Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
At some point the game started restoring my party to full HP after fights, too. I assume that was a bug, but it made things even easier.

jackofshadows

Magister
Never thought I'd see the day VD got old and got tired of people complaining that the game is too hard.
It could be as well a simple reverse-psychology trick for other steamtards to fall.
At some point the game started restoring my party to full HP after fights, too. I assume that was a bug, but it made things even easier.
It's a temporaty solution before they implement medical supplies to carry around.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It's a temporaty solution before they implement medical supplies to carry around.
I thought that was the explanation for the $50 healing from the doctor? This was just like popamole-style, fight ends, all HP restored.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
yea!
walk back to doctor, pay 50$!
engaging!
Or buy medkits and use them after fights.

It's much easier than AoD or DR too, I'd wager they intentionally undertuned the combat the try and avoid this, unsuccessfully.
I hope nobody thinks that the difficulty and balance of a game just released on Early Access is anywhere close to final.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I thought that was the explanation for the $50 healing from the doctor? This was just like popamole-style, fight ends, all HP restored.
that health regen appear random actually.

I find combat quite tiring and slow. Add speed up button, reduce everyone AP and HP(it would benefit high DR builds but still, I feel like something should be done)

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
The Iron Tower response seems rather knee-jerk to me, but maybe VD is just being in-character. I mean, the game is 87% positive on Steam at 200 reviews.

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
add this "for" the casuals ^^
NtRuqxG.png

for more sales
rknBZHt.png

vota DC

Augur
The Iron Tower response seems rather knee-jerk to me, but maybe VD is just being in-character. I mean, the game is 87% positive on Steam at 200 reviews.
Makes sense being knee-jerk: colony ship-->we wuz colony n shiet-->Floyd

agris

Arcane
Patron
Vault Dweller I haven't taken EA the demo for a spin yet, so apologies if this is implemented or planned, but your steam note re: difficulty and how your described "story mode" gave me an idea. Pre-made characters for users to select from, and if (planned?) tutorial prompts are enabled, when you you toggle to a new character a pop-up indicating the relative challenge of playing said character.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller I haven't taken EA the demo for a spin yet, so apologies if this is implemented or planned, but your steam note re: difficulty and how your described "story mode" gave me an idea. Pre-made characters for users to select from, and if (planned?) tutorial prompts are enabled, when you you toggle to a new character a pop-up indicating the relative challenge of playing said character.
We're working on it already, Fallout style:

63sPXZ1.jpg

Parabalus

Arcane
yea!
walk back to doctor, pay 50$!
engaging!
Or buy medkits and use them after fights.
If only we could.
That's the 'coming soon' part, why we used placeholder healing until they're in the game.

How will Biotech skill be affected in the real system? You give a flat amount currently after eligible fights.

that health regen appear random actually.

I find combat quite tiring and slow. Add speed up button, reduce everyone AP and HP(it would benefit high DR builds but still, I feel like something should be done)

The Jonas bridge fight really shows this, lots of combatants with low THC. AoD had a ?10x? slider so it'll be fine eventually.

agris

Arcane
Patron
We're working on it already, Fallout style
That's awesome, exactly what I had in mind. And if you're doing some skuomorphic, that's even better than a stupid pop-up.

Along those lines, how useful is feedback about UI aesthetics? It's very flat right now, and I expect that once I dive into EA I will end up an advocate for a more Fallout-ish UI, with depth and physicality. I think it could be done with the general style of UI already in place, just with a bit of tweaking to add depth and personality.

Also - if you aren't playing fallout in fullscreen 960x540, you ain't living.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
We're working on it already, Fallout style:

63sPXZ1.jpg
When you include this, please do not go the old school route of having the premade characters poorly designed. It always struck me as an outrageous design decision, since the players most likely to use a premade character are those least likely to excel at the game. Obviously, they shouldn't be crazy minmax munchkins, but they should be ideal versions of core archetypes.

Efe

Erudite
isnt bridge fight for when you choose "I can't fight", why complain that fights lethality is low?

Vault Dweller

Developer
And any plans for tutorial mission? This gives a small lore opportunity and could show 1-2 jobs done with the guy who gives you the macguffin.
Our top priority is sticking to the update schedule. If we delay locations, telling players that we added a tutorial instead (something 87% doesn't need) won't be well received, I think. We'd like to add it but it's a low priority item.

Along those lines, how useful is feedback about UI aesthetics? It's very flat right now, and I expect that once I dive into EA I will end up an advocate for a more Fallout-ish UI, with depth and physicality. I think it could be done with the general style of UI already in place, just with a bit of tweaking to add depth and personality.
If we can improve it, we will, so post your suggestions. By we I mean Mazin (same artist who did most AoD/DR art including the interface) as that's his area.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Think the demo already acts as a tutorial. Also you give us too much credit. I'm perfectly content with replaying the same content over and over again. Already close to hitting the one hundred hour mark!
nw2ITM0.png

jackofshadows

Magister
When you include this, please do not go the old school route of having the premade characters poorly designed. It always struck me as an outrageous design decision, since the players most likely to use a premade character are those least likely to excel at the game. Obviously, they shouldn't be crazy minmax munchkins, but they should be ideal versions of core archetypes.
Coming up with better builds than provided by devs shoud be a part of the game. Besides, builds are just builds, new players will need to learn how to play first anyway and after diving into mechanics they'd probably want to start over with something better adjusted for their personal preferences/style.

By the way, I don't think Fallout's premade chars were that poorly designed, they were poorly min-maxed, that's for sure but they were playable and carried an archetype well enough. And badly min-maxed characters even better help understand why exactly is that. Same as, say playing bad cards in a CCG help understand why bad cards are actually bad.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Coming up with better builds than provided by devs shoud be a part of the game. Besides, builds are just builds, new players will need to learn how to play first anyway and after diving into mechanics they'd probably want to start over with something better adjusted for their personal preferences/style.

By the way, I don't think Fallout's premade chars were that poorly designed, they were poorly min-maxed, that's for sure but they were playable and carried an archetype well enough. And badly min-maxed characters even better help understand why exactly is that. Same as, say playing bad cards in a CCG help understand why bad cards are actually bad.
We'll just have to disagree on this.

My very strong supposition is that players who use premade characters in an RPG are not doing so to learn why those characters are "badly min-maxed," nor are they hoping to play a gimped version of an archetypal character, nor are they particularly likely to replay the game, and if they were to replay the game, it would be a bad idea to steer them toward replaying it with a better-min-maxed version of the same archetype, rather than with a new archetype. I think people use premade characters because they don't want to take the time to really learn the character sheet and want to jump into the game. If you make a gimped archetype for such players, you are making a harder difficulty mode for less-grognardy players. That is 100% backwards. It may be good justice, but it's not good business if what you're trying to do is avoid bad reviews and unhappy customers.

So, basically, if you make a diplomat character, his stats should be min-maxed for effective diplomacy. They should not have meta-gaming min-maxing to maximize lore and access to all non-combat content. That kind of fine-tuning, and the resulting rewards, belong to more serious players. But the casuals should be able to have premade archetypes that are suited to their casual style of play.

The FO character above is not as bad as, e.g., the premade characters in Gold Box games, but he's still kind of silly -- his charisma should probably be 10, his intelligence should be higher, his strength should be lower, etc. It's been a long time since I rolled a FO character, but I cannot see any reason for STR being anything but the minimum for that character (he's tagged small guns) -- it doesn't even make sense with his biography.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom