Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Diablo 2 Ressurected is Censorship per Mark Kern

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Blizzard North; Diablo 2 Resurrected; Mark Kern

D-Rezzed has a very short article featuring the tweets from Mark Kern about how Diablo 2 Resurrected's new art style is actually censoring the original game. How? He specifically mentions the Trannazon criticism that many players have made. There's also a video with all the citations and summaries of what the allegations are.

The Amazon was always revealing. In fact, we fought hard to keep it that way as part of the them, as there was some push to change it, even back then.

Sucks to see something we fought for get erased in a souless, corporate remaster.

— Grummz (@Grummz) April 13, 2021

While the assertion is made that they're making these changes to appeal to the Chinese market, that doesn't explain the changes to the Paladin at all. Last I checked, I don't think the Chinese government would like that change either.

Edit: Ed123 pointed me to this tweet from Kern as well as this article on NicheGamer.

Why did Blizzard take issue updating the graphics with sexual elements, if they did not object to showing those same elements with the original graphics? If they knew players would object to modifying the original designs, why stray from them when updating them for Resurrected? If keeping the original graphics is going to keep the game’s rating at M for Mature, why bother censoring at all?​
Why indeed. If it's so offensive you need to censor the new graphics up, why include the origiinal graphics with the remaster? That's another great question.

A horse of course

The D-Rezzed article is low-effort garbage that says "Blizzard is censoring Diablo 2 to appeal to China" without going into detail and then shows the Kern quotes.

The video (after 1 minute of shilling themselves) just reads the fucking article and a couple of twatter poasts. For 9 minutes and 3 seconds. Plus the 1 minute of shilling to hit the magic youtuber advertizer 10 minute mark.

I haven't really investigated it myself but this article seems to actually try and go through all the changes:

https://nichegamer.com/2021/04/12/g...d-alpha-test-censorship-amazon-butt-and-more/

Saint_Proverbius no offense butt I don't see the point of poasting it (the clownfish article) as "news" at all. This is getting dangerously close to Infinitron-tier Obsidian newspoasting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Werdnicus

Learned
I am still not convinced that making the amazon more ugly, making the pally black-er are not just diversion tactics to keep me from asking the real question:

Why the fuck should I buy a 20 year old game again for full price?

Gregz

Arcane
This is getting dangerously close to Infinitron-tier Obsidian newspoasting.
Let's be honest, posting garbage "news" like this is much worse than Infinitron's Obsidian news.

:what:

WTF is wrong with you guys? Aren't you tired of publisher-approved marketing, shilling, and spin? I know I am. More grassroots news is an upgrade. The majority of Codex news should be "by gamers, for gamers". This trannyzon crap is a serious issue that many people are upset about, and he does a good job of explaining what's going on.

A horse of course

Let's be honest, posting garbage "news" like this is much worse than Infinitron's Obsidian news.

WTF is wrong with you guys? Aren't you tired of publisher-approved marketing, shilling, and spin? I know I am. More grassroots news is an upgrade. The majority of Codex news should be by gamers, for gamers. This trannyzon crap is a serious issue that many people are upset about, and he does a good job of explaining what's going on.

I agree there's a case to be made for making a newspoast on these changes, my point is that it was a very, very low-effort newspoast.

Sentinel

Arcane
I really don't get why anyone is obsessed with the Amazon when there's a worse offender

OZqicP5.png

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
perhaps codex could have a panel on homepage like "interesting/featured posts" that would be just links inside forum?
As it stands there is a lot of redundancy

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
PeachCurl said:
Especially with that thumbnail it's nice click bait.

I'll admit, that thumbnail is pretty damned funny. That's what got me to watch the video in the first place. But hey, that meme thumbnail is pretty spot on. The Amazon is hideous. I wasn't aware of a lot of the changes they made until reading both of those articles and checking out the screenshots. And I ask the same question again, if it's so offensive that they have to change all that with the new graphics, why are they including the old and "offensive" graphics with the remaster? Maybe they could call the old graphics, "Offensive Mode".

For Clownfish, maybe. We don't get a dime out of it.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Anyone who is buying activision shit in current year (it ain't blizzard anymore) deserves what they get.
Remakes that don't add anything but shinier graphics are like shitty covers of great songs, you just wonder what the point was, and annoyed that you experienced it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

WTF is wrong with you guys? Aren't you tired of publisher-approved marketing, shilling, and spin? I know I am. More grassroots news is an upgrade. The majority of Codex news should be "by gamers, for gamers". This trannyzon crap is a serious issue that many people are upset about, and he does a good job of explaining what's going on.
Don't tell me that tje Codex news should be about butthurt twitter posts from retards.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Ah, you've got to give it to Blizzard. They recognize that they're are so creatively bankrupt that the only way forward is to do remasters/remakes until they buy some more talent back into the company.

That's not gonna happen.

laclongquan

Arcane
If they just do the remaster thing it's fine. Creatively bankrupt but at least they can eat their own legacy.

It's when they want to use their creatively bankruption to remake the old gold that is the problem. They surely wont sell the new thing, and they ruin the old thing.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I really don't get why anyone is obsessed with the Amazon when there's a worse offender

OZqicP5.png
Looking closely, are we sure the old assassin ain't a transgender? Face in either is meh. Hips in the second are bleh. Is it that hard to make smoking hot models? Where's the side by side for the other pcs or npcs? I'm curious what they look like. I guess andariel is going to be the biggest disappointment. So much for BDSM titty-chain tassels and thong.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

99s8GwW.jpg

Some looks good and in some ways... looks blurred shit. No flagstone definition. And I noticed this in other areas as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom