Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The most fearsome, frightening monster in any RPG is...

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Demilich

Monster_Manual_5e_-_Demilich_-_p48.jpg

FTFY.

For pics from https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/ (usually wikia.com or fandom.com websites), in the link you have to remove everything after the file extension (here .jpg).
So this will work: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/5/5c/Monster_Manual_5e_-_Demilich_-_p48.jpg
This won't: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/f...h_-_p48.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141111110849

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

same for me, actually. encountered one in Tortured Hearts near the endgame. That thing was brutal, couldn't even scrape it with a full 6-person higher level party (level 17 or 18 or so). we'd be dead in mere seconds. so eventually i tried to sneak past it, it saw us and chased but i was able to level switch and leave it in the dust. only enemy in the game (iirc) that we didn't kill.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I still hate Daggerfall spiders. The Grue in Fargoal 2 is fucking horrible. The darkness just spawn more.

Lambach

Arcane
Since most of the good stuff has been mentioned already, I'll submit the final boss of Clive Barker's Jericho, The Firstborn. Not particularly scary, per se, but it is kinda unsettling that the final boss fight has you shoot something that looks like a naked, bald, black toddler. (skip to 0:58)

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Spinners. I fucking hate spinners. You've never experienced true pain until you played Strahd's Possession. Teleporters and Spinners everywhere.

I was introduced to spinners in the C64 version of Bard's Tale III many years ago and found them pretty annoying, especially in conjunction with the broken (?) encounter rate where you ran into a monster group every other step + the need to map. I had rage-quit back then, but the remaster(s) were quite fun due to all the QoL enhancements.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Spinners. I fucking hate spinners. You've never experienced true pain until you played Strahd's Possession. Teleporters and Spinners everywhere.

I was introduced to spinners in the C64 version of Bard's Tale III many years ago and found them pretty annoying, especially in conjunction with the broken (?) encounter rate where you ran into a monster group every other step + the need to map. I had rage-quit back then, but the remaster(s) were quite fun due to all the QoL enhancements.

Equip the Nospen
thering.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

Equip the Nospen
thering.png
Yep.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
RxoSW8f.png

Scavenger bot from Sword of the Stars: The Pit. Fucker could steal a random item from your inventory and run away with it. In a roguelike game, with very high randomness when it comes to drops. Even more scary is a bot that has a special ability to summon several of those. Basically if you saw one accompanied by a Very Dangerous Monster(tm) - you still targeted the bot first. That is what I call truly fearsome.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Brown mold was always fucking terrifying in alternate reality (maybe slimes too or any diseased bitch).

Arulan

Cipher
Kenshi has a few good contenders. If you've played the game you'll know how terrifying running into either of these two creatures are. They're incredibly fast, can spot you from a mile away, and will eat you alive. You see if you're defeated, that is in most encounters in Kenshi, you're not done for. You may be left to bleed out on the side of the road or taken into slavery, but you could still have a future. These things just eat you alive. At best you can hope that that they're content with eating one of your party members, while the others make a run for it. Oh, and the Blood Spiders also have a habit of tearing your limbs clean off during combat. Have fun with that.

Beak Thing

8vwffwv6xkw41.jpg

Blood Spiders

q9ur7pdvda951.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom