Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Storm Ground - turn-based tactics with cards

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Oh thank goodness I was worried this might actually be good.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
just a reminder that the moron who made AoS a reality and shit the bed hard with it no longer works at GW and it's a generally better game now

there are non-shite rules and the lore is getting better.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
just a reminder that the moron who made AoS a reality and shit the bed hard with it no longer works at GW and it's a generally better game now

Judging by the books they keep shitting out the setting is still complete nonsense.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Judging by the books they keep shitting out the setting is still complete nonsense.

explain your position

It's Planescape + Points of Light but the PoLs are all poorly fleshed out. The characters in the books I've seen, ESPECIALLY the Sigmarines, are all whiny emo fuckers. Nagash and his crew are saturday morning cartoons.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

explain your position
It's Planescape + Points of Light but the PoLs are all poorly fleshed out. The characters in the books I've seen, ESPECIALLY the Sigmarines, are all whiny emo fuckers. Nagash and his crew are saturday morning cartoons.
:thumbsup:

Well, you've actually looked into the game since 2015 and found it lacking and aren't pointlessly seething over WFB ending so you're way above most of the posters here.
I actually like the game and most of the models/designs I've seen, even the Sigmarines have their charm if you paint them in colors that arent Gold, Blue and White.

Hanzbur_Anvilhelm_1.jpg

Last edited:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
New "Gameplay Overview" trailer.

Gathering from this, the game will launch with three factions:
- Stormcast Eternals (not-spacemareeehns)
- Nighthaunts (a faction made up entirely of ghosts and spirits)
- Maggotkin (Nurgle/Plague demons and cultists)

Aside from the Stormcast Eternals the other two faction choices are interesting because in the Tabletop world they appear not to be amongst the most popular. But I suppose Faction DLCs are already planned.
Also Age of Sigmar lore is so fucking bad :/

From the Trailer:
"The timing when you field your units will affect your ability to cast spells and summon the most powerful characters in the game"
Sounds like a CCG mechanic where you gain mana each round and units have summon costs.

"Hundreds of unlockable rewards" aka prepare for a grind fest.

Reads like it's gonna be a total shitshow.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
New "Gameplay Overview" trailer.

Gathering from this, the game will launch with three factions:
- Stormcast Eternals (not-spacemareeehns)
- Nighthaunts (a faction made up entirely of ghosts and spirits)
- Maggotkin (Nurgle/Plague demons and cultists)

Aside from the Stormcast Eternals the other two faction choices are interesting because in the Tabletop world they appear not to be amongst the most popular. But I suppose Faction DLCs are already planned.
Also Age of Sigmar lore is so fucking bad :/

From the Trailer:
"The timing when you field your units will affect your ability to cast spells and summon the most powerful characters in the game"
Sounds like a CCG mechanic where you gain mana each round and units have summon costs.

"Hundreds of unlockable rewards" aka prepare for a grind fest.

Reads like it's gonna be a total shitshow.

Nighthaunts are the current Starter Set "evil" army and the Maggotkin are relatively popular. Chaos usually doing numbers. Also, the campaign mode is like, four missions long with a clearly stated goal of being something you repeatedly battle. It's a roguelikey sort of thing.

I got time to kill so let's do some Infinitron style stalking:

Gasket games is working on two projects. This is their first, second is some kind of overwatch/Destiny thing. lol

Notable JEFF LYDELL contributions:
- Hardspace: Shipbreaker (2018)
- Project Eagle : In collaboration with Jet Propulsion Laboratory (2017)

Irrelevant to the game being presented.

- Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak (2016)
- Merc Elite (now offline) (2014)

Yikes! an RTS that sucked and a moba I never heard of before.

- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution & DLC (2011)
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising (2010)
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (2009)
- Company of Heroes (2006)

This is an ok amount of pedigree. DoWII and expansions were all really solid titles with no complaints and they generally understand the IP, so that's good.

Onward to: Ian Christy

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak (2016) (Mission Lead)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (2012) (Lead Campaign Designers)
Captain America: Super Soldier (2011) (Lead Level Designer)
Crash: Mind over Mutant (2008) (Game Designers)
Crash of the Titans (2007) (Game Designers)
Crash of the Titans (2007) (Designers)
Scarface: The World Is Yours (2006)

Yikes! Crash Bandicoot games from the "Oh. Those are still coming out. ... ... ... why?" era of Crash, a terrible multiplayer game and that same shitty homeworld sequel. Uh oh!

Art Director doesn't matter, you basically already have all the art designed for you and the rest seem to be juniors and someone whose entire career was 12 years in HR. Not the worst team I've seen but hm

Last edited:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
GW obviously wanted to push Nighthaunts with the starter set, iirc their army book or "battletome" came about around the same time. But at least in my bubble the Nighthaunts never got much traction as an actually collected faction. I mean...

jx9tswo4.png

Perhaps my personal experience and opinion biased me against them :D But as far as popularity of chaos factions/gods go come on Nurgle really isn't top tier on the scale.

t9eem35f.png

For the game itself one positive thing of note is that there's no rainbow haired snowflakes detected on the staff photo
xjwd59zd.jpg

Beowulf

Arcane
Oh wow, they really captured the essence of WH :|

No wonder people thing that this AoS setting is shit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I like how we can play more than the not-spacemarines, though. I remain neutral until further notice.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Ok, they're doing faction focuses now. I'll post them once all three of them are done. They aren't really anything you wouldn't already know, its just 1 minute videos.

Harthwain

Magister
Looks like they are re-using models from Warhammer Underworlds: Online. Is that game still alive?

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Looks like they are re-using models from Warhammer Underworlds: Online. Is that game still alive?

Are they? GW is trying to enforce "same design across the brand" with their video games, so it's possible, but I mean, if you're making a Warhammer game, can't they just send the Zbrush files over to the developers?

Harthwain

Magister
Are they? GW is trying to enforce "same design across the brand" with their video games, so it's possible, but I mean, if you're making a Warhammer game, can't they just send the Zbrush files over to the developers?
I don't know for sure. It's merely my impression after watching the trailers. The similarity between models from this game to the models from Warhammer Underworlds: Online is striking. Then again, you could be right and they may be simply copy-pasting Games Workshop's official tabletop models or something.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know for sure. It's merely my impression after watching the trailers. The similarity between models from this game to the models from Warhammer Underworlds: Online is striking. Then again, you could be right and they may be simply copy-pasting Games Workshop's official tabletop models or something.

or maybe GW is providing the devs with 3D models of the miniatures; they most likely sculpt their minis using digital tools, so they'd already have the 3D models ready to go

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom