding the Codex before turning my life around" story. Thankfully, my memory is still pretty great and I don't need Roguey-like .txt's to remember these details if I've read them even once.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Unsurprisingly it's mostly the "I hate this place but I keep coming back" types and progressives that are in favor of the split. I wonder what could the next step possibly be.
thinking.png

Maybe disable the buttons as an experiment to see if it "improves the quality of discourse" on the site, since I've also noticed this is what bothers them the most. Apparently you need very thick skin to deal with a smiley under your post notifying you that someone out there thinks you wrote something retarded on the internet.

I recall once when DU removed the brofists in one of his annual trolling campaigns. I believe this was in the brief period before he implemented the current button system. People in GD, especially, had a fucking conniption. It completely short-circuited their approach to posting and the forum.

Would removing the buttons have the same effect? I don't know, but it'd be a fun experiment.

Buttons have been removed before, but I don't remember any changes in posting habits beyond the initial "WTF put buttons back/YES buttons are cancer" arguments (followed by "YES buttons are back/WTF buttons are cancer"). I wouldn't mind an experiment because I want to see what will be blamed next.

A horse of course

thinking.png

Buttons discourage some of the one-liner poasts, otoh they encourage simping for upboats like on r*ddit

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Buttons have been removed before, but I don't remember any changes in posting habits beyond the initial "WTF put buttons back/YES buttons are cancer" arguments (followed by "YES buttons are back/WTF buttons are cancer"). I wouldn't mind an experiment because I want to see what will be blamed next.

It'd take a year or two or three before there would be an impact. Culture doesn't change over night.

The downside is that people very well might end up posting less overall. I don't know if that's a bad thing, though.

X to doubt. People who are supposedly making outrageous posts to farm ratings would not carry on for years without them. Ratings here are just a bunch of emojis, they're not like "likes" on social media, they don't give boosts to visibility, hide low rated posts or flag posts in any way. There's already little encouragement to change your habits as it is.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
X to doubt. People who are supposedly making outrageous posts to farm ratings would not carry on for years without them. Ratings here are just a bunch of emojis, they're not like "likes" on social media, they don't give boosts to visibility, hide low rated posts or flag posts in any way. There's already little encouragement as it is.

I think it's more about the negative ratings.

People get butthurt about having a dozen retard ratings in a game thread. If somebody is being dumb, use words.

That's where interesting discussions pop up.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
HHR continues to make his homo shitposts in his thread despite me rating him "STOP! posting" for years. I think he gets off to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom