Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Tytus

Arcane
What this game needs is a multi-romance mod so I can fuck all the bitches without having to play more than once.
Polygamy is wrong.

So is stealing and killing people. This is what are games for - so we can fuck multiple bitches at once including your mom, so we don't have to do in real life ;)

Codex Year of the Donut

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
What this game needs is a multi-romance mod so I can fuck all the bitches without having to play more than once.
Polygamy is wrong.

So is stealing and killing people. This is what are games for - so we can fuck multiple bitches at once including your mom, so we don't have to do in real life ;)
Stealing and killing isn't wrong if you do it to bad people.
Define bad, or you'll have a lot of stealing and killing on your hands :hmmm:

Codex Year of the Donut
Polygamy is wrong.

Stealing and killing isn't wrong if you do it to bad people.
Define bad, or you'll have a lot of stealing and killing on your hands :hmmm:
Whatever I dislike, of course.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So, it seems to me they are trying to remake the game into a sci-fi shooter with moar lens flare, palm trees, bigger tits, and bounce lights? Missed anything important?

Some of the environments look a bit better though, so probably those people were the sane ones in the team.

Haven't played the trilogy yet, but if I am going to, I think I will skip this "Legendary J. J. Abrams Edition". The original screenshots seem more natural and characterful to my photographer eyes.

Also, what's up with this 4k retardedness for 3D motion graphics? It makes sense in normal productivity desktop apps or maybe text heavy games (font sharpness is better etc), but otherwise just use 1080p with 2x integer scaling, like normal people, and be done with it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Too much dev effort to fix the endings, but lots of time and money available to add this.

A photo mode requires significantly less investment to implement, yes.

J1M

Arcane
Too much dev effort to fix the endings, but lots of time and money available to add this.

A photo mode requires significantly less investment to implement, yes.
You've used this argument before. It's just as stupid now as it was then.

a) Doing nothing would cost less than implementing selfie mode.
b) We are talking about one of the largest game publishers on the planet. They are not lacking in resources.
c) Deleting the bullshit ending and replacing it with narrated stills costs very little. Some photoshopped images, a little writing, and the codex narrator in the sound booth for an hour would be a drastic improvement over what ME3 shipped with.

They don't want to change the ending because it would be an admission of failure. It has nothing to do with resources, costs, time, or anything like that. (And don't try to quote me one of Casey Hudson's lies to the 'press' as a counterargument.)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

It's a feature a lot of games have had since the last gen. Just requires some programming and UI work.

b) We are talking about one of the largest game publishers on the planet. They are not lacking in resources.

Having resources doesn't mean throwing cost-benefit analyses out the window.

Deleting the bullshit ending and replacing it with narrated stills costs very little.

Replacing cinematics with stills would make them more of a laughingstock. :lol: You don't end a heavily cinematic game with stills.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
They don't want to change the ending because it would be an admission of failure. It has nothing to do with resources, costs, time, or anything like that.
Or it's because this remaster is just a quick cash-in. They're not going to bother doing anything that requires a decent amount of effort.

J1M

Arcane

It's a feature a lot of games have had since the last gen. Just requires some programming and UI work.

Having resources doesn't mean throwing cost-benefit analyses out the window.

Deleting the bullshit ending and replacing it with narrated stills costs very little.

Replacing cinematics with stills would make them more of a laughingstock. :lol: You don't end a heavily cinematic game with stills.
Walk me through the thought process behind them releasing the extended cut DLC. Tell me about resources and cost-benefit on that one.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Walk me through the thought process behind them releasing the extended cut DLC. Tell me about resources and cost-benefit on that one.

The fans were mad and not going away. The non Hudson/Walters writers were also unhappy with the ending. Since it silenced the majority of complaints, it was worth the additional cost.

Semiurge

Cipher
I sincerely hope that the best intimate cutscene in the series remains intact: incel Shepard right after embarking on the point of no return in Mass Effect 3.

I lose it every time the camera focuses on the empty side of the bed where the romance option should be. Nobody loves me... Nobody loves me... lol

"Shepard lies on his luxurious spectre-size bed, alone. A lone tear runs down his cheek as he stares at the stars through his ceiling window. Then he reaches for the lotion on his bedside table - cutscene ends."

Everyone wins. Gamers love photo modes because it allows them to make cool screenshots to show off, devs love photo modes because they're easy to implement and they allow gamers to do some marketing for them.

Vorark

Erudite
https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect/mass-effect-legendary-edition/news/visual-improvements

Our lighting designers followed closely behind the level artists, ensuring that all of the beautified environments and characters were always shown in their best, well, light. Mass Effect’s specific lighting style features high-contrast spotlights and a heavy use of complementary colors. That style was refined heavily throughout the trilogy, so we were able to bring many of those improvements back into the first game. We focused on maintaining that high-contrast look while adding natural bounce lighting to ensure characters are lit more consistently and beautifully.

High-contrast? Shadows are so soft characters appear to be made of plastic or wax. The original manages to be more atmospheric and noir-esque with its (intentionally or not) crushed blacks.

me1.gif

Even worse:

mele-visual-improvements-fpo1.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg

Look at those eyes. They are dead, Jim.
rating_prosper.png

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
High-contrast? Shadows are so soft characters appear to be made of plastic or wax. The original manages to be more atmospheric and noir-esque with its (intentionally or not) crushed blacks.

Exactly how I see it judging by these screenshots. The originals look is much matter; hard light & hard shadows is much more interesting that diffuse soft light. And the new look is too videogamey.

Tytus

Arcane

It already kinda does - the Extended Cut DLC added stills to explain what happens after the ending :P

Tytus

Arcane

I mean who is this remaster for. Surely for the BioDrone crowd because it doesn't expand on the romance aspect - there are mods for that - like the ones seen above.

It isn't for the RPG crowd because they don't really do anything with RPG mechanics.

It isn't for die hard players because they played the game so many times already and there is not enough change in the remaster to justify the full price here.

It is probably for the console kids that grew up during the 14-year gap and never played original games - but even then - will they want to pay full price for 10+ old games when they have so many new ones?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom