Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My boar is level 7!

There is a lot of classes in this game, it's insane, i just recruited a fire golem as a side mission reward, aside from 3 fire based attacks (2 AoE) he has a kamikaze attack hurting everyone, friends and foes around.

Also, I believe this is the only game which got Assassins right.

Tactics-M-Assassin.jpg

Assassinate is very powerful but this guy is a glass-canon, so the best way is to pump attack and hide and use ambush, which hides him automatically after attacking based on his hide skill.
Of course, some units have a detection passive as a free class perk, making it way harder or hiding chances are reduced by various building or when there is many enemies around.

So, he's best played by staying in the outskirts of the battle, picking on isolated targets and killing them before they even become a threat.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh boy!

My Steam exploration has brought me to the store page of a game I thought lost - about a year ago (or longer?) I found the website of a guy who made several really terrible-looking RPGs, but none of the download links worked and nothing was available for purchase anymore. I emailed the guy but didn't get a response.

Now one of his games popped up on Steam... for a ridiculously high price:

I'll bite the bullet if it ever goes on sale.

This was the page I originally found:
http://www.dragoon.ca/

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember this game from a video (probably by Jim Steling though i'm not sure) using it to make fun of Sony's playstation store curation because apparently it was also released on consoles. It didn't mention the name though, i only remember it because of the visuals.

So, eh, is it any good?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Tha6IMp.jpg

ninja X, Inspector Gadget, Red Sonja, Neo from the Matrix, Link from Zelda, Tifa FF7, Bad ass Butters.... and

yschxCC.jpg

Charizard from Pokemon!

Damn! What a line-up!!! What could possibly go wrong?

WHOA!! $29.99

And on PS4? Like wow man.... just wow.

Kyle? IRL South Park Kyle?

edit...
OH HO HO!
The original Demon Rush

hmmmm... can't get the original. I would have liked to take that for a spin. $20 & $30 though.... NO! Oddly, the older games aren't available.

1. The Demon Rush (unavailable)
2. Skylight (unavailable)
3. Skylight 2: Winters of Discontent (unavailable)
4. Skylight Freerange (unavailable)
5. Skylight Freerange 2: Gachduine (unavailable)
6. Dragooned (unavailable)
7. The Demon Rush: Legends Corrupt ($29.99)

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
So I found this thing which looks pretty interesting... action-RPG set in a dreamworld. Kinda cool.

I put it on my wishlist then read the news that the developer is shutting down and will remove the game from sale in the coming months.
Considering it's not that expensive, I bought a copy before it's too late. Gotta preserve the obscurities.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
majestic trials came out of early access a short while ago. if you were turned off by the fact that it was in early access, now's your chance:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So I found this thing which looks pretty interesting... action-RPG set in a dreamworld. Kinda cool.

I put it on my wishlist then read the news that the developer is shutting down and will remove the game from sale in the coming months.
Considering it's not that expensive, I bought a copy before it's too late. Gotta preserve the obscurities.

I checked the game and found the premise so interesting, that in the end I purchased it too. Sad to see the developer close doors, they seemed like ambitious people. Hope their final offering will be at least ok!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
So I just found this. Looks very amateurish and like trash tbh but intriguing enough to go on my wishlist. Gonna try it one of these days.

This is an RPG-ish space exploration game. The concept sounds cool, might give it a try.

Sci-fi anime tactical RPG with two characters.

This one isn't out yet, but it looks interesting enough. Also posted it in Abu Antar's upcoming RPGs thread, but it's obscure enough to deserve a spot here too. Looks promising.

A... stone age cooking RPG where you are a confectioner caveman designing desserts? What??

Did we have TI-calculator RPGs here yet? I doesn't get much more obscure than that. So here comes Joltima, a rather well made Ultima 3 inspired game with a big world to explore, enemies to squash in turn based combats, dungeons to discover and plunder... I actually purchased a TI-84 Plus this January just to be able to play this game.

https://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/171/17161.html

111qajz0.gif

Another interesting one: The Verdante Forest. One of the graphically best TI-83/84 games, gameplaywise very accessible and playable. Well made turn based combats. One of the most astonishing games on TI calculators.

https://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/347/34799.html

2222qfjxx.gif

And as a third example Ultima V. Now that's hardly an obscure game, but playing it on a TI-89 sure is!
A very well made port with some intelligent adaptions for the platform. An extremely impressive example of what is possible on a mere programmable calculator.

77443.gif

I purchased some of these old calculators just to be able to explore all their games. It's actually a very underestimated platform in my opinion. I'd recommend everybody to give it a try. But certainly you can also play most of the games on the versatile emulator Wabbitemu. You'll also need the ROM-files which you can get here.

Last edited:

Skdursh

Savant

I checked the game and found the premise so interesting, that in the end I purchased it too. Sad to see the developer close doors, they seemed like ambitious people. Hope their final offering will be at least ok!

The game left early access on Feb 11 and fully launched. Barely a month later they are shutting down their company and removing it from Steam. Seems pretty weird to me. It's also only 2 people, exactly why do they need to disband the company and remove the game from Steam? Too many questions here for me to want to support this.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The game left early access on Feb 11 and fully launched. Barely a month later they are shutting down their company and removing it from Steam. Seems pretty weird to me. It's also only 2 people, exactly why do they need to disband the company and remove the game from Steam? Too many questions here for me to want to support this.
Here's what they say in their FAQ about this:
Why will the game be removed from Steam?

A closed VAT number cannot make sales, neither here nor in any other store. As a result, we can no longer proceed to sales once it is permanently closed.

Developer

It's a bit strange, but it very much depends on the taxation and self-employment laws of their home country. It's understandable that, with the game selling poorly (hello indiepocalypse!), they want to shut the company down since they won't be earning enough to cover its running costs; but they should be able to change their steam taxation details to a personal tax number and keep on selling the game without a company.

Now, even with the reduced fees and paperwork (and increased liability and taxes :P) that come with selling the game as a person instead of as a company, it could very well be that they still won't cover costs or make enough to justify the time investment (eg: filing VAT forms).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

It's a bit strange, but it very much depends on the taxation and self-employment laws of their home country. It's understandable that, with the game selling poorly (hello indiepocalypse!), they want to shut the company down since they won't be earning enough to cover its running costs; but they should be able to change their steam taxation details to a personal tax number and keep on selling the game without a company.

Now, even with the reduced fees and paperwork (and increased liability and taxes :P) that come with selling the game as a person instead of as a company, it could very well be that they still won't cover costs or make enough to justify the time investment (eg: filing VAT forms).

tl;dr: taxation is theft!

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I would like to introduce everyone to STWALT. The developer is taking like a 10 year break but plans to come back to it one day.

The full name of the game is Save The World At Lunchtime, so it only takes up to 30 minutes to beat the game. You won't beat the game. You will die many times.

The google drive of the developer's games are here. Download stwalt_36.exe.
LastWinterSurvivalRPG is also a decent RPG.

QiEzvlZ.png

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
lots of gems in this thread. big thanks to all for participating. i'll see if i can dig up a few to share sometime.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
i can't seem to edit posts, so sorry for the double here. but i want to repeat, Battles Of Norghan is a simply smashing tactical RPG/sim. i've only played a half hour or so but it was enough to get a merc company up and running, as well as win my first battle. it ticks a lot of the boxes of what u want in a simulation of mercenary management as well as combat. i'm looking way forward to playing more but i don't want to start too many new games while i have others unfinished. check it out, though, if it sounds interesting to u.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/531110/Battles_of_Norghan/

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
yet another post! :) i was digging this afternoon and found a few that may interest u guys, maybe?

The protectors of Deya
Plunder
Waste Walkers
Lawless Lands
Disgraced

i grabbed a fe w of em on sale. Can't link at the moment as I'm using the app. Hope this helps someone. Much love. <3

yet another post! :) i was digging this afternoon and found a few that may interest u guys, maybe?

The protectors of Deya
Plunder
Waste Walkers
Lawless Lands
Disgraced

i grabbed a fe w of em on sale. Can't link at the moment as I'm using the app. Hope this helps someone. Much love. <3
I have to say I was rather astonished by the quality of Waste Walkers and the other games this magnificent guy created. I purchased them all. Very strong atmosphere, great open exploration, quite some nice gameplay ideas. I haven't played much of these games yet but what I've played felt very solid and rather unique.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom