Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mafia 1

revealer

Augur
Is there a way to play this on win10?

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
not playing retail? I suppose lack of safedisc support is the issue

so nocd crack?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Windows 10 is really bad with old games. The only thing I dislike about it. Windows 7 played every old game I had flawlessly. I still have an old desktop with Windows 7 that I once used for old games. I tried playing Alpha Centauri, Dungeon Keeper, PIRATES, and Sims: 2, just to name a few, with my Windows 10 computer. You either had to install some patch, .dll something, or do something goofy that's written only on GOG forum. I can play most games on the Windows 7 shitty rig, but something like PIRATES and Sims: 2, I can't.

I wish I can say that I said fuck it and didn't play them, but I followed the instructions. I'm not doing it again, though. Well, I've been having a hankering to play Sims: 2 lately, so I might do it to relax myself a bit from all this grueling studying.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I tried playing Alpha Centauri, Dungeon Keeper,
I dunno, I played those two out of the box on my Windows 10. It's probably more of a hit or miss case.
I tried it on my rig, and it said something odd. I saw the "solution" on GOG's forums, but again, I said fuck it and loaded it up on my Windows 7 rig, which I was using anyways for my thesis coding at the time. It's an old cheap Dell.

Since then, it's been moved to my attic since I got a "gaming laptop" to do my coding on, but I still keep it around because the hardrive has very important stuff. I have huge doubts that I'll ever connect it back up, though, but you never know.

JDR13

Arcane
I'm always a little surprised when I see people say Windows 10 is bad for older games. I haven't had any more issues than I had with Win 7 & 8. In fact, I think I've had less.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think a lot of people just don't know they need to install legacy components before you can make anything that uses directplay work (it's in the turn on and off windows features panel).

Other than that i only found Windows 10 marginally worse than Windows 7 when it comes to make older games work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom