Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Lokiamis

Learned
Ah, worse presentation, dialogue, gameplay, and now with a healthy dose of updating everything to be acceptable by 2021 Twitter sensibilities. What a piece of shit.

Gastrick

Cipher
For the time, Gothic 1/2 combat was absolutely revolutionary and amazing. Again, you can't compare it to today's Dark Souls or whatever. Compare it to the Morrowinds, Arx Fatalis, Daggerfall, Oblivion, etc. That was the alternative back then.

Gothic 3 combat was absolute dogshit at release, they got rid of all the things that made g1/2 combat special, no idea why. I can understand the argument that G3 scope was too much for them when it comes to world design, quests, content, etc, but it never made sense to me when it came to basic mechanics. Why take something that was really good and throw all of it away for something worse? That is an excellent question for PB if anyone ever does a real interview with them.
With community patches, it actually becomes decent against humanoid enemies (humans, Orcs, skeletons, etc), but not as good as the first two games.

Risen 1 combat is excellent also, kinda like a polished version of G1/2, though it was also missing some good stuff from the first 2 gothic games (like the animations improving with skill). But they made parrying more streamlined, introduced dodging against animals, and other nifty stuff.

Risen 2 had some kind of a fencing system, which I hated, because it relied too much on reflexes. Haven't played Risen 3 yet.

ELEX combat is also not that good. They have timed blocks but they only work against 1 handed weapons and freeze the enemy in place forever, which is weird. So mostly, people roll and block with shields.
This was the alternative at the time, Gothic 1 & 2 always were eurojank.

TomParker

Novice
https://thqnordic.com/article/enhance-your-adventure-gothic-remake-feature-game-store

Enhance your adventure – Gothic Remake to feature in-game store

Barcelona, Spain / Vienna, Austria, April 1st 2021: Gothic has just turned 20 years old, and players around the world can’t wait to put their feet back into the Colony. As THQ Nordic and Developer Alkimia Interactive promised, the development process for the upcoming Gothic Remake will be as transparent as possible. And therefore, the two companies are proud to present one of the exciting new features of the Gothic Remake: The G-Store.

After analyzing all the great RPGs out there, it became quite clear that players want to have a chance to enhance and customize their adventures. With the G-Store, Alkimia Interactive and THQ Nordic will offer vast options to do so. The store will feature new equipment for the hero – you can get the legendary weapons of Diego or all-new clothes to really stand out between all the other colonists. Also, the shop will offer a large amount of quality of live items, such as healing potions, XP-booster or creature-type focused damage-enhancer, if you are struggling to slay a Troll for example. Also, ff the player has spent all his learning points or attribute points in a way that doesn’t please him anymore, a full respec is also available for a small fee.

And – for the very first time in the Gothic-Franchise – the G-Store will exclusively feature the most requested item-types ever: pets! If you ever felt a bit lonely while running through the wilderness, we have a solution: Get a pet! Be it a baby scavenger or a young troll, everyone will find a beloved companion.

Each transaction in the G-Store is done with G-Coins. These can either be purchased at a fixed rate as seen in the price list below, or via viewing livestreams of the game – for each hour watching the Gothic Remake in a stream, registered users will be rewarded with G-Coins. The exact offering of the in-game store depends on the community feedback and will be made revealed closer to the game’s release.
G-Coins pricing overview:

• 2.500 G-Coins for EUR/USD 12.99
  • 5.000 G-Coins for EUR/USD 24.99 (+500 Bonus G-Coins)
  • 10.000 G-Coins for EUR/USD 59.99 (+1000 Bonus G-Coins)
  • 20.000 G-Coins for EUR/USD 99.99 (best value and +2000 Bonus G-Coins)

„With the Gothic Remake, we do not simply want to make the old Gothic look shiny, we want to fully adopt the game and bring it up to 2021 standards (and probably beyond). We are all big fans of Open-World-RPGs in general and in almost all of them is a shop for the modern player: Hard working in Real Life, earning a lot of money but no time to spend it. For these kind of people, we offer THE perfect solution!“ says Reinhard Pollice, Studio Head Alkimia Interactive & Business and Development Director at THQ Nordic, „we did a representative survey in our financial department and 100% of the participants agreed, that this is a fantastic idea!“

The Gothic Remake is currently in development for PC, PlayStation®5 and Xbox Series X|S. There is no official estimated release window yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get enraged even thinking about the sheer existence of this "remake" and honestly: I wouldn't even wonder if this "ingame shop" was for real. Nobody can pile shit as high as these devs did with their "teaser": Everything, just everyting about this fucking "remake" attempt looks and feels like a total and utter disgrace. What's wrong with these people?

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Gomez is the most powerful Incel Baron. He's the boss of the Chad Camp - the most powerful gigachad in the colony."
- Diego, probably

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I got bored and started reading the Steam forums for this game and I'm actually seeing a lot of replies to various threads from the devs. That gives me some hope. Maybe they really are fans of the original.

I got bored and started reading the Steam forums for this game and I'm actually seeing a lot of replies to various threads from the devs. That gives me some hope. Maybe they really are fans of the original.
If they are indeed fans of the original, they obviously didn't understand the essence of the original game. Or they just tried to bring in a bit of Michael-Bay-shit to appeal to the younger masses. I don't know. But I also don't care, to be honest. There will always be only one Gothic 1.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I an only praying to Beliar that they will not remove the original Gothic from steam/gog. Nobody deserves this remake. I would't recommend it even for my worst enemy. Is worse than arcania cuz "This game wouldn't be worth your money even if it shipped with booze and hookers. Yes, it's that bad." source

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I an only praying to Beliar that they will not remove the original Gothic from steam/gog. Nobody deserves this remake. I would't recommend it even for my worst enemy. Is worse than arcania cuz "This game wouldn't be worth your money even if it shipped with booze and hookers. Yes, it's that bad." source
Bro I hated that demo as much as you if not more but the final game probably won't have anything in common with it. It's way too early to be saying stuff like this

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bro I hated that demo as much as you if not more but the final game probably won't have anything in common with it. It's way too early to be saying stuff like this

Guys who think that low lethality "get bite by a wolf 3x in the neck" is great and that dialog wheels is great when even bugthessda recognized that sucks in charge of making a remake for gothic will probably create a worse than oblivion experience.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Guys who think that low lethality "get bite by a wolf 3x in the neck" is great and that dialog wheels is great

this is so unfair you guise don't you know the devs said they're the biggest fans of the original gothic

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
to be fair, apparently that demo was completely scrapped and this will be a true 1:1 remake of the original. I expect it will be competent and fully true to the original, so there's nothing to worry about. And the original is not going anywhere, so u can always play that if u want to.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
this is so unfair you guise don't you know the devs said they're the biggest fans of the original gothic

They claim to be fans of the original, but every change that they made was so awful.
  • Low lethality slow combat
  • Potions that insta teleport to your belly wihtout drinking animation
  • FH combat which doesn't work with M&K
  • A lot of handholding
  • Dialog wheels
  • Consequenceless explosions in the most vital area of the colony(trade exchange zone) which no NPC cares.
  • (...)
IDK why some people defend then at the same time that bash Returning mod for Gothic 2. A amazing mod which allows you to be a Xardas apprentice and most fanfic aspects like Keepers are optional.

Guys who think that low lethality "get bite by a wolf 3x in the neck" is great and that dialog wheels is great

They always do. Remember when Abrams said he was a big Star Wars fan? I am amazed by how people constantly keep falling for the same marketing tricks.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They always do. Remember when Abrams said he was a big Star Wars fan? I am amazed by how people constantly keep falling for the same marketing tricks.

Yep. Gothic fans would never see Gothic 1 and think "you know what a Gothic remake really needs? Dialog wheels, handholding, low lethality, consequenceless explosions on the trade exchange zone and for honor combat"

Honestly modders did a way better work with graphics

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
They claim to be fans of the original, but every change that they made was so awful.
  • Low lethality slow combat
  • Potions that insta teleport to your belly wihtout drinking animation
  • FH combat which doesn't work with M&K
  • A lot of handholding
  • Dialog wheels
  • Consequenceless explosions in the most vital area of the colony(trade exchange zone) which no NPC cares.
  • (...)
IDK why some people defend then at the same time that bash Returning mod for Gothic 2. A amazing mod which allows you to be a Xardas apprentice and most fanfic aspects like Keepers are optional.

They already stated that the combat we saw won't be in the game. It won't be exactly like the original, but it won't be anything like the demo. There's no way it can be worse than the demo. The explosion bullshit won't be in the final game. They are going so far as to use the original recordings of all the dialogue so I don't think they'll be changing anything in the story. I don't think they've said anything about the dialogue wheels but I personally doubt they will be in, especially if the dialogue isn't changing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom