Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-laser-humanoid-crit.gif

"Overcharged Laser Drill - a scary makeshift rifle fashioned from a laser drill tip with safeties removed and power circuits overcharged."

Here's another final laser critical hit special animation.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1063540/announcements/detail/3017946057974921978

Release date version
We launched a month ago but today was our original EA release date

New, improved and upgraded version of Space Wreck Demo is available! It contains a lot of bugfixes, usability improvements, a tiny bit of new content here and there and even new visuals! Want to know more, scroll down and read in detail. Pictures included!

While our original EA launch date was Feb. 25 (today) we released it as a free demo almost a month ago for the Festival and is still is available without restrictions ever since. We received a ton of feedback and suggestions from various sources -here in Steam community, RPG Codex, Twitter and TIG Forums as well as various streams and videos. I want to take a moment and express gratitude to everyone that played and shared their experience - thank you!

Based on this feedback we have fixed numerous bugs. And, additionally, we have a ton of new things/upgrades/improvements. Without further ado, here are some of them:

Better visual feedback in combat

Brand new visual effects to telegraph combat actions better. Plus, now there are special, sometimes gruesome animations if your last hit is a critical success...

d9f9ef4217fbf7dc22c6ecfd88ddbbec3b281eb7.gif

Easier to read

We increased text size and even completely revamped UI in some places to improve readability.

f11ccb2a7a12cafd2fb30fceb9fed0f25eae7942.png

Why run if you can fly?

People requested faster movement. Instead, we gave them the ability to fly

b20186f4335608b7aef7eb849f5a7cabb8f706fb.gif

Better inventory

Apart from bigger text size, inventory now also features multiple filters - armor, weapons, keys, drugs - to make ruffling through your possesions easier:

bac2ded95fa5e5fb2d6cf67861eedd3aa4c66515.gif

Correct cambot functions

This game is very much about avoiding combat in multiple ways and some builds have so few hit-points that a single shot can be fatal. To avoid accidental deaths on a simple wrong turn, we adjusted station security bots to warn first and attack only if the player ignores it. This actually is the expected behavior of space station security systems lore-wise.

8e74fdf71c16260566c6f489b3eb56a06305c7ff.gif

Better dice rolls

Rolling dice is a major part of the game! We added difficulty and fail/success indicators to make the messaging clearer and the ability to skip the animation with a single click.

2f2b549640f7e6cc90a5740693266598b470b57b.gif

These and many other smaller details have been changed and adjusted behind the scenes. Like the ambient music in the background that was missing before.

If you wanted to check the Space Wreck Demo out but somehow skipped it, this version could be what you were waiting for. Or, if you played on the launch, there are enough differences to jump in again.

In any way, we are anxious to hear all about your adventures and experiences!

Good luck captain!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly, this seems like one of the most innovative upcoming RPGs. I haven't tried the demo because I wanna go into the full release version as blindly as possible.

All those cool little details in combat, like overheating robots with lasers or being able to kick people into space, are just super cool and show that the dev is thinking about interesting ways to spice up the combat system rather than just slapping a generic Fallout-like system into the game. Absolute concentrated incline of the highest order :salute:

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Thanks for the re-post of the update announcement! And thanks for the warm reception here, Codex has been a really valuable resource, with plenty of spot-on commentary and feedback. :salute:

Black Angel

Arcane
I love the intro cinematic. Very 'Fallout', with those first-person shots and all.

Also, I kinda like how you do the gender options here; instead of blatantly state what your character has on their crotch, the game simply implies if the character has the 'stereotypical feature' of certain gender (of which obviously there's only 2 in the world); or none at all, and this translates to having bonus attribute. I hope you'll follow it through and make it so the game recognize player's choice in this aspect throughout the game. Would love some wacky, "It's a trap!" shenanigan.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-rip-off-armor.gif

Weapons are more than DMG dispensers in Space Wreck. Take for example knives - if you attack someone with a blade, it shows new bonus options, like PUNCTURE and RIP. This is because knives are good for dealing with armor - PUNCTURE let's you bypass armor completely (though, with a difficulty penalty) but RIP, at cost of severly reduce damage, directly affects armor integrity - couple of slashes and enemy is no longer protected by its shell. It is even more effective if combat happens to take place in space.

Sometimes it makes sense to bring a knife to a gun fight.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SW-rip-off-armor.gif

Weapons are more than DMG dispensers in Space Wreck. Take for example knives - if you attack someone with a blade, it shows new bonus options, like PUNCTURE and RIP. This is because knives are good for dealing with armor - PUNCTURE let's you bypass armor completely (though, with a difficulty penalty) but RIP, at cost of severly reduce damage, directly affects armor integrity - couple of slashes and enemy is no longer protected by its shell. It is even more effective if combat happens to take place in space.

Sometimes it makes sense to bring a knife to a gun fight.

So does ripping someone's space suit in space lead to issues like asphyxiation and freezing?

Love how the guy just stands in his undies once his armor is ripped lmao.

Doktor Best

Arcane
So has anyone played the demo yet? I just recently got back into PK and i want to keep the momentum up, but i am interested nonetheless.

Man i need more time for crpgs.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-character-evaluator.gif

How you create your character will determine how you will play the game. That is why Space Academy will now evaluate your character for the position of captain beforehand!
(SPOILERS: you get the job)

Turns out the character build is really important and you have to make this decision - that will define the rest of your game - before even seeing how it works. This caused some pushback from early access players and we have adjusted the initial flow. First, there is this character evaluator, that highlights your strong suits and, also, flags the potential issues (e.g. that you cannot talk to NPCs). Secondly, you get fewer skill points in the beginning but you also get a few early quests that trigger basic interactions thus you can adjust your build slightly having experienced the game a bit.

There is some tuning to be expected but you can see this flow in action already.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My only major complaint is visibility and readability of the environment. Other that, what I played was promising.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-nu-ui-teller.gif

Say 'HELLO!' to the new user interface!

Based on the feedback from early access ("demo") players we got - substantially from the Codex - we have reworked the main user interface. Today is a small, yet probably most important part - the screenslate is now a dynamic and central part of the whole UI. In compact mode, it displays action/vombat log - the same as the bottom left before (and the small screen in the isometric Fallout games). Turns out, many players do pay attention to the descriptions and feedback so it made sense to make it bigger, easier to read. Besides, much like rolling dice, a storyteller fits well with the whole pen-and-paper shtick.

And one last, but possibly very substantial benefit of the new UI is that we save you a click - you can now open Inventory, Charsheet, ToDo directly as the screen is technically always available.

But this is just the tip of the iceberg - there are ton of smaller changes all across the board. Will talk about them later, stay tuned!

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
This is a nice demo playthrough with good production quality (montage/recut) by Clan Iwan:

Fun fact: ~3 years ago iwan produced "let's play" of the first - then still hand-drawn - version of Space Wreck:

This might be one of the only recordings of that version and shows how the game has changed over the years.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-nu-ui-inventory.gif

As promised, new details about the new UI rework. This time - updated the inventory screen. Now utility buttons are right where you need them, there's more space for item description, and a separate tab for stats. You can even compare armor and weapons against your current loadout now.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-lose-FOCUS.gif

If you have very low FOCUS (1) you may lose concentration in dialogues or reading computer terminals. If there's too much text it turns to bla bla bla sometimes.

Why? Because Space Wreck is about role-playing even if it is inconvenient sometimes.

bandersnatch

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Haven't seen this one before, but I'm digging the attention to detail and the old school blue DOS style text interface!

lightbane

Arcane
There's a thing as "too much realism"... But this looks like an INT1 Fallout play-through, which may be funny.

Black Angel

Arcane
SW-lose-FOCUS.gif

If you have very low FOCUS (1) you may lose concentration in dialogues or reading computer terminals. If there's too much text it turns to bla bla bla sometimes.

Why? Because Space Wreck is about role-playing even if it is inconvenient sometimes.
Goddamn you, beautiful bastard!

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-command-success-2.gif

If you have high CHARM, you can play as a commander, giving direct orders to your followers. That means literally taking over their characters.

SW-command-inventory-management.gif

That means not just movement. You can directly manage their inventory - what armor, weapon to use, what drugs to consume, etc.

Also, they can use computer terminals and workstations for you, pick locked doors - this way you get to utilize the whole set of skills your team has.

Of course, if you fail the roll, your companions will refuse to follow your orders so this type of gameplay is suitable for high CHARM characters (4+):
SW-command-no.gif

P.S.
This is less of a feature and more of a bug fix but you can leave your companions now:

SW-command-please-wait.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom