Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What if we split the Codex into two sites: RPG Codex + Political Codex?

What do you think about splitting the politics out to a separate stand-alone website + forums?

• THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA

Votes: 137 37.8%
  • Over my dead body

Votes: 133 36.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 92 25.4%

• Total voters

A horse of course

X to doubt. People who are supposedly making outrageous posts to farm ratings would not carry on for years without them. Ratings here are just a bunch of emojis, they're not like "likes" on social media, they don't give boosts to visibility, hide low rated posts or flag posts in any way. There's already little encouragement as it is.

I think it's more about the negative ratings.

People get butthurt about having a dozen retard ratings in a game thread. If somebody is being dumb, use words.

That's where interesting discussions pop up.

People did use words, they would make short poasts like "retard detected". I don't like getting spammed with "retarded" or "edgy" ratings either, but it wouldn't make much difference if they were removed imo. I have suggested before that the button parade be purged of obvious "you are correct" and "you are wrong" ratings, but at that point you're in the "disabling things to protect users from themselves" territory.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Whose idea was this, Infinitron or Scruffy?
Splitting is Infinitron's modus operandi.

Divide and conquer.

Seriously, this idea makes absolutely no sense. There is a community here and even those who discuss politics are also interested in RPG's. Why change what isn't broken?

If DU is afraid of the Interpol coming after him in the outback - the GD discussions are already hidden from the search engines. And no interpol agent would pay to get access to it or wait for one year after registration. Just make sure taxalotian fifth-columnists do not post screenshots on Twitter.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Divide and conquer.

Seriously, this idea makes absolutely no sense. There is a community here and even those who discuss politics are also interested in RPG's. Why change what isn't broken?

If DU is afraid of the Interpol coming after him in the outback - the GD discussions are already hidden from the search engines. And no interpol agent would pay to get access to it or wait for one year after registration. Just make sure taxalotian fifth-columnists do not post screenshots on Twitter.
You know rusty is an FBI agent in disguise, right? Why do you think he disappeared during the election? He had work to do for once.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just make sure taxalotian fifth-columnists do not post screenshots on Twitter.

And how exactly would you do that? There's no way to prevent screencapping and utter losers/crybullies/other degenerates like taxalot or Surf Solar will always be around. And usually only reveal themselves after being members for years and already having access to GD.

A horse of course

And how exactly would you do that? There's no way to prevent screencapping and utter losers/crybullies/other degenerates like taxalot or Surf Solar will always be around. And usually only reveal themselves after being members for years and already having access to GD.

Just make sure you'll never be someone that the rest of the society would be the slightest bit interested in.

Shoudn't be too difficult for anyone here.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Just make sure you'll never be someone that the rest of the society would be the slightest bit interested in.

That's the only reason the Codex still exists, it's small enough to fly under the radar.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
X to doubt. People who are supposedly making outrageous posts to farm ratings would not carry on for years without them. Ratings here are just a bunch of emojis, they're not like "likes" on social media, they don't give boosts to visibility, hide low rated posts or flag posts in any way. There's already little encouragement as it is.

I think it's more about the negative ratings.

People get butthurt about having a dozen retard ratings in a game thread. If somebody is being dumb, use words.

That's where interesting discussions pop up.

Here's the thing: I will rate a post I have no intention of ever responding to, because the post might be so fucking stupid that it defies comprehension, and with regard to certain posters - my time would be better spent arguing with a tree. However, I find it handy that I can hit a button to let the offending poster know what I think of said post. Likewise, sometimes a post is brilliant and you rate it positively.

The bigger problem, I think, is the hateful rhetoric that goes beyond simple shitposting. I find myself sometimes skipping whole conversations because of it. Hate doesn't really add anything to dialogue. Take away the buttons and I'll still be scrolling past sometimes whole pages of billigerent racism.

A horse of course

That's the only reason the Codex still exists, it's small enough to fly under the radar.

This is another issue the bootlickers avoid mentioning - once you started "cleaning up" the codex by banning the most serious slurs and have somehow achieved your dream of 3rd-rate RPG developers poasting on the site (despite the fact that many developers left in the early 00s because they merely disliked being criticized), the level of censorship demanded would only increase. Soon enough someone will make a veiled remark about jews or trannies when a more "visible" developer is posting, and now there's pressure on that developer to "distance themselves" from the codex, who will in turn request that the moderators become more "proactive" in the fight against hurt feefees.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

Divide and conquer.

You know rusty is an FBI agent in disguise, right? Why do you think he disappeared during the election? He had work to do for once.

Also markec.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There is a community here and even those who discuss politics are also interested in RPG's.

Because this is a place to discuss RPGs. If your primary focus is discussing politics, then...

YBTc6ni.png

Corvinus

Arcane
But what if, for instance, you check out that new sweet RPG and find that it is full of woke pedo politics? Or what if you find that there's a spanking new death squad RPG coming out where you hunt down and kill satanic kikes? Shouldn't you be allowed to discuss or even mention that, possibly, both of the example games have "muh politics" inserted into them? Quite obviously, if you are to discuss a game you should be able to discuss the whole product and not only a part of it.

We know what's going to happen though - in the paraphrased words of POZtron: "Huh guys, just stick to discussing gameplay or I'll remove your comments. Don't mention that there are 50% niggers in a game about medieval europe, please. I can't collect my bribe from the publishers if you do!"

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Which is why you got a new stromfront-lite to discuss it! A lot of people in Codex are only here for GD shit anyway.

On the other hand other people raise a valid point that splitting the site probably won't work. These days Infi can go swoop in and just relocate the off-topic GD Shits to GD. People can still discuss there if they want to. If we split the site it would mean any discussion is at risk of being purged which I am not fond of.

Now I think we can keep GD and its shit there but you can create stromfront-lite if you want. Of course considering GD exist not really sure if people would even use it tho.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Just simple moderation is required, no need to create another forum.
Required by whom? Certainly not the majority of active users, who either partake in the unique shitposting possibilities the Codex offers or at least accept them as a necessary nuisance to enjoy whatever makes this site worth visiting for them.

Required for what? Certainly not to improve the quality of CRPG discussion since it already is so good retards prefer to stay here and complain about lack of moderation rather than moving onto the plethora of RPG forums with the virtual police they so much long for.

Whited sepulchres full of uncleanness, all you censors. Quit the internet and repent.

A horse of course

But what if, for instance, you check out that new sweet RPG and find that it is full of woke pedo politics? Or what if you find that there's a spanking new death squad RPG coming out where you hunt down and kill satanic kikes? Shouldn't you be allowed to discuss or even mention that, possibly, both of the example games have "muh politics" inserted into them? Quite obviously, if you are to discuss a game you should be able to discuss the whole product and not only a part of it.

We know what's going to happen though - in the paraphrased words of POZtron: "Huh guys, just stick to discussing gameplay or I'll remove your comments. Don't mention that there are 50% niggers in a game about medieval europe, please. I can't collect my bribe from the publishers if you do!"

Off the top of my head, here are a few examples of things in modern gaming where you consciously have to go out of your way to avoid discussing political issues.

A: Male/Female options being removed and replaced by "Type" or "Style" or "Identity" (too many examples to count in the past 2 years)
B: Developers removing "transphobic" content that is already in the game (e.g. Deadly Premonition 2)
C: Publishers censoring "misogynist" content (e.g. Sony vs. Nintendo) and/or developers admitting to having self-censored
D: Gaming journalists and industry figures specifically going out of their way to blacklist games or rivals (e.g. Kingdom Come, Six Days somethingsomething)
E: Explicitly political content in the game itself (e.g. Life is Strange 2 or whatever the one with beaners and MAGA racists is)
F: Developers choosing talent based on racial and sexual progressive stack rules (e.g. Sam and Max remake recasting a white VA)
G: Publishers/Storefronts banning titles that offend their political masters (e.g. GoG listing but then removing the games Hatred and Devotion)

This is just a tiny portion of the "political content" that directly affects gnomes and is impossible to avoid discussing without forcing people not to.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Off the top of my head, here are a few examples of things in modern gaming where you consciously have to go out of your way to avoid discussing political issues.

A: Male/Female options being removed and replaced by "Type" or "Style" or "Identity" (too many examples to count in the past 2 years)
B: Developers removing "transphobic" content that is already in the game (e.g. Deadly Premonition 2)
C: Publishers censoring "misogynist" content (e.g. Sony vs. Nintendo) and/or developers admitting to having self-censored
D: Gaming journalists and industry figures specifically going out of their way to blacklist games or rivals (e.g. Kingdom Come, Six Days somethingsomething)
E: Explicitly political content in the game itself (e.g. Life is Strange 2 or whatever the one with beaners and MAGA racists is)
F: Developers choosing talent based on racial and sexual progressive stack rules (e.g. Sam and Max remake recasting a white VA)
G: Publishers/Storefronts banning titles that offend their political masters (e.g. GoG listing but then removing the games Hatred and Devotion)

This is just a tiny portion of the "political content" that directly affects gnomes and is impossible to avoid discussing without forcing people not to.

Cool story bro.

But is the game itself good?

I don't like any of that stuff, sometimes those decisions strongly affect my buying decisions. But should all of the conversation revolve around those issues? FUCK NO. 95% should still be about the game itself. Main game threads should be about the GAME, not about the drama that surrounds the game.

And that is the problem really. Some people just want to talk about the politics. They don't even care about the game. They have never played it and never will. But every time someone tries to have a conversation about the game, they interject, talking about the same political issue over and over again.

There is no perfect solution to a problem like that, but applying some common sense goes a long distance.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Cool story bro.

I don't like any of that stuff, sometimes those decisions strongly affect my buying decisions. But should all of the conversation revolve around those issues? FUCK NO. 95% should still be about the game itself. Main game threads should be about the GAME, not about the drama that surrounds the game.

And that is the problem really. Some people just want to talk about the politics. They don't even care about the game. They have never played it and never will. But every time someone tries to have a conversation about the game, they interject, talking about the same political issue over and over again.

There is no perfect solution to a problem like that, but applying some common sense goes a long distance.

Most of those things Ed listed do impact a game heavily, unless you consider the content of a game to be entirely unimportant?

Edit: Also Haba has once again proved my point that everyone has a completely different idea of what politics means when it comes to games.

Last edited:

A horse of course

Cool story bro.

"Don't discuss content in the game" and "don't discuss the game being available to purchase" is not "common sense" moderation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom