Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[ALL PHYSICAL COPIES SOLD OUT!] Realms of Quest V for the VIC-20 (digital version is available)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Wait hold on, Ultimate Quest for C64? the one named Catacomb? i thought that was an unfinished "demo"

http://realmsofquest.blogspot.com/2013/10/vintage-1989-crpg-ultimate-quest-is.html

Description: Vintage CRPG from 1989 that was almost finished is now finally available.

Me and a friend in high school started programming a computer role playing game for the C64 in 1988. It was ambitious for us at the time; it features a city map, wilderness areas and a dungeon to explore. By mid-1989, while we we had done most of the elements featured in the game that you see here, they were quite disjointed and it was full of bugs. So we abandoned it in a semi-finished state. 24 years after the project had been abandoned, I decided to finally finish it so that it can be part of the upcoming Psytronik release, Realms of Quest IV (for the VIC-20).

All of the maps, graphics and original text have been preserved. The main improvements was debugging the game, making sure that all the elements are properly connected and rewriting the slow BASIC routines to draw the maps on the screen into fast assembly language. A new splash screen to introduce the game was created, and it will be included in Psytronik release.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
I have set October 1 as my final deadline where I will no longer do any more revisions to Realms of Quest V, and with just a few hours before the end of this day, I am keeping that self-imposed promise. Now, that doesn't mean that this is definitive--if someone were to show me a reproducible bug, then I would certainly try to fix it and then provide a new update. But from here on out, I consider the game to be fully completed and "feature locked". But I feel now that I am about 95% satisfied with the game as it is--far more than when I looked at my game about a month after it was published in physical form back in August of 2019. Certainly there is some text I could improve or some oddly placed pixels that could be taken out, but at some point, one has to let go of such a massive project. Sometimes "good enough" just simply has to be good enough. In the 3+ years that it took me to complete the game, I learned a lot about the discipline it takes to work every day on a long term goal or project. I am using this skill to dedicate about an hour every day to learn new technical skills to advance my career in the technology sector. Right now, I am on a track to becoming a certified AWS Devops Engineer.

If you have purchased the game and would like to receive this update, PM me with your email address after which I will ask for a receipt for proof of purchase and then I'll send it to you.

file.php

*****************************************************************************************************************
Revision 1.50 changes:
-------------------------------
-Fixed a color display bug in land/city/dungeon modules when cancelling a spell
-Selecting Give, Pay & Join in city conversation will flash the text area to provide a tactile response
-Selecting Bye during a city conversation will pause longer at the 'Farewell' message
-The Tablet is now multicolored for the Search command
-There are now 2 digital versions of the manual: Medieval font with original cover and Arial font with alternate cover
-The sailing ship icon now has animation
-Fixed bug with level draining
-Fixed bug with raise dead/resurrection where players with 0 maximum HP (permanently dead) were being revived with 0 hit points
-Corrected the Vigilant Armor so that it becomes Chain Mail+4 instead of Plate Mail+5 when it is destroyed (because this is a Priest item)
-Fixed bug so that when an ally is autokilled, its symbol is no longer displayed
-Fixed bug with Use Item->Gate Spell where the spell effect graphics became garbled afterwards
-Fixed display issues with resting at the Inn
-Reduced flicker when traveling over dangerous land or dungeon tiles
-Reduced flicker when printing numbers on the screen
-Fixed bug with greeting monsters
-Added Disk Labels graphic file to the digital download
-Changed the back cover to include a large, full screen graphic portrait image
-Fixed bug where "Use Item" would sometimes not ask the player if they wanted to use an item from their Personal items or Inventory
-Fixed display bug after using an item that had the Dimension Door power
-The screen will flash briefly when a traveling spell's effect has run out
-You can now see the direction that you're moving when you're inside the dungeons

Revision 1.40 changes:
-The cursor color for 'Select Player' is now white, making it more visible.
-You can no longer cancel buff, clone, cure or heal spells for single player (this avoids the wasting of spell units by accident).
-You can use the exit keys from the History or Settings menu to return to the main menu.
-You can no longer remove allies (this was an almost never-used option)
-"Save & Return" has replaced "Return to Main" in the settings menu.
-Graphics display data is no longer corrupted when viewing a player who wields a missile weapon
-Fixed bug for "Use Item" where selecting an empty item to inspect caused the menu to change
-You can now use items directly from the inventory in non-combat mode (this reduces the need for having to equip them first, especially in the case of single-use items)
-You can now swap a player's equipment directly from the party inventory (this reduces switching between various menu contexts)
-Queen Alania is wearing fuller armor on the cover of the manual (this doesn't change what has been published in physical form, this is just my personal preference.)
-Added the "What We Are Fighting For" section on page 35 (replaces the full page image that used to be there)
-Added "Notes On The Revised Edition" on page 51 that explains why I still continue to work on this project, long after it was published in physical form.

Revision 1.30 changes:
-New items: Aspergillum, Balthazar Ring, Blade Of Titus, Phase Armor, Shield Of Grace, Spirit Shield and Vigilant Armor were added
-Improved the presentation of the Items and Monster listings in Appendixes B & C of the manual
-Revised Armor Class values for Tiamat and Bahamut.
-Revised and corrected the XP values (LEV) for the more powerful monsters.
-Fixed a major bug (that was introduced in version 1.20) with the inventory that was causing the game to crash

Revision 1.20 changes:
-Added images to death slideshow sequence
-Added 2 images for the "Dark Times" sequence
-Added digitized map to "Castle Rivaria" sequence
-Added additional images to "Civil War" sequence
-Made the in-game Search Tablet chart easier to read (to match what appears on page 34 of the manual)
-Changed "Acknowledgements" to "About This Game" to show a slideshow sequence about the features. Acknowledgements are listed at the end of the sequence.
-The Allies menu allows you to view information about your companions directly from here
-You can choose to view "alignment-sex-race-class" with runes symbols or 2-letter abbreviations
-The number keys can be used to switch the player that you are currently looking at with the View command.
-View Pic allows you to select additional player portraits to view when you are under this command
-Exit keys can be used to go from "menu mode" to "movement mode"
-A "Join" symbol appears next to the player when they have an ally.
-The number of files that are loaded when the game boots have been reduced

Revision 1.10 changes:
-Lady Carmilla Bane's portion of the tablet is now located in the centre. This makes more sense from an aesthetic perspective.
-The village leaders now give you tangible clues on how to succeed in the game (instead of them saying "We saw orcs marauding in Samunda!" which is random and meaningless, they will say something quite useful like "Protection from Evil will raise the armor of your entire party during battle!")
-3 magic spells have been modified (for the sake of game balance)
-There were minor spelling and grammatical errors that needed to be corrected.
-Several graphical slideshow sequences have been added to the "History And Lore" section of the main menu. <- I found that I had a lot of free space across 4 disks after I implemented compression, so I decided to make use of it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I have set October 1 as my final deadline where I will no longer do any more revisions to Realms of Quest V, and with just a few hours before the end of this day, I am keeping that self-imposed promise. Now, that doesn't mean that this is definitive--if someone were to show me a reproducible bug, then I would certainly try to fix it and then provide a new update. But from here on out, I consider the game to be fully completed and "feature locked". But I feel now that I am about 95% satisfied with the game as it is--far more than when I looked at my game about a month after it was published in physical form back in August of 2019. Certainly there is some text I could improve or some oddly placed pixels that could be taken out, but at some point, one has to let go of such a massive project. Sometimes "good enough" just simply has to be good enough. In the 3+ years that it took me to complete the game, I learned a lot about the discipline it takes to work every day on a long term goal or project. I am using this skill to dedicate about an hour every day to learn new technical skills to advance my career in the technology sector. Right now, I am on a track to becoming a certified AWS Devops Engineer.

If you have purchased the game and would like to receive this update, PM me with your email address after which I will ask for a receipt for proof of purchase and then I'll send it to you.

file.php

*****************************************************************************************************************
Revision 1.50 changes:
-Fixed a color display bug in land/city/dungeon modules when cancelling a spell
-Selecting Give, Pay & Join in city conversation will flash the text area to provide a tactile response
-Selecting Bye during a city conversation will pause longer at the 'Farewell' message
-The Tablet is now multicolored for the Search command
-There are now 2 digital versions of the manual: Medieval font with original cover and Arial font with alternate cover
-The sailing ship icon now has animation
-Fixed bug with level draining
-Fixed bug with raise dead/resurrection where players with 0 maximum HP (permanently dead) were being revived with 0 hit points
-Corrected the Vigilant Armor so that it becomes Chain Mail+4 instead of Plate Mail+5 when it is destroyed (because this is a Priest item)
-Fixed bug so that when an ally is autokilled, its symbol is no longer displayed
-Fixed bug with Use Item->Gate Spell where the spell effect graphics became garbled afterwards
-Fixed display issues with resting at the Inn
-Reduced flicker when traveling over dangerous land or dungeon tiles
-Reduced flicker when printing numbers on the screen
-Fixed bug with greeting monsters
-Added Disk Labels graphic file to the digital download
-Changed the back cover to include a large, full screen graphic portrait image
-Fixed bug where "Use Item" would sometimes not ask the player if they wanted to use an item from their Personal items or Inventory
-Fixed display bug after using an item that had the Dimension Door power
-The screen will flash briefly when a traveling spell's effect has run out
-You can now see the direction that you're moving when you're inside the dungeons

Revision 1.40 changes:
-The cursor color for 'Select Player' is now white, making it more visible.
-You can no longer cancel buff, clone, cure or heal spells for single player (this avoids the wasting of spell units by accident).
-You can use the exit keys from the History or Settings menu to return to the main menu.
-You can no longer remove allies (this was an almost never-used option)
-"Save & Return" has replaced "Return to Main" in the settings menu.
-Graphics display data is no longer corrupted when viewing a player who wields a missile weapon
-Fixed bug for "Use Item" where selecting an empty item to inspect caused the menu to change
-You can now use items directly from the inventory in non-combat mode (this reduces the need for having to equip them first, especially in the case of single-use items)
-You can now swap a player's equipment directly from the party inventory (this reduces switching between various menu contexts)
-Queen Alania is wearing fuller armor on the cover of the manual (this doesn't change what has been published in physical form, this is just my personal preference.)
-Added the "What We Are Fighting For" section on page 35 (replaces the full page image that used to be there)
-Added "Notes On The Revised Edition" on page 51 that explains why I still continue to work on this project, long after it was published in physical form.

Revision 1.30 changes:
-New items: Aspergillum, Balthazar Ring, Blade Of Titus, Phase Armor, Shield Of Grace, Spirit Shield and Vigilant Armor were added
-Improved the presentation of the Items and Monster listings in Appendixes B & C of the manual
-Revised Armor Class values for Tiamat and Bahamut.
-Revised and corrected the XP values (LEV) for the more powerful monsters.
-Fixed a major bug (that was introduced in version 1.20) with the inventory that was causing the game to crash

Revision 1.20 changes:
-Added images to death slideshow sequence
-Added 2 images for the "Dark Times" sequence
-Added digitized map to "Castle Rivaria" sequence
-Added additional images to "Civil War" sequence
-Made the in-game Search Tablet chart easier to read (to match what appears on page 34 of the manual)
-Changed "Acknowledgements" to "About This Game" to show a slideshow sequence about the features. Acknowledgements are listed at the end of the sequence.
-The Allies menu allows you to view information about your companions directly from here
-You can choose to view "alignment-sex-race-class" with runes symbols or 2-letter abbreviations
-The number keys can be used to switch the player that you are currently looking at with the View command.
-View Pic allows you to select additional player portraits to view when you are under this command
-Exit keys can be used to go from "menu mode" to "movement mode"
-A "Join" symbol appears next to the player when they have an ally.
-The number of files that are loaded when the game boots have been reduced

Revision 1.10 changes:
-Lady Carmilla Bane's portion of the tablet is now located in the centre. This makes more sense from an aesthetic perspective.
-The village leaders now give you tangible clues on how to succeed in the game (instead of them saying "We saw orcs marauding in Samunda!" which is random and meaningless, they will say something quite useful like "Protection from Evil will raise the armor of your entire party during battle!")
-3 magic spells have been modified (for the sake of game balance)
-There were minor spelling and grammatical errors that needed to be corrected.
-Several graphical slideshow sequences have been added to the "History And Lore" section of the main menu. <- I found that I had a lot of free space across 4 disks after I implemented compression, so I decided to make use of it.

Does the update gets uploaded to Double Side Games store? Then everyone who bought it could just download from there

Fantastic! I awaited this last update very eagerly. Now I hope there will soon be news about the next physical batch, I just have to get this game on my shelf. Make haste, Double Sided Games! :)

edit: I just checked, yes, on DSG it's still the ancient 1.2 version. I got my update as an email but it would be good if they update it on their website.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
I started tinkering with my game again. In addition to optimizing code, I just added a feature to the "Reveal Location" spell where it not only tells you what your X,Y,Z coordinates are, but it gives you a bird's eye view of the of the dungeon. It's similar to the MAP command in "Pool of Radiance" except that it will cost you spell units to use it. I figure that the game shouldn't be too easy and allow you to move around in automap mode.

file.php

I started tinkering with my game again. In addition to optimizing code, I just added a feature to the "Reveal Location" spell where it not only tells you what your X,Y,Z coordinates are, but it gives you a bird's eye view of the of the dungeon. It's similar to the MAP command in "Pool of Radiance" except that it will cost you spell units to use it. I figure that the game shouldn't be too easy and allow you to move around in automap mode.

file.php
That's a very useful feature! I look forward to version 1.6. :)

That's a very useful feature! I look forward to version 1.6. :)

Thanks! And here I was considering locking away the source code to stop me from being tempted to tinker with my game.
Can't say I'm particularly unhappy about your decision to continue tinkering with your wonderful game! :)

More screenshots of what is coming:

file.php
I know 2020 was a ghastly year, but we can't simply ignore it by pretending it's already 2021! ;)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, its 2021 now. I must admit its neat to see updates on vic-20 games. This just wasn't possible back in the day and i know there were games i played that i wished had certain features and error fixes.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
I also wanted to let you all know that with the help of a translator, I've started to work on a Japanese language version of the game. I'm going to base the character set on that of the VIC-1001, which are Katakana characters. For those who don't know, the VIC-1001 was released in Japan a few months before the VIC-20 would be released in North America and Europe.

Here's a preview of what the manual might look like:

file.php

The game will also support the VIC-1001 Katakana keyboard matrix, so that you can type in the names of the player characters that you create with Katakana characters.

file.php

The following is just a mockup that the translator provided for me:

file.php

And this is my editing the character set to match that of the VIC-1001's Katakana characters. Because my game displays a lot of graphics, it will only support displaying Japanese text without English on the screen at the same time.

file.php

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
file.php

I recently released version 2.00 of the game. I chose to go from 1.50 to 2.00 because I think this update provides the most tangible upgrades in terms of features.

Revision 2.00 changes:

-If you select the same monster that was chosen previously in the book of beasts, the file doesn't reload from disk
-A higher resolution version of the map is included in the digital download file
-An image of the medallion is included in the digital download file
-Fixed bug with Civil War slideshow (D81 version)
-Fixed bug with the decompressor
-Added a "Program is Loading" screen along with a memory expansion test (minimum 32K expansion required)
-Reveal location spell now also shows the map view from overhead instead of using the line of sight point of view (when on land or inside a city)
-Reveal location spell in the dungeon functions like an automap feature where you get to see the overhead view of a grid line-based map
-Fixed bug with Void Dungeon #2 that was trying to load Cerberus as a boss minion (monster no longer exists)
-Every time a new monster row attacks, its row is now highlighted
-Reduced screen redraw "blank-flash" in various areas of the game
-35K expander provides additional graphics for: Kill Zones (dungeon), Falling in pits (dungeon), hand raised in victory (combat), floppy disk (save game & prompt for inserting another disk side), stairs up/down (dungeon), and a party image (for player management)
-A Japanese language version of the manual is now available (thanks to Uncoda)
-You can view the main menu in the Japanese language by selecting the Katakana font from the settings sub-menu
-When you open a treasure chest, if your inventory is full then the 15th item gets replaced by the new item that you find. This is to avoid situations where final boss treasures are not found--because some of these are needed to progress in, or to win the game.

Links from where you can buy Realms of Quest products:

Realms of Quest V (Double Sided Games): https://doublesidedgames.com/shop/commo ... f-quest-v/
Realms of Quest Quadrilogy (Psytronik): http://binaryzone.org/retrostore/index. ... cts_id=468
Komoda & Amiga Plus Magazine #15: http://ka-plus.pl/en/issue-15/

Online video and web reviews of the game can be seen here:

*VIDEO SERIES* Zerfall and Auld Dragon do a playthrough of Realms V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCjjg0u ... el=Zerfall
*BLOG SERIES* Ruby Golem Adventures in the Realms Of Quest: https://rubygolem.wordpress.com/
Robin 8 Bit Show And Tell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUsYNwISNNs
Chickhead Chronicles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-96vLn_SNzY
8 Bit Guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIKKuyGoqwI&fbclid

Realms of Quest V is one of the very few games I like so much that I desperately want the boxed version with the cloth map. I'm pestering Jérémie over at Double Sided Games for months now about the planned third batch but still no news... I didn't even get an answer for my last inquiry in fact. :(

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
No. Odd mine are all d64 files

What you get are v1, 1.1, 1.2 zips files that have:
File folder of many game files called -
RoQ5-game-files. (No i won't thpe out all the file names)

REALMS5A.D64
REALMS5B.D64
REALMS5C.D64
REALMS5D.D64
REALMS5FULL.D81
roq-label-disk-AB.png
roq-label-disk-CD.png
Roq5-nanual-web.pdf
RoQ5-Map.jog

I am pretty sure that is all. And it is stored on the webstore cloud server as well.

Product: Realms of Quest V - Digital
Downloads Remaining: ∞
Expires: Never
Download roq5-dd-v1.1.zip

Last edited:
If you buy the digital edition does it come with a emulator?
Yes! If you purchase the game on the website, Ghislain will send you the most recent package by email, ready to play with the emulator. The one on Double Sided Games is utterly out of date, the most recent version by Ghislain is 2.0 which includes many new features. I wouldn't advise anybody to play the version from DSG as it still contains some rather nasty bugs. I'd purchase it there and give Ghislain a PM here.

KeighnMcDeath That's strange, didn't you get the updated versions by email from Ghislain? I'd bring that to his attention. I'm sure he'll send you the most recent game.

By the way, the boxed edition of this beautiful game still is one of my Holy Grails/Moby Dicks. I really want to get that for my collection but it's so darned elusive. Can't find it anywhere used. And I fear we'll have to forget about a third batch from DSG. I pestered them over the last years again and again (guess they must be quite annoyed by me) - maybe if others do the same it would help?

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Believe me I'd but boxed editions if I had the space but sadly, it isn't the case.

Roger, I'll send him a pm for 2.0. Er... Ghislain?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
That game is awesome looking. Very inspirational to see what a bit of thoughtfulness can cram into 32k of memory. The graphics and portraits are so retro they are creating a time warp back into 1983.

(I have so many one-shots of monster portraits now I've been thinking of doing an encounter window turn based blobber like this. They have a certain charm that is undeniable.)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
They push that vic20 to the limits. I'd still play them in order though if you haven't. I love retro games and graphics and sound (well sound to a point). Its why I try to get emulators of all types running since I can't refurbish the old hardware (no space or time).

They push that vic20 to the limits. I'd still play them in order though if you haven't. I love retro games and graphics and sound (well sound to a point). Its why I try to get emulators of all types running since I can't refurbish the old hardware (no space or time).
I just got the boxed CE of the first four games last week. Would you recommend to play them all from the beginning? Did you play through all of them?

Sotomonte

Educated
...The one on Double Sided Games is utterly out of date, the most recent version by Ghislain is 2.0 which includes many new features. I wouldn't advise anybody to play the version from DSG as it still contains some rather nasty bugs. I'd purchase it there and give Ghislain a PM here.

And why not update the version of the web? It would be much easier than buying the game and having to message the developer to get the latest version.

:nocountryforshitposters:

I don't know why DSG doesn't care to update the game on their website. I do prefer Ghislain's mailed versions though. They come already packed with VICE and some nice additional materials.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, I should have went that route. I alway prefer to play a series from the beginning. I actually just got the files for 1-4 and... now I have VICE working correctly so I can get my paper, notes, and coffee to play them in Order.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Thank you all for your messages and compliments. Even my worthy adversary Cleve has chimed in, and I am humbled honestly (I also backed Grimoire and I was ecstatic when it came out). My game is a bit of a wokefest though :). But those who know me would recognize that I'm being somewhat tongue in cheek and ironic in that regard.

I'm sorry if the publisher is not producing any more physical copies. As for updates, I will email anyone with an up to date version who has purchased the game. While I felt that it was completed when I originally submitted it to the publisher, I saw many things that could be improved upon after the fact. So I just kept tinkering with it and adding more and more content. I still made a few more changes after 2.0, but I will send out 2.5 some time next year as I consider the game to finally being in a "feature complete" state and I'm just fixing spelling and grammatical errors now.

Some people think that Realms IV was a bit rushed and incomplete. And looking back, I think it was. There were major events in my life at the time (death of someone who is close to me, job loss, and a fire in my home) that caused me to have a nervous breakdown and so I sent it to the publisher rather than wait 1-2 years after everything was settled. I also made the mistake of making the game in largely BASIC (Realms III was entirely machine language), thinking that as a turn based RPG game, I could more easily program the calculations for combats, etc. I returned to going 100% ML in Realms V, however.

As for playing the entire series in order--I don't think it is that necessary. The look and feel of Realms V far overshadows anything that I had done previously in terms of graphics and the interface. Ultimate Quest for the C64 (included with Realms IV) was my first attempt at making a CRPG back in the 1980s, but I was just 14 years old and while about 90% of the game elements were complete, I didn't have the ability to put it all together (I was only able to finally finish it 25 years later). Realms I was a more modest attempt that I was able to complete shortly after that. Realms II was basically my return to making games for the VIC-20 platform and then I made Realms III when I found out that there were publishers who actually released new games for old platforms.

Although I have not officially started work on Realms VI, I am currently dabbling with some preliminary artwork for it (if I ever decide to make it). This time, I will go for an aesthetic that resembles something from the 1980s while eliminating the digitized artifacts and dithered effects (it's more time consuming to do it this way as I am largely doing it mostly by hand). I'm also more interested in doing a pure dungeon crawler as it's much easier to have a linear progression (the deeper you go into the dungeon, the harder the quest/monsters become). I'd also re-use about 90% of the previous game's engine, but I want to introduce health/magic graph bars instead of numbers to convey this information. Here's some sample artwork:

FGVi4whVUAABhXx
FGfZerRVcAEqyR9

FGjMZzAVIAYlm2j
FGacH3YVgAEH0F1

But I will only work on this part time as I have made my career and my family my priority. I had the misfortune (or luxury) of being unemployed when I made the bulk of Realms V. And I've also upgraded my knowledge of computers beyond the Commodore platform now as I recently passed the AWS DevOps Professional certification.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom