Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Nerfing talismans? Is this some sort of delayed april fools joke?
Considering talismans used to roll with ~3 t1 rolls on average, its not. I've looted at least a handful of 5 or 6x t1 roll talismans, each of which sold for atleast 20c despite having shitty anoints. I sold 15-20 t1 flat es/inc ES ones that had decent anoints, and a bunch of t1 int/dex stacking ones too. With tainted oils being a thing (sadly they can only be used on blighted maps, rings and amuletss), talismans would be the only thing you'll wear, especially with influenced items being significantly reduced in power due to not being able to harvest-craft them.

Beast splitting being gone is amazing, hopefully they'll also destroy beast imprints.

League looks meh, like a mix of Ritual and Heist. Can't wait for someone to lose their inscribed ultimatum that required 4 doctors as entry to double the reward, only for the server to crash and him to lose his portals. Doesn't seem like theres a new bossfight or endgame mechanic either. Maven was nice and all but also piss-easy, and the power creep just keeps continuing.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
lanning for full ascendency for SSF is a great fix though. I didn't play a lot last league, so might run a character this one.
took a bit but never actually had a problem to unlock it eventually. Whats the proposed fix?

as for poe2 i skimmed quickly, I still see crowds. I do not see skills clearing whole screens but it might be devs just not showing it? Dunno if there is to be incline or not

Saark

Arcane
Patron
as for poe2 i skimmed quickly, I still see crowds. I do not see skills clearing whole screens but it might be devs just not showing it? Dunno if there is to be incline or not
I mean, they're showcasing leveling content. It's not gonna look anything like end-game does right now, and if you showcased Path of Exile by showing regular player leveling gameplay, it would look very similar.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
lanning for full ascendency for SSF is a great fix though. I didn't play a lot last league, so might run a character this one.
took a bit but never actually had a problem to unlock it eventually. Whats the proposed fix?

They haven't addressed how the end game will be balanced in POE2 yet. Chris has made some vague suggestions that things like itemisation will be "improved", but has not given any concrete details.

Killing zoom zoom and reducing loot explosions would be incline (fewer but better drops), but I don't think they have the balls to do that as it'll piss off a large portion of the player base.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Killing zoom zoom and reducing loot explosions would be incline (fewer but better drops), but I don't think they have the balls to do that as it'll piss off a large portion of the player base.
Pretty sure loot drops being decreased would not make people upset, but zoom zoom would make people livid. And I see why, zoom zoom is fun, they'd have to up the depth of the combat a lot to make up for it. The poe2 gameplay did perhaps indicate they are going in that direction. We'll see.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pretty sure loot drops being decreased would not make people upset, but zoom zoom would make people livid. And I see why, zoom zoom is fun, they'd have to up the depth of the combat a lot to make up for it. The poe2 gameplay did perhaps indicate they are going in that direction. We'll see.

If they're going to keep the zoom zoom around they should probably stop wasting effort on things like animations as no one is going to see them anyway.

Last Epoch is a pretty good example of how a slower playstyle can work. The density is a lot lower but enemies are individually much stronger than POE and often have powerful telegraphed attacks, though whether LE keeps that style and ends up going zoom zoom as things develop (the game is still in beta) I don't know.

Perkel

Arcane
Watched full commentary.

They finally did what folks wanted for ages. Most of rewards got reworked. For example Vaal temple rooms now have effect on what is dropped by vall temple boss and you can actually store them. Specific vaal uniques will be different depending on those rooms as well.

By far the biggest change comes to Labirynth reward. With imprint you have now 7-8 mods to choose from everytime you imprint and you can preview so you can pick best gear for enchantment you want instead of it being randomized.

Betreyal finally also have reason to kill mastermind instead of locking safehouses because it was worthless. Now there is IV tier of safehouse rewards only available via killing Mastermind which increases then each safehouse level by 1. Moreover from their talk going from 3 to 4 level will more or less double rewards. They also made that best uniques and items from Betreyal will were moved from 3 to 4 level.

Delve got nerf to rewards on super deep level but buff to rewards at lower levels.

Abyss got reward rework. Now stygian belt is best to aquire from abyss boss fights while abyss jewels got buffed.

In all of those also there are new uniques to get only from that part of game.

Headhunter now can drop in any map.

Overall much needed changes. But it won't change anything for gameplay though which is still too fast and retarded.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Theres a few things that stood out to me in the PoE2 trailer, and the main take-away for me is that they seem intent on designing skills around specific weapon types much more, as well as introducing "combo" moves. Whether it is skills like Firewall that are already in the game, or abilities that power up when using multiple times. All in all, those interactions and combo mechanics move the game away from being a single-click-clear-screen kind of gameplay, and more towards using multiple buttons and longer animations to successfully dispatch groups of enemies or rares/bosses.

Whether this is just something that will see play in the leveling experience and end-game characters still leave all of this behind or not, remains to be seen.

Gerrard

Arcane
Considering that Chris has been bringing up Marvel Heroes' flop every time someone asks about slowing the game down, I'm pretty sure this is just typical bait and switch.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Whether this is just something that will see play in the leveling experience and end-game characters still leave all of this behind or not, remains to be seen.

I didn't read the gameplay as intending to change the core gameplay loop in any significant way. Rather the new skill designs and showcases are fueled by the capabilities provided by GGG's reworked animation system for PoE2, which was the biggest issue holding the original engine back.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I didn't read the gameplay as intending to change the core gameplay loop in any significant way. Rather the new skill designs and showcases are fueled by the capabilities provided by GGG's reworked animation system for PoE2, which was the biggest issue holding the original engine back.
Just looking at the more recent skill design, its fairly obvious that GGG has moved away from "one button to rule them all" and instead chose to be a bit more interactive. Whether it is something as basic as using corpses in the corpse-rework patch a year or two ago, or something more recent like firewall, the weird channeling mana skill, the blade skill rework in 3.12 or the 3.13 steel-skill rework. All of those have one thing in common, and that is more interactiveness with clear design for support skills, movement skills and damage skills, which interact and buff each other.

The new spear skill that charges up or releases based on how you use it is just an extension of the already existing skill design change, and I don't think the animations themselves have a lot to do with that.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
The thing is, most builds involve some level of multi-button pressing - but only for end game bosses.

They can't push that idea too far for common mobs, since piano flasks remains a thing in this fucking game.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Just looking at the more recent skill design, its fairly obvious that GGG has moved away from "one button to rule them all" and instead chose to be a bit more interactive. Whether it is something as basic as using corpses in the corpse-rework patch a year or two ago, or something more recent like firewall, the weird channeling mana skill, the blade skill rework in 3.12 or the 3.13 steel-skill rework. All of those have one thing in common, and that is more interactiveness with clear design for support skills, movement skills and damage skills, which interact and buff each other.

This is all true, it's just that the recent skill designs have nothing weapon-specific about them, that's what I meant when I mentioned the new animation system enabling GGG. Obviously they are interested in making more interesting skills with different interactions, partly because you can only make so many boring damage skillls, but also because the implicit design philosophy is that most of the boring damage stuff is shuttled off to support gems anyways (something which wasn't always the case).

But the core game still incentivizes going as fast as possible. As long as that doesn't change, and GGG has shown no interest in changing this, interesting builds with interactions and multiple key presses will always be second-rate to builds that zoom-clear with minimal effort.

Last edited:

PapaPetro

interesting builds with interactions and multiple key presses will always be second-rate to builds that zoom-clear with minimal effort.
Because the "meta" of the game has always been the Economy of Clicks.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I said I would not play again until poe2 because endgame has became too grindy for me with too much random shit added but I might put some time into this league.
Thinking Raider Shield Throw for speed and crazy dodge.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm liable to try lowlife reap juggernaut. Should be pretty wacky.
Seams more to be for pathfinder with needing to use flasks all the time to keep life above half. Some pathfinder caster with pain attunement.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Seams more to be for pathfinder with needing to use flasks all the time to keep life above half. Some pathfinder caster with pain attunement.
I never even considered pathfinder, and I don't get why you are? The point with lowlife is to keep your life just below half so you get the pain attunement damage. I picked jugg because it's the tankiest and none of the ascendencies are well suited for scaling reap as far as I can tell. ES trickster is probably better, but I've never managed to get good enough gear to make ES good.

Scion(trickster/glad) might be a good pick too, since all the nodes you want (shadow and marauder) are on separate sides of the tree, and the fact that scion gets life nodes and +phys damage cluster right at the beginning doesn't even make her annoying as league starter for this. I'm really wary of the low survivability though, and none of the shadow ascendant nodes really do much either.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I never even considered pathfinder, and I don't get why you are? The point with lowlife is to keep your life just below half so you get the pain attunement damage. I picked jugg because it's the tankiest and none of the ascendencies are well suited for scaling reap as far as I can tell. ES trickster is probably better, but I've never managed to get good enough gear to make ES good.

Scion(trickster/glad) might be a good pick too, since all the nodes you want (shadow and marauder) are on separate sides of the tree, and the fact that scion gets life nodes and +phys damage cluster right at the beginning doesn't even make her annoying as league starter for this. I'm really wary of the low survivability though, and none of the shadow ascendant nodes really do much either.
I was looking at new gem that only lets you have max life as half your life but lets you go beyond that with life flasks. I didn't consider that you might lose low life bonuses because of flasks. It is kind of pointless if you do lose it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

Having way too much fun theorycrafting this...

Cast while channeling cyclone+reap supported by (manually cast?) corrupting fever? With ~8 attacks per second the base damage for the corrupted blood should already be 2600 which is pretty crazy (ED is 1500) if you then scale it with some good supports. Could probably make it even better by just dropping the reap and going for ball lightning or something, easily hitting the cap of 20 stacks for 6700 base DoT.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
I'll probably make either a coc frost nova inquisitor or a bladestorm gladiator this league.

Leaning towards the latter as it's a decent league starter and can scale well into end game.

I have to say those PoEII trailers are looking very good. I didn't even know there was second one in the works.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
I have to say those PoEII trailers are looking very good. I didn't even know there was second one in the works.

It's more of a major update to the game than a sequel. They've already confirmed that POE 1 and 2 have shared leagues, economy and endgame.

It's also an opportunity for them to fix a lot of the glaring issues with the game as it stands, if they have the balls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom