Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Sincere statement:

I hate interruption mechanic in tacticool RPGs

Tacticool RPG always get suppression wrong, if at all.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
KonoSuba, Drifters and Tanya the Evil
Shit.
Mushoku Tensei. If you think that's shit then you either have no taste or are an SJW faggot.
Nigger, it's shit.

Faraway Paladin

I am a Spider now, so what
Dragon Egg Reincarnation
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash

Bit of a secret tip in SAO Alternative Gun Gale Online as that was written not by the SAO dude but by the Kino no Tabi dude.

These are all fairly long running and the best in the genre. Half don't have anime's tho.
Faraway Paladin is the only Isekai I would call a legit great Fantasy Story tho.

Dungeon Hunter is one S0rcererV1ct0r should check out. It is an incredibly edgy revenge Isekai a la Arifureta, but actually somewhat decent and it has an ending. More edgy than Shield Hero.

Isekai Slime is ok. Shield Hero started ok. Bakarina is ok as the first Otome Isekai.
All Manga obv.
The are two Isekai's called something with Moon. Moon sculptor and another one where the hero does archery. Those are okay.
There is also one called "Skeleton Soldier couldn't protect the Dungeon", and one with a very generic name about a dude who shits bricks, that was one of the few good ones from Korea, before the author got drafted for the military.

There are probably like 15 more decent ones that elude me at the moment because god damn the genre is dime a dozen. It's comfort food.

Idk what people have with Moshoku Tensei. Yeah it was like the first one but it is ultra generic and I'd take Drifters and Konosuba over it.

Last edited:

Maxie

Underrail is so abysmally boring I'm hard pressed to find a single reason why should any responsible adult who values his free time give a crap about it, let alone have a hosted Styg forum here, given that the developer works to make the experience even more shit with psi updates

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
The best dungeon crawler series of all time is Etrian Odyssey and most portraits are of little girls, some of them wearing heavy armor.

Genuinely interested in trying this series out, but the way some people seriously and unironically praise it seems rather odd. Are the games THAT good or is it just Nintendoniggers being pathetic as always and praising them to high heaven just because they're DS/3DS exclusives?

They are good accessible dungeon crawlers with the best five Niggas in a row combat in the industry.
The combat system is simple but superb and I'd put it in S tier with games like SMT IVa, SaGa combat and maybe a few others.
Also the musician has a fairly big name,makes Tekken music I believe.
I like them, and don't think the praise is overly wrong.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Is there any isekai about white dude transfered to japanese girl school?

The Reincarnation Magician Of The Inferior Eyes
and
The Hero Who Returned Remains the Strongest in the Modern World

come fairly close to the pitch and are both absolute garbage. But you could probably tell that from the title already.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Is there any isekai about white dude transfered to japanese girl school?

The Reincarnation Magician Of The Inferior Eyes
and
The Hero Who Returned Remains the Strongest in the Modern World

come fairly close to the pitch and are both absolute garbage. But you could probably tell that from the title already.
Nah, i'm talking about warpig reincarnated in japanese girl school.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Like Overwatch mechanics? Why tho
It completely wrecks the flow of combat; interruption attacks are very deadly, catching you with your pants off, therefore you want to avoid them at all costs. This quickly limits the available options: abuse stealth for enemy can't interrupt you if he doesn't see you; kill enemies from far away without going into interrupt range; abuse interrupt mechanics yourself, setting the defensive positions, making noise and slaughtering enemy charges with your interrupts.

Interrupts always favour defense over offence: defender can sit tight and keep his APs for the future interrupts while attacker moves forward, spending his APs and exposing yourself to any attack.

laclongquan

Arcane
Tacticool RPG always get suppression wrong, if at all.
True. I was unpleasantly surprised when I realized that suppression doesn't work in JA2; then I started googling and realized that it's actually broken: NPC could be suppressed only once in it's entire existence, this is true even for your mercs.
So many mods messing with it and no one change/fix it?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Like Overwatch mechanics? Why tho
It completely wrecks the flow of combat; interruption attacks are very deadly, catching you with your pants off, therefore you want to avoid them at all costs. This quickly limits the available options: abuse stealth for enemy can't interrupt you if he doesn't see you; kill enemies from far away without going into interrupt range; abuse interrupt mechanics yourself, setting the defensive positions, making noise and slaughtering enemy charges with your interrupts.

Interrupts always favour defense over offence: defender can sit tight and keep his APs for the future interrupts while attacker moves forward, spending his APs and exposing yourself to any attack.

Depends on the vision mechanic. If you can see the enemy in overwatch before you enter his shootan range then the mechanic is a lot more fair, as you have options by denying him the overwatch through smoke grenades or whatever. NuXcom pod mechanic is much much worse for that, as if you move too far new enemies enter the fight and overwhelm you, making you crawl the maps extremely slowly even outside of direct engagements.

I like overwatch for the gamble, setting up an overwatch is a big risk, because if you miss the shot on your enemies turn then you can't correct with a different unit and you will suffer for it.
But yeah badly done overwatch mechanics are awfull, slowly crawling the map ending every turn in overwatch because the mechanic does not cost anything.

I'm not going to browse 100 pages to see if anyone has already pointed this out, by to me it's obvious that Jagged Alliance 2 combat is highly overrated by some people.

Don't get me wrong (although I'm supposed to trigger you), I love JA2 for many reasons, and the combat is great when compared to the random mess of other turn-based games' combat like Fallout, but to hold it as some kind of standard is going too far.

Once you become familiar with the mechanics and know how to exploit certain behaviors of the AI, there's not much of a learning curve left. Guards always act individually and will often kamikaze into your position. It's very difficult to come up with an intricate battle plan and execute it as each enemy will just be randomly positioned across the scenery, instead of where they'd logically be if they were doing real-life things. This results in very long, drawn-out fights that usually devolve into trench warfare or bank heist movie shootouts, very different from what you'd expect from the spec ops type operations that are implicit in that format of a small group of mercenaries overthrowing a government.

This is not surprising, as according to the devs themselves, JA2 was not planned as a realistic, tactical turn-based simulation at all--that's what the fans turned it into, lacking better options.

A simple proof: retreating, as a game mechanic, is not presented as a valid course of action, making you lose morale instead. That's the first fact you learn about guerrilla warfare: retreat is the name of the game; it's much more common than wiping out a sector. Obvious tactics like taking out a few guards during the day and then returning at night to finish the job are made impossible because of this.

Again, I love JA2, it was certainly a high point for that kind of open, rich in mechanics, innovative gameplay that we remember from the 90s, but there's a reason I don't replay it very often anymore. It's simply not as deep as people make it out to be.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
It's very difficult to come up with an intricate battle plan and execute it as each enemy will just be randomly positioned across the scenery, instead of where they'd logically be if they were doing real-life things.
A simple change will make the game way more harder than it is. Place enemies at favorable locations (inside buildings, for example) and forbid AI to leave these locations en masse once any random noise is heard.

Case in point - location H2

laclongquan

Arcane
It's very difficult to come up with an intricate battle plan and execute it as each enemy will just be randomly positioned across the scenery, instead of where they'd logically be if they were doing real-life things.
A simple change will make the game way more harder than it is. Place enemies at favorable locations (inside buildings, for example) and forbid AI to leave these locations en masse once any random noise is heard.

Case in point - location H2

That means you can use 1 guy to make random noise to keep them inside while the other 5 can concentrate on lesser-number group in other places~ So no, bad idea~

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
That means you can use 1 guy to make random noise to keep them inside while the other 5 can concentrate on lesser-number group in other places~ So no, bad idea~
Groups of soldiers would be sitting in positions from where they can keep contact with each other and support neighboring groups - one of the simplest military axioms. Never leave your troops isolated, it leads to flanking, encirclement and annihilation.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Turn-based > RTWP

That depends.

In ultra large scale battles, RtWP > TB.
In tactical small scale battles, TB > RtWP.

Most CRPG's needs to be TB. And TB CRPG's must have a way to speed up the combat. Mainly for those like me who enjoy conjuration, necromancy and alteration magic.

Larianshill

Arbiter
You got this thread backwards, son.
Name one good game, that's good because it's RTWP, not in spite of it.

And TB CRPG's must have a way to speed up the combat.
That's completely reasonable, and it's very rare to see. If HoMM3 could pull it off, more modern games can certainly pull it off.

Zlaja

Arcane
Name one good game, that's good because it's RTWP, not in spite of it.

You're supposed to TRIGGER people in here with stupid/questionable opinions. You prefering TB over Rtwp doesn't achieve that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom